Btrieve/relational DBMS 
Author Message
 Btrieve/relational DBMS

Dear John,

Using Pervasive.SQL it would seem that all table types would need to
be the same, i.e. you couldn't mix tables from two different database
types.

If you feel that this issue needs more attention from Pervasive

Regards,
John Schexnaydre
Pervasive Software, Inc.

On Mon, 21 Dec 1998 10:55:10 -0800, John Stutzer

Quote:

>One of the best kept secrets (to me anyways) is that Clarion provides
>"native" support of Btrieve. This being so, is it possible to develop
>relational joins/queries within Clarion for Btrieve and another database
>file? Say, MS jet/MDB or SQL server?

>thank you



Fri, 08 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 Btrieve/relational DBMS
    Thanks John,
I find it interesting to see someone from Pervasive on this site!

Regards,
don



Fri, 08 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 Btrieve/relational DBMS
Hi John,
Its good to see that someone frome Pervasive is on the newsgroup.
I hope you stay.

Steven Sitas

Quote:

>Dear John,

>Using Pervasive.SQL it would seem that all table types would need to
>be the same, i.e. you couldn't mix tables from two different database
>types.

>If you feel that this issue needs more attention from Pervasive

>Regards,
>John Schexnaydre
>Pervasive Software, Inc.

>On Mon, 21 Dec 1998 10:55:10 -0800, John Stutzer

>>One of the best kept secrets (to me anyways) is that Clarion provides
>>"native" support of Btrieve. This being so, is it possible to develop
>>relational joins/queries within Clarion for Btrieve and another database
>>file? Say, MS jet/MDB or SQL server?

>>thank you



Sat, 09 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 Btrieve/relational DBMS
Hi John!

Quote:
> But does Clarion itself provide relational capabilities
> for a Btrieve table to another record source, say Ms Sql or Jet

Yes, but without logout/commit/rollback capability!

HTH!

-- Craig (The Data Ferret)
Using Virtual Access 4.02 build 244 (32-bit) in Win95
Clarion Professional Developer 2.1 / Clarion for DOS 3.x
Clarion for Windows 1.0, 1.5, 2.0 / C4b / C5 Enterprise
Btrieve / Scalable SQL / Pervasive.SQL / SQL Anywhere 5.5
"Do not meddle in the affairs of FERRETS...."



Sat, 09 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 Btrieve/relational DBMS
Hi John,
What Graig, means is that you can use Clarion and mix Btrieve files
with any kind of file, in a query but with NO updating, inserting or
deleting.

Thats because the right way to do relational updating, inserting or
deleting with Clarion is using logout and logout cannot handle
different file formats.

If you are doing queries for Reporting or Viewing you wont ever need
to use Commit/Rollback

See also my private message to you.

Steven Sitas

On Wed, 23 Dec 1998 21:11:39 -0800, John Stutzer

Quote:

>Thanks Craig. This may be all right as I would use the Btrieve data as
>flat records anyway, the relational/transactional part resulting from a
>join/query of Btrieve to a subset of the parent/server RDMS. And let
>THAT RDMS take care of commit/rollback. Uh, I think kinda, sorta :)


>> Hi John!

>> > But does Clarion itself provide relational capabilities
>> > for a Btrieve table to another record source, say Ms Sql or Jet

>> Yes, but without logout/commit/rollback capability!

>> HTH!

>> -- Craig (The Data Ferret)
>> Using Virtual Access 4.02 build 244 (32-bit) in Win95
>> Clarion Professional Developer 2.1 / Clarion for DOS 3.x
>> Clarion for Windows 1.0, 1.5, 2.0 / C4b / C5 Enterprise
>> Btrieve / Scalable SQL / Pervasive.SQL / SQL Anywhere 5.5
>> "Do not meddle in the affairs of FERRETS...."



Sun, 10 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 Btrieve/relational DBMS
Hi Steven!

Quote:
> in a query but with NO updating, inserting or
> deleting.

NOT true! I said you cannot use logout/commit/rollback. You can
certainly update the files, but you won't enjoy the benefits that
logout/commit/rollback provide!

-- Craig (The Data Ferret)
Using Virtual Access 4.02 build 244 (32-bit) in Win95
Clarion Professional Developer 2.1 / Clarion for DOS 3.x
Clarion for Windows 1.0, 1.5, 2.0 / C4b / C5 Enterprise
Btrieve / Scalable SQL / Pervasive.SQL / SQL Anywhere 5.5
"Do not meddle in the affairs of FERRETS...."



Sun, 10 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 Btrieve/relational DBMS
You are right Craig.
My english is getting worse and worst !!!

On Wed, 23 Dec 1998 18:15:28 EST, Craig E Ransom

Quote:

>Hi Steven!

>> in a query but with NO updating, inserting or
>> deleting.

>NOT true! I said you cannot use logout/commit/rollback. You can
>certainly update the files, but you won't enjoy the benefits that
>logout/commit/rollback provide!

>-- Craig (The Data Ferret)
>Using Virtual Access 4.02 build 244 (32-bit) in Win95
>Clarion Professional Developer 2.1 / Clarion for DOS 3.x
>Clarion for Windows 1.0, 1.5, 2.0 / C4b / C5 Enterprise
>Btrieve / Scalable SQL / Pervasive.SQL / SQL Anywhere 5.5
>"Do not meddle in the affairs of FERRETS...."



Thu, 14 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 Btrieve/relational DBMS
Not too sure what the question is.

Alex J.
Pervasive Software

Quote:

>You are right Craig.
>My english is getting worse and worst !!!

>On Wed, 23 Dec 1998 18:15:28 EST, Craig E Ransom

>>Hi Steven!

>>> in a query but with NO updating, inserting or
>>> deleting.

>>NOT true! I said you cannot use logout/commit/rollback. You can
>>certainly update the files, but you won't enjoy the benefits that
>>logout/commit/rollback provide!

>>-- Craig (The Data Ferret)
>>Using Virtual Access 4.02 build 244 (32-bit) in Win95
>>Clarion Professional Developer 2.1 / Clarion for DOS 3.x
>>Clarion for Windows 1.0, 1.5, 2.0 / C4b / C5 Enterprise
>>Btrieve / Scalable SQL / Pervasive.SQL / SQL Anywhere 5.5
>>"Do not meddle in the affairs of FERRETS...."



Mon, 18 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 8 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Scheme interface to relational DBMS?

2. Pervasive SQL/Btrieve: Btrieve.nlm loading errors.

3. Problems migrating Btrieve 4.04 apps to Cobol/Btrieve 6.15 apps

4. Matisse 6.0 DBMS Supports VisualWorks 7

5. Search for Object-Oriented DBMS

6. DBMS extensions for Smalltalk st80?

7. Clarification on SQL/DBMS/DBF's

8. What DBMS do you use with Clarion?

9. Check out DBMS World !!!

10. CW Review in DBMS

11. DBMS Integration

12. What features do we want in a DBMS?

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software