Score one for the 'little guy'
Author Message
 Score one for the 'little guy'

So has anyone tried running Clarion generated apps with it?

Dave Sperling

Quote:
> LindowsOS is on the rise in a big way!

> http://www.*-*-*.com/

> Ben E. Brady
> Brady & Associates, LLC.

Thu, 02 Dec 2004 22:28:47 GMT
 Score one for the 'little guy'
How can we do that if we can only contribute yet and not get the OS?
But it's certainly interesting.

Ronald

Quote:
> So has anyone tried running Clarion generated apps with it?

> Dave Sperling

> > LindowsOS is on the rise in a big way!

> > http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/25734.html

> > Ben E. Brady
> > Brady & Associates, LLC.

Fri, 03 Dec 2004 16:20:08 GMT
 Score one for the 'little guy'
Clarion itself does not run.
I have run a couple of very simple applications with mixed results.... so my
opinion is 'not yet'.

Ben E. Brady
Brady & Associates, LLC.

Quote:
> So has anyone tried running Clarion generated apps with it?

> Dave Sperling

> > LindowsOS is on the rise in a big way!

> > http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/25734.html

> > Ben E. Brady
> > Brady & Associates, LLC.

Fri, 03 Dec 2004 22:06:32 GMT
 Score one for the 'little guy'
Here's the link to the Wal-Mart online store where the LindowsOS computers
can be found.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product_listing.gsp?cat=96356&dept=394...
0%3A3944%3A3951%3A41937%3A86796%3A96356&bti=0&sb=61

Quote:
> LindowsOS is on the rise in a big way!

> Ben E. Brady
> Brady & Associates, LLC.

Sat, 04 Dec 2004 01:13:37 GMT
 Score one for the 'little guy'
Walmart was the first retailer to ship any PC w/o an OS......  Others
shipped Linux, but Walmart had 'em w/ NO OS.

What is the Lindows license?  Is it like Linux (you can install it all you
want)?

$299 for a machine w/Lindows.  Lindows direct is $99.  So, that $200 for the
machine !!

Quote:
> Here's the link to the Wal-Mart online store where the LindowsOS computers
> can be found.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product_listing.gsp?cat=96356&dept=394...
Quote:
> 0%3A3944%3A3951%3A41937%3A86796%3A96356&bti=0&sb=61

> > LindowsOS is on the rise in a big way!

> > http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/25734.html

> > Ben E. Brady
> > Brady & Associates, LLC.

Sat, 04 Dec 2004 01:30:42 GMT
 Score one for the 'little guy'
Paul

Quote:
> What is the Lindows license?  Is it like Linux (you can install it all you
> want)?
>  Lindows direct is $99.

if there is a price for Lindows, I guess it's not like Linux. Linux is FREE.
whay you pay if you buy a Red-hat/Suse/Caldera/Mandrake/whatever box is...
the box and manuals, but you can ALWAYS download the CD images freely,
install, duplicate as much as you want freely. Linux CANNOT be sold, per his
license definition.

So, looking quickly at Lindows web site, it seems that they are not selling
the OS for $99, they are selling a one year membership to Lindows insider
for that price, but somewhere else about "licensing" they talk about family
licensing where the whole family can install the OS for $99, so my guess i
that they actually sell the future final version for $99, definitely NOT
like Linux.

Bernard

Sat, 04 Dec 2004 02:54:05 GMT
 Score one for the 'little guy'
LindowsOS >>> IS <<< Linux (Debian kernel)
The beauty of Lindows is that it can be used on ANY computer that you own
and you have complete access to the "Click N Run" warehouse and you can
download and install SEAMLESSLY.  This makes Linux a 'no-brainer' and is
probably the best way to bring Linux to the desktop.

Ben E. Brady
Brady & Associates, LLC.
Windows 98SE, W2KPro, WXPH, WXPP, LindowsOS, BeOS, Linux - Mandrake distro.

Quote:
> Paul

> > What is the Lindows license?  Is it like Linux (you can install it all
you
> > want)?
> >  Lindows direct is $99.

> if there is a price for Lindows, I guess it's not like Linux. Linux is
FREE.
> whay you pay if you buy a Red-hat/Suse/Caldera/Mandrake/whatever box is...
> the box and manuals, but you can ALWAYS download the CD images freely,
> install, duplicate as much as you want freely. Linux CANNOT be sold, per
his
> license definition.

> So, looking quickly at Lindows web site, it seems that they are not
selling
> the OS for $99, they are selling a one year membership to Lindows insider
> for that price, but somewhere else about "licensing" they talk about
family
> licensing where the whole family can install the OS for $99, so my guess i
> that they actually sell the future final version for $99, definitely NOT
> like Linux.

> Bernard

Sun, 05 Dec 2004 09:32:22 GMT
 Score one for the 'little guy'
Ben,

Quote:
> LindowsOS >>> IS <<< Linux (Debian kernel)
> The beauty of Lindows is that it can be used on ANY computer that you own
> and you have complete access to the "Click N Run" warehouse and you can
> download and install SEAMLESSLY.  This makes Linux a 'no-brainer' and is
> probably the best way to bring Linux to the desktop.

If it was pure Linux, it would have to follow Linux licensing rules. that he
use Linux kernel, there is no doubts, but I would guess that there is a
bunch of specific code to allow windows programs to run, hence a different
license.

BTW, In my previous message, I was comparing only the licenses, not the OSs.

Bernard
Tulsa, Ok.

Sun, 05 Dec 2004 21:55:09 GMT
 Score one for the 'little guy'
I believe WINE (http://www.winehq.org/) is what is being used to run Windows
applications.  I think Michael Robertson (?) is selling the Lindows
"service", where you get the complete package/distribution and access to the
"one-click" warehouse.

Quote:
> Ben,

> > LindowsOS >>> IS <<< Linux (Debian kernel)
> > The beauty of Lindows is that it can be used on ANY computer that you
own
> > and you have complete access to the "Click N Run" warehouse and you can
> > download and install SEAMLESSLY.  This makes Linux a 'no-brainer' and is
> > probably the best way to bring Linux to the desktop.

> If it was pure Linux, it would have to follow Linux licensing rules. that
he
> use Linux kernel, there is no doubts, but I would guess that there is a
> bunch of specific code to allow windows programs to run, hence a different
> license.

> BTW, In my previous message, I was comparing only the licenses, not the
OSs.

> Bernard
> Tulsa, Ok.

Sun, 05 Dec 2004 22:16:09 GMT
 Score one for the 'little guy'
Art,

Quote:
> I believe WINE (http://www.winehq.org/) is what is being used to run
Windows
> applications.  I think Michael Robertson (?) is selling the Lindows
> "service", where you get the complete package/distribution and access to
the
> "one-click" warehouse.

You might be right, as Lindows web site is very unclear technically
speaking, and seems targeted to inexperienced computer users. Seems very
strange to me the way it looks like they are selling subscriptions/licenses
and do not authorize full copy. I believe it contradict open source
licenses. Wonder what is said in the linux community about this....

If they just sell a service ( like all others Open source base companies),
they should  say so.

Bernard
Tulsa, Ok.

Sun, 05 Dec 2004 23:00:43 GMT
 Score one for the 'little guy'
This is not any different than Red Hat or Varlinux or any of the other
distros...

Ben E. Brady
Brady & Associates, LLC.

Quote:
> Art,

> > I believe WINE (http://www.winehq.org/) is what is being used to run
> Windows
> > applications.  I think Michael Robertson (?) is selling the Lindows
> > "service", where you get the complete package/distribution and access to
> the
> > "one-click" warehouse.

> You might be right, as Lindows web site is very unclear technically
> speaking, and seems targeted to inexperienced computer users. Seems very
> strange to me the way it looks like they are selling

subscriptions/licenses
Quote:
> and do not authorize full copy. I believe it contradict open source
> licenses. Wonder what is said in the linux community about this....

> If they just sell a service ( like all others Open source base companies),
> they should  say so.

> Bernard
> Tulsa, Ok.

Mon, 06 Dec 2004 01:52:58 GMT

1. One guy's ideas about Tk4.0

2. 'Scoring' programs - Mainframe and PC

3. VHDL Analog Extensions: what's the score?

4. less noisy 'call'

5. A 'Little Lisp'?

6. A 'Little Lisp'?

7. Little smalltalk ';'

8. One's clutter is another's lesson

9. Here's An Easy One for You(Obviously I'm too Stupid)

10. More than one 'Range Limit Field'

11. One and One doesn't equal two It equals 1 - The Who

12. One and One doesn't equal two It equals 1 - The Who