Clarion not compatible with Windows 2000
Author Message
 Clarion not compatible with Windows 2000

C4c causes a access violation in wow32.dll....CCrrrrassshhhhh.

Wed, 05 Mar 2003 13:50:26 GMT
 Clarion not compatible with Windows 2000
C4C was a unofficial build that was never released so I wouldn't expect
anything but possible
problems.  Time to upgrade.

Michael Gould
Omni Computer Consulting, Inc.

Quote:
> C4c causes a access violation in wow32.dll....CCrrrrassshhhhh.

Wed, 05 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Clarion not compatible with Windows 2000
Clarion 4 came out in around 97 - thats a 3 year shift in the
technology. Therefore it should be rephrased as
Windows 2000 is not compatible to C4! If the underlying OS
changed it is not the fault at all of Clarion. To resolve this the
best solution is to upgrade.

--
James Cooke
Certified Clarion Developer

Wed, 05 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Clarion not compatible with Windows 2000
On Sat, 16 Sep 2000 17:50:26 +1200, "anona mouse" <anona

Quote:

>C4c causes a access violation in wow32.dll....CCrrrrassshhhhh.

Don't let the mouse pointer hover over the buttons on the top right of
a window (Min, Max/Res, Close) because the tooltip popping up is what
causes the crash.  Either that or change the registry entry that
disables those popups.

Where you been?  This has been hashed and rehashed for over six months
now?  Why am I even bothering responding to somebody who can't even
identify themselves?

Brett

Wed, 05 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Clarion not compatible with Windows 2000
See MSKB article Q186385
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q186/3/85.ASP

Quote:
> C4c causes a access violation in wow32.dll....CCrrrrassshhhhh.

Wed, 05 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Clarion not compatible with Windows 2000

Quote:

>Where you been?  This has been hashed and rehashed for over six months
>now?  Why am I even bothering responding to somebody who can't even
>identify themselves?

Because now you can. <G>

b. rgds.
Richard (The Sylkie)
Oslo

Calm down folks...it's all just 0's and 1's.

Wed, 05 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Clarion not compatible with Windows 2000

First of all I'm getting a bit angry that you should upgrade all the time.
First i bought cw 1.5 prof. upgraded to CW4 prof.. Two months after my
upgrade I could upgrade from CW 1.5 to CW5 for the same price as I did for
CW4 of course i didn't do that!
Secondly the bug exist also in CW5.
Third: It can't be to difficult for Softvelocity to make a patch for CW4c
and for CW5.
4: In the meantime sombody could write a cw project program that can change
the registry in the way Malcolm Fear wrote in the following message:

Thanks to Malcolm Fear.

disable the ToolTips that are displayed when you move the mouse pointer
over the Minimize, Maximize or Close buttons in all windows. Use Registry
Editor to modify the "UserPreferencemask" value in the
following key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\desktop

Make note of the value. (For example: 9E 3E 00 80)

Double-click the UserPreferencemask entry. Under Value Data, the cursor
is in front of the first value (for example from above: 9E). For the
first number or letter, see below for the correct value to use in the
next step (the second number/letter remain the same):

If first is "8", use "0" (number 0) If first is "9", use "1" If first is
"a", use "2"If first is "b", use "3"If first is "c", use "4"If first is
"d", use "5"If first is "e", use "6"
My setting was  0000 9E 3E 00 80
I changed it to 0000 1E 3E 00 80
Then reboot. You will notice that the tooltips won't show (only on
Minimize, Maximize or Close buttons) and Clarion won't crash

D. Kruise

Sat, 08 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Clarion not compatible with Windows 2000
I started years ago with CD3.1; moved with the times for a while but then
found that (the then) Clarion folk (Topspeed), seemed to have their own
style of marketing. This, in my opinion was the continual revision and
release of what the Microsoft folk call "Service packs"... but Topspeed
called them "upgrades" and charged accordingly. As a result of  the proposal
to keep emptying my wallet I drifted back to my old friends Foxpro and VB.
Neither of these products, I believe, have the advanced technological
foundation that Clarion has always enjoyed ... a fine compiler and robust
core code... however.. small exe's and compact applications aren't
everything and in these days of 20Gb drives, PIII rocket ships, having a
"runtime library" (MS speak for a translator) is bordering on irrelevant.

I have been looking around lately for alternatives, as my old friends have
taken on new skins again in their 6.0 rebirths and forced me to reacquaint
myself. But in looking around I revisited the old CW code, manuals, and all
the issues. Looking at the Soft Velocity Site I now find some improvements
and changes. A spade is called a spade (or a service pack is a service pack
as it were) but on the other hand patch file downloads for CW4 have given
way to a $60.00 US C.D. (I can still download files for foxpro 2.6 from
Microsoft). I also find that worst feature of Clarion (in my view) just got
badder....that would be the public and free information available to
developers. The OOP developer forum is now "absorbed" into an $80.00? US
online subscription. This has always been a piss-off for me. I reckon I
understand the concepts of OOP reasonably well (I just got 100/100 for an
Academic paper on the subject).... Now if I want to actually use OOP to
say.. override the default relational file manager CLASS in CW... what is
there to fill the gap between understanding the concept and actually coding
and implementing it ? If I compare again, Clarion to Microsoft, I can jump
on the web and find an answer to a programming problem in an MS product /
language but in Clarion ? not so.

Well, now that I've had my say... I can conclude by stating that I am not
yet convinced that I should reinvest (my time & money) in Clarion but I be
watching the newsgroups and surfing around.... ever diligent and watchful. I
cordially invite responses from the group and I value any feedback on this
subject.

Cheers

Richard Lincoln
Information Technology Services
Massey University
New Zealand

THE OPINIONS AND VIEWS EXPRESSED HEREIN ARE MY OWN AND ARE NOT NECESSARILY
THE OPINIONS OR VIEWS OF MASSEY UNIVERSITY.

Quote:

> First of all I'm getting a bit angry that you should upgrade all the time.
> First i bought cw 1.5 prof. upgraded to CW4 prof.. Two months after my
> upgrade I could upgrade from CW 1.5 to CW5 for the same price as I did for
> CW4 of course i didn't do that!
> Secondly the bug exist also in CW5.
> Third: It can't be to difficult for Softvelocity to make a patch for CW4c
> and for CW5.
> 4: In the meantime sombody could write a cw project program that can
change
> the registry in the way Malcolm Fear wrote in the following message:

> Thanks to Malcolm Fear.

> disable the ToolTips that are displayed when you move the mouse pointer
> over the Minimize, Maximize or Close buttons in all windows. Use Registry
> Editor to modify the "UserPreferencemask" value in the
> following key:

> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\desktop

> Make note of the value. (For example: 9E 3E 00 80)

> Double-click the UserPreferencemask entry. Under Value Data, the cursor
> is in front of the first value (for example from above: 9E). For the
> first number or letter, see below for the correct value to use in the
> next step (the second number/letter remain the same):

> If first is "8", use "0" (number 0) If first is "9", use "1" If first is
> "a", use "2"If first is "b", use "3"If first is "c", use "4"If first is
> "d", use "5"If first is "e", use "6"
> My setting was  0000 9E 3E 00 80
> I changed it to 0000 1E 3E 00 80
> Then reboot. You will notice that the tooltips won't show (only on
> Minimize, Maximize or Close buttons) and Clarion won't crash

> D. Kruise

Sun, 09 Mar 2003 05:45:03 GMT

1. Clarion 5.5 EE not compatible with Windows WinXP

2. Zope compatible with Windows 2000?

3. is Tcl/Tk compatible w/ Windows 2000?

4. Tcl Expect Compatible With Windows 2000?

5. Clarion for Windows and Windows 2000

6. windows.h not found, compiling 1.6.7 under cygwin/windows 2000

7. Clarion on Windows 2000

8. Clarion on Windows 2000 & IIS 5

9. Clarion 5.5 on windows 2000 IIS5

10. Windows 2000 server IIS5 and Clarion 5.5

11. Windows 2000 & Clarion 5

12. clarion 5b in windows 2000