Help with LOCUS edit in place
Author Message
 Help with LOCUS edit in place

Anyone out there have any experience with the LOCUS edit in place
templates?  I am impressed with the feature set, but have a problem I
can't wuite conquer.  I have a situation where I am creating a petty
cash voucher system.  It is very similar to the invoice and detail
relationship whereby there is a header record and assorted detail
records creating the total.  The problem I am having is that I need to
allow for the user to enter a batch total for the line items to be
entered and then that batch total is compared to the calculated line
totals.  If the comparison is identical the record is saved and no
problems exist.  However, I also need to allow for the user to save
the line items even if the totals do not match up.  The total computed
and the total entered are saved in the header record and used to show
colored discrepancies.  I have all of this working well and am using
the LOCUS edit inplace for the child detail line items on the form to
update the header record.  I am also using the LOCUS calculate totals
in a browse box for the calculated totals.  The problem is that if the
user enters an amount in the field that is used in the calculation, it
works fine at the first entry; however, if they modify the field after
that entry the calculated totals are incorrect until the record is
saved.  I am trying to find the right embed to force a calculation,
but am out of luck.  Can anyone lend a hand?

I would apprecitae copies of responses sent to

indicated.  Thank you in advance.

Fri, 01 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Help with LOCUS edit in place
Jeff, have you tried the ole LPM trick of before update/after update
totaling?

Before any update, you subtract the value of your item from the total.
After update you add it. For an add, there is no value so your just
adding it, on a delete there is no value when you return so your just
subtracting. On an update, you subtract going in and add coming out, so
you still get a good total.

HTH!

Quote:

> Anyone out there have any experience with the LOCUS edit in place
> templates?  I am impressed with the feature set, but have a problem I
> can't wuite conquer.  I have a situation where I am creating a petty
> cash voucher system.  It is very similar to the invoice and detail
> relationship whereby there is a header record and assorted detail
> records creating the total.  The problem I am having is that I need to
> allow for the user to enter a batch total for the line items to be
> entered and then that batch total is compared to the calculated line
> totals.  If the comparison is identical the record is saved and no
> problems exist.  However, I also need to allow for the user to save
> the line items even if the totals do not match up.  The total computed
> and the total entered are saved in the header record and used to show
> colored discrepancies.  I have all of this working well and am using
> the LOCUS edit inplace for the child detail line items on the form to
> update the header record.  I am also using the LOCUS calculate totals
> in a browse box for the calculated totals.  The problem is that if the
> user enters an amount in the field that is used in the calculation, it
> works fine at the first entry; however, if they modify the field after
> that entry the calculated totals are incorrect until the record is
> saved.  I am trying to find the right embed to force a calculation,
> but am out of luck.  Can anyone lend a hand?

> I would apprecitae copies of responses sent to

> indicated.  Thank you in advance.

Fri, 01 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Help with LOCUS edit in place
John,

It seems as if we are on the same page.  I spent a good deal of time
and finally have it working.  It appears that the Locus Templates for
Edit in place are not perfectly suited to the Locus total a value in
the browse box.  I removed the totaling template and hand coded the
totaling logic in the total embed.  In addition, I drilled down to the
validation embed for the edit in place and used a save total prior and
update total after to correctly calculate the totals.  Everything
works great.  Thanks for your response.

Jeff

Quote:

>Jeff, have you tried the ole LPM trick of before update/after update
>totaling?

>Before any update, you subtract the value of your item from the total.
>After update you add it. For an add, there is no value so your just
>adding it, on a delete there is no value when you return so your just
>subtracting. On an update, you subtract going in and add coming out, so
>you still get a good total.

...>> user enters an amount in the field that is used in the
calculation, it
Quote:
>> works fine at the first entry; however, if they modify the field after
>> that entry the calculated totals are incorrect until the record is
>> saved.

Sat, 02 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. place control in edit in place

2. Edit drop list Edit in place - problem

3. Help with edit-in-place

4. Help: How to make validation check working on Edit-in-place of a browser

5. HELP: Edit in Place Accept???

6. Please Help: Adding Edit-in-Place checkbox to a List Box

7. Nead Help Whith edit in place

8. Edit In Place Help

9. Help Edit-in-place

10. help on edit-in-place

11. Edit In Place Validation - Help Please

12. Edit in place - Help