Neat tip from MS to show User and Computer Name
Author Message
 Neat tip from MS to show User and Computer Name

MS sent this out, and I thought I would share with the group.
WARNING!!: Use this at your own risk. Make sure you use the 32-bit registry
editor (regedt32.exe).

TIPS, TRICKS & SHAREWARE
UPDATE WINDOWS NT TIP OF THE WEEK

DETERMINE A COMPUTER NAME OR LOGGED-ON USERNAME
Do you support users where the hardest part is trying to determine their
computer name or the logged-on username? Wouldn't it be great if this
information were always on the desktop? Here's how:

1. Start the Registry editor (regedt32.exe)
2. Move to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}.
3. Select the <No Name> value and Delete.
4. From the Edit menu select Add Value.
5. Leave the value name blank and set the type to REG_EXPAND_SZ.
6. Click OK and enter the text "User: %USERNAME% on: %COMPUTERNAME%".
7. Click OK.

Click the desktop and press F5 (for refresh) and the change takes effect.
Now, when each user logs on to the workstation, the My Computer icon on the
desktop will have the text "User: xxxxxx on: wwwwww" in place of the text
"My Computer." The usual warnings and disclaimers about editing the Registry
apply.

Sun, 21 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Neat tip from MS to show User and Computer Name

Quote:
> MS sent this out, and I thought I would share with the group.
> WARNING!!: Use this at your own risk. Make sure you use the 32-bit
registry
> editor (regedt32.exe).

> TIPS, TRICKS & SHAREWARE
> UPDATE WINDOWS NT TIP OF THE WEEK

> DETERMINE A COMPUTER NAME OR LOGGED-ON USERNAME
> Do you support users where the hardest part is trying to determine their
> computer name or the logged-on username? Wouldn't it be great if this
> information were always on the desktop? Here's how:

> 1. Start the Registry editor (regedt32.exe)
> 2. Move to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}.
> 3. Select the <No Name> value and Delete.
> 4. From the Edit menu select Add Value.
> 5. Leave the value name blank and set the type to REG_EXPAND_SZ.
> 6. Click OK and enter the text "User: %USERNAME% on: %COMPUTERNAME%".
> 7. Click OK.

> Click the desktop and press F5 (for refresh) and the change takes effect.
> Now, when each user logs on to the workstation, the My Computer icon on
the
> desktop will have the text "User: xxxxxx on: wwwwww" in place of the text
> "My Computer." The usual warnings and disclaimers about editing the
Registry
> apply.

I just tried this.  I don't see any "<No Name>" value anywhere.  I did
change the text that read "My Computer" to text including the two
environment variables above, but they were not expanded.  Has anyone got
this to work yet?

                            -Ray.

Wrapmation, Inc.                        www.wrapmation.com
Westmount, Quebec, Canada               ICQ: 33311727

Mon, 22 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Neat tip from MS to show User and Computer Name
Cool.

Larry Craddock

Mon, 22 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Neat tip from MS to show User and Computer Name
Hi Ray,

Yeah, as soon as you select the key in the left column you should see the
"<No Name>" value in the right column. Just double click on that. At least
that's what I had. Worked as advertised. I'm running NT4 ... don't know if
it's the same on 95 or 98.

Larry Craddock

Quote:

> I just tried this.  I don't see any "<No Name>" value anywhere.  I did
> change the text that read "My Computer" to text including the two
> environment variables above, but they were not expanded.  Has anyone got
> this to work yet?

>                             -Ray.

Mon, 22 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Image not showing up on all computers

2. News & Tips Computers/Internet

3. Legacy example of showing a status screen for a DNSless connection to an MS SQL database

4. Converting a Topspeed APP to Run on MS SQL7 Server, Need tips

5. SHOW87.EXE - MS-DOS TSR shows 8087 Registers

6. A performance tip for manipulating MS Access Tables

7. Show a method name

8. Tip for names in listboxes

9. Another tip for full names in listboxes

10. Feature names (Eiffel tip of the week #2)

11. Showing a schedule in the users timezone

12. Showing IP address of a user...