Trouble loading comma delimited records
Author Message
 Trouble loading comma delimited records

I'm trying to import comma delimited data into Btrieve files.  There are
164 string fields in each BASIC record.  The records are 500 to 800
bytes long.  All fields are surrounded by
double quotes.  I created a Process in my app and embedded code for each
TakeRecord  to put the BASIC data fields into the fields in two Btrieve
files and ADD or PUT the records.  The problem is that the process is
not reading every record.  It's reading every 11th or 12th record.  If I
run it over and over it picks up different records.  I've verified the
record structure so I'm not crossing record boundaries (and if I did, I
think there would be pieces of other records in the good ones).  It may
have something to do with the Btrieve driver but I can't figure it out.
However, at first I was using a 32bit Btrieve Server client and getting
corrupted data.  Now I'm using the 32bit Btrieve Workstation client and
getting the behavior described above.  Also the BASIC record declaration
has a group dimmed 20 with several fields in it.  Clarion didn't balk at
it but I remember some problem with that years ago.

Any suggestions are appreciated,
Brad Kunkel

Sat, 26 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Trouble loading comma delimited records
Figured it out myself.  It turned out to be two problems.  Using the Btrieve
Server client instead of the Btrieve Workstation client -- who knows why.
And using a dimmed Group
in the filespec for the BASIC file.  The dictionary editor lets you setup a
file like that but it doesn't work.  I wish they would fix that.

Thanks,
Brad Kunkel

Quote:

> I'm trying to import comma delimited data into Btrieve files.  There are
> 164 string fields in each BASIC record.  The records are 500 to 800
> bytes long.  All fields are surrounded by
> double quotes.  I created a Process in my app and embedded code for each
> TakeRecord  to put the BASIC data fields into the fields in two Btrieve
> files and ADD or PUT the records.  The problem is that the process is
> not reading every record.  It's reading every 11th or 12th record.  If I
> run it over and over it picks up different records.  I've verified the
> record structure so I'm not crossing record boundaries (and if I did, I
> think there would be pieces of other records in the good ones).  It may
> have something to do with the Btrieve driver but I can't figure it out.
> However, at first I was using a 32bit Btrieve Server client and getting
> corrupted data.  Now I'm using the 32bit Btrieve Workstation client and
> getting the behavior described above.  Also the BASIC record declaration
> has a group dimmed 20 with several fields in it.  Clarion didn't balk at
> it but I remember some problem with that years ago.

> Any suggestions are appreciated,
> Brad Kunkel

Sat, 26 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Convert comma-delimited records to fixed length records

2. matching records in a comma delimited file

3. Reading Comma delimited, Quoted String records

4. getting fields NOT comma delimited with commas inside

5. Parsing Comma delimited files in J

6. comma delimited

7. Comma delimited file problem

8. AWK & Comma Delimited Text

9. 2.01 Comma delimited ASCII file

10. Import comma delimited text file

11. VW code to read comma-delimited text files??

12. importing from a comma delimited file