Dot matrix printers: WOW!
Author Message
 Dot matrix printers: WOW!

                       - - - - - - - - - -
Kelvin Chua wrote (regarding slow dot-matrix printing):

Quote:
> Has it got to do with the 'Spool Settings' at the Printer Settings?
> I usually set it to printer direct to the printer, no spooling.
> Wonder if this helps.  Another way to speed up the printing, which
> I usually did was to set the graphic printing to the minimum.

NO! Remember - I'm using PRINTER fonts.

There may be a small misunderstanding here.  The **printer-mechanism**
actually prints slow! It seems as if the printer head moves back and
forth as it prints each item/field on a report.

This is what I do:

I use an Epson LX-100 80-column dot-matrix, with its correct
Windows-driver. Using this driver, I select only fonts that appear
next to a small printer icon in the font-dialog window, e.g. "DRAFT 10
cpi".

Now when I print a report, one can actually hear and see the
printer NOT printing graphics, but normal DOS-like printing - EXCEPT
for the head seemingly jumping back and forth over each item.

NOW HEAR THIS:
-----------------------

I activated WRITE, typed some text, selected the LX-100 and set all
the text to a printer font..... AND IT PRINTED AT FULL (YES FULL!!)
"DOS"-SPEED.

So the problem is NOT the printer!
It's NOT the driver either!!
And it's NOT Windows either!!!

It must be something in my reports or something to do with the way in
which Clarion generates its reports!!!!!!!!

Please try something like this and see if you agree!!!

TIA

Freddie Roux
FarSoft, UPINGTON, South Africa

voice:          +27 (054) 24007
fax:            +27 (054) 24401
cell:           082 574 0819
s/mail:         P.O. Box 2465, UPINGTON, 8800
                South Africa

Software from far-away, but definitely NOT
the far side of software!

Also PoP for GEM Internet Cmpy in Upington.

Wed, 22 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Dot matrix printers: WOW!

                       - - - - - - - - - -
Hi Freddie,

Quote:
>Now when I print a report, one can actually hear and see the
>printer NOT printing graphics, but normal DOS-like printing - EXCEPT
>for the head seemingly jumping back and forth over each item.

I've seen this - long time ago;)  What I think the problem is, is a
wrong printer driver.  If you are using the "correct" printer driver
in windows, try some of the generic Epson/IBM drivers (like Epson 80+
or IBM ProPrinter II).  I remember this problem on a printer that was
using the correct driver and when it was changed to another driver,
that was compatible, it worked fine, but with it's own driver it would
print each item or each word 2 or even 4 times.

Best regards,

Arnor Baldvinsson
Allerup Edb
Tel: +45 4675 7122
Fax: +45 4675 7144
Denmark

http://www.icetips.com
UIN nr.: 2428601

Wed, 22 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Dot matrix printers: WOW!

                       - - - - - - - - - -
Freddie

I've just seen some of your later replies.  The problem is Clarion's print
engine.  Your printer is printing under close program control, hence the
wierd head behaviour back and forth.  Clarion is not interpreting the font
correctly or not implementing the driver characteristics properly.

The only other reason it might do this is if you have some printer font
features like bold, double-strike or double-width set that Clarion
implements differently to the other Windows progs.  Again, this will show
up in a hexdump and if you work through the dump you will be able to see
the printer commands being sent.  You should just see the raw text, CR/LF
pairs and a few control codes.

I doubt it's the driver as other progs are OK.  In any case, probably not
much you can do about it!!!

Rod Nugent

----------

-------------
| Freddie Roux
| FarSoft, UPINGTON, South Africa
|

| voice:                +27 (054) 24007
| fax:          +27 (054) 24401
| cell:         082 574 0819
| s/mail:               P.O. Box 2465, UPINGTON, 8800
|               South Africa
|
| Software from far-away, but definitely NOT
| the far side of software!
|
| Also PoP for GEM Internet Cmpy in Upington.

--------------

Thu, 23 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Dot matrix printers: WOW!

Freddie, you may be right, have you checked the source code version of
your report definition, accessed via the '...' button, to see if there
are any non-printer fonts defined in your report?

The reason I ask is because you say you  'select only fonts that
appear next to a small printer icon in the font-dialog window, e.g.
"DRAFT 10 cpi"'  Not in Clarion for Windows you don't!!  Clarion for
Windows does not allow you to select printer fonts!!  If you want to
use printer fonts you have to type the name in from the source code
editor.

It might be worth a look at the source code, since some true-type
fonts might exist in your report which would result in the behaviour
you describe.  Just a thought?

Quote:
>I use an Epson LX-100 80-column dot-matrix, with its correct
>Windows-driver. Using this driver, I select only fonts that appear
>next to a small printer icon in the font-dialog window, e.g. "DRAFT 10
>cpi".

>Now when I print a report, one can actually hear and see the
>printer NOT printing graphics, but normal DOS-like printing - EXCEPT
>for the head seemingly jumping back and forth over each item.

>It must be something in my reports or something to do with the way in
>which Clarion generates its reports!!!!!!!!

>Please try something like this and see if you agree!!!

ComForMark
Computer services For Marketing
Sydney,  Australia

Thu, 23 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Dot matrix printers: WOW!

                       - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:

> I have done a number of apps where the customer uses a dot matrix printer
> and needs fast output - what I have done is the following and it works
> every time :-

> In the Report Formatter set a default font by using Edit..Font..and select
> Courier Regular 10. Do not set fonts for anything else in the Report
> Formatter unless you really need to.

Nope!

I've eagerly tried this, but (maybe because COURIER is NOT a printer
font for the EPSON LX100), the printer goes into graphics mode and
prints rreaalllyyy sslloooowww.

Cheers.
Freddie Roux
FarSoft, UPINGTON, South Africa

voice:          +27 (054) 24007
fax:            +27 (054) 24401
cell:           082 574 0819
s/mail:         P.O. Box 2465, UPINGTON, 8800
                South Africa

Software from far-away, but definitely NOT
the far side of software!

Also PoP for GEM Internet Cmpy in Upington.

Thu, 23 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Dot matrix printers: WOW!

                       - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:

> Freddie, you may be right, have you checked the source code version of
> your report definition, accessed via the '...' button, to see if there
> are any non-printer fonts defined in your report?

Yep - checked that quite a few times.

Quote:
> The reason I ask is because you say you  'select only fonts that
> appear next to a small printer icon in the font-dialog window, e.g.
> "DRAFT 10 cpi"'  Not in Clarion for Windows you don't!!  Clarion for
> Windows does not allow you to select printer fonts!!  If you want to
> use printer fonts you have to type the name in from the source code
> editor.

I don't use templates.

I've actually written a DLL that I use in all my apps which pops up a
"printer-dialog" whenever the user wants to print. This
printer-dialog has some buttons and stuff where the user can
actually set the fonts of every individual item on the report. I use
the
ReportName$ItemNo{PROP:Font}      =  whatever

way of achieving this.

But I've battled with this slow-printing problem for quite some
months now, and tried many variations, i.e. like setting ONE font for
the whole report.

Quote:
> It might be worth a look at the source code, since some true-type
> fonts might exist in your report which would result in the behaviour
> you describe.  Just a thought?

Thanx.
Freddie Roux
FarSoft, UPINGTON, South Africa

voice:          +27 (054) 24007
fax:            +27 (054) 24401
cell:           082 574 0819
s/mail:         P.O. Box 2465, UPINGTON, 8800
                South Africa

Software from far-away, but definitely NOT
the far side of software!

Also PoP for GEM Internet Cmpy in Upington.

Thu, 23 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Dot matrix printers: WOW!

                       - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:

> I've seen this - long time ago;)  What I think the problem is, is a
> wrong printer driver.  If you are using the "correct" printer driver
> in windows, try some of the generic Epson/IBM drivers (like Epson 80+
> or IBM ProPrinter II).  I remember this problem on a printer that was
> using the correct driver and when it was changed to another driver,
> that was compatible, it worked fine, but with it's own driver it would
> print each item or each word 2 or even 4 times.

I also considered this, but why then does Write and MSWord and
WordPerfect print FFAASSTTT using this same printer with the same
driver I'm using?

Thanx
Freddie Roux
FarSoft, UPINGTON, South Africa

voice:          +27 (054) 24007
fax:            +27 (054) 24401
cell:           082 574 0819
s/mail:         P.O. Box 2465, UPINGTON, 8800
                South Africa

Software from far-away, but definitely NOT
the far side of software!

Also PoP for GEM Internet Cmpy in Upington.

Thu, 23 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Dot matrix printers: WOW!

                       - - - - - - - - - -
Hi Freddie,

Quote:
>> I've seen this - long time ago;)  What I think the problem is, is a
>> wrong printer driver.  If you are using the "correct" printer driver
>I also considered this, but why then does Write and MSWord and
>WordPerfect print FFAASSTTT using this same printer with the same
>driver I'm using?

Don't know, but that was what happened.  This was on my brother's
machine (think it was a Seikosha or something like that).  Printed
fine in word and write, but in CW it would repeat every single word...
I also saw this with other printers with other software, where maybe
one program would do it like that while no other programs would.  Also
experienced this with dos programs using printer drivers, for example
wordperfect 4.2 (I think it was) using the "correct" printer driver.
Change to something more "standard" and the problem was gone.

Best regards,

Arnor Baldvinsson
Allerup Edb
Tel: +45 4675 7122
Fax: +45 4675 7144
Denmark

http://www.icetips.com
UIN nr.: 2428601

Thu, 23 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Dot matrix printers: WOW!

                       - - - - - - - - - -
Hmmmmmmm!

Going on what Arnor said in a later post, maybe the driver IS affecting
Clarion. Or the other way round!

I still punt on it being Clarion getting the font control wrong and the
driver doing what it's told.  As to why it doesn't happen when there is
more than one item on the line, who knows.  My bet is that there are tab or
positioning commands being sent to the printer between words - hence the
back/forth printing - and these are not required if there's only one item
on the line.

Send me a hex dump and I'll tell you what's happening - print to file
should do it - just a small one though!!!!  At least then you'll know why
there's nothing you can do about it - really useful that!

Rod Nugent

----------

-------------
| Freddie Roux
| FarSoft, UPINGTON, South Africa
|

| voice:                +27 (054) 24007
| fax:          +27 (054) 24401
| cell:         082 574 0819
| s/mail:               P.O. Box 2465, UPINGTON, 8800
|               South Africa
|
| Software from far-away, but definitely NOT
| the far side of software!
|
| Also PoP for GEM Internet Cmpy in Upington.

--------------

Thu, 23 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Dot matrix printers: WOW!

Al,
    Come on now! MS would NEVER <VBG> bypass their own driver or <blush> use
undocumented entry points to their own software to gain a <disbelieving
look> unfair advantage! No. No! NO! NOT MS!

    kurtt

Quote:

> > I also considered this, but why then does Write and MSWord and
> > WordPerfect print FFAASSTTT using this same printer with the same
> > driver I'm using?

> Freddie,

> I've seen this same behavior with MS products.  I suspect that MS
> somehow "tweaks" the driver or bypass it completely to improve the
> performance of printing in MS products.  In other words, "You other guys
> use the official Windows drivers and we'll fast ones".  Don't know if
> that is what is happening here, but I've noticed the same behavior.

> Al

Thu, 23 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Dot matrix printers: WOW!

Quote:
> I also considered this, but why then does Write and MSWord and
> WordPerfect print FFAASSTTT using this same printer with the same
> driver I'm using?

Freddie,

I've seen this same behavior with MS products.  I suspect that MS
somehow "tweaks" the driver or bypass it completely to improve the
performance of printing in MS products.  In other words, "You other guys
use the official Windows drivers and we'll fast ones".  Don't know if
that is what is happening here, but I've noticed the same behavior.

Al

Thu, 23 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Dot matrix printers: WOW!

                       - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:

> >I also considered this, but why then does Write and MSWord and
> >WordPerfect print FFAASSTTT using this same printer with the same
> >driver I'm using?

> Don't know, but that was what happened.  This was on my brother's
> machine (think it was a Seikosha or something like that).  Printed
> fine in word and write, but in CW it would repeat every single word...
> I also saw this with other printers with other software, where maybe
> one program would do it like that while no other programs would.  Also
> experienced this with dos programs using printer drivers, for example
> wordperfect 4.2 (I think it was) using the "correct" printer driver.
> Change to something more "standard" and the problem was gone.

Ok. Let me try this, and I'll post my expierences.

Thanx
Freddie Roux
FarSoft, UPINGTON, South Africa

voice:          +27 (054) 24007
fax:            +27 (054) 24401
cell:           082 574 0819
s/mail:         P.O. Box 2465, UPINGTON, 8800
                South Africa

Software from far-away, but definitely NOT
the far side of software!

Also PoP for GEM Internet Cmpy in Upington.

Fri, 24 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Dot matrix printers: WOW!

                       - - - - - - - - - -
Ok guys - this is what I did after some of you suggested that the
problem of the printer head "jumping" between columns might be due to
the printer driver.

I took the Epson LX-100, and printed the same report for each of the
following drivers, each time making sure that the report is printed in a
*printer* font according to the specific driver:

Epson LX-400 Sans-Serif:  no jumping, but prints each line twice
(i.e. like a bold line)
Epson LX-400 Roman:       no jumping, but prints each line twice
Epson LX-80   Roman:       no jumping, but prints each line twice
Epson LX-800 Roman:       no jumping, but prints each line twice
Epson LX-810 Sans-serif:   no jumping, bur prints each line twice
Epson LX-810 Roman:       no jumping, but prints each line twice
Epson LX-850 Roman:       no jumping, but prints each line twice
Epson LX-850 Sans-Serif:  no jumping, but prints each line twice
Generic Text-Only:            no linefeeds, and I didn't take the
trouble of fiddling with the printer's jumpers.
IBM Graphics Courier:      FAST, but "hesitates" on each line at the
last column
IBM Proprinter Courier:  same as original LX100-driver
IBM Proprinter FastFont: FAST - only prints lines too close together,
so this could probably be resolved by setting the "resolution" (at
the driver).

Epson MX-80 Roman: ABSOLUTELY PERFECT!!!!!
Fast, "DOS-speed" printing. No double printing of lines. No
printer-head jumping back and forth. Normal line-spacing. Bold fonts
are bold. Italics are italic. Underlines are underline.

Thanx Arnor!

OK. So if this is the case, I should take a few minutes for every
"new" DOT-MATRIX printer that my clients use, and experiment untill I find
the "appropriatte" driver for that printer (and set up a database for
future references).

And Bob's your uncle!

NO fiddling and late nights with LINEPRINTS and such.
NO double reports (one for "modern" printers and one for dot-matrixes).
NO worrying about paper length changes, network setups, etc!!

Freddie Roux
FarSoft, UPINGTON, South Africa

voice:          +27 (054) 24007
fax:            +27 (054) 24401
cell:           082 574 0819
s/mail:         P.O. Box 2465, UPINGTON, 8800
                South Africa

Software from far-away, but definitely NOT
the far side of software!

Also PoP for GEM Internet Cmpy in Upington.

Fri, 24 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Dot matrix printers: WOW!

                       - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:

> Just by an off chance does any of the text that you're printing have the
> Bold attribute?

> That would make the printer double print the line...

No. No bold text used.

Thanx anyway.

Freddie Roux
FarSoft, UPINGTON, South Africa

voice:          +27 (054) 24007
fax:            +27 (054) 24401
cell:           082 574 0819
s/mail:         P.O. Box 2465, UPINGTON, 8800
                South Africa

Software from far-away, but definitely NOT
the far side of software!

Also PoP for GEM Internet Cmpy in Upington.

Fri, 24 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Dot matrix printers: WOW!

                       - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:

> Hmmmmmmm!

> Going on what Arnor said in a later post, maybe the driver IS affecting
> Clarion. Or the other way round!

> I still punt on it being Clarion getting the font control wrong and the
> driver doing what it's told.  As to why it doesn't happen when there is
> more than one item on the line, who knows.  My bet is that there are tab or
> positioning commands being sent to the printer between words - hence the
> back/forth printing - and these are not required if there's only one item
> on the line.

> Send me a hex dump and I'll tell you what's happening - print to file
> should do it - just a small one though!!!!  At least then you'll know why
> there's nothing you can do about it - really useful that!

Thanx Rod. I'll check out a hex dump and if  I can't figure it out,
I'll send you a snippet.

Cheers
Freddie Roux
FarSoft, UPINGTON, South Africa

voice:          +27 (054) 24007
fax:            +27 (054) 24401
cell:           082 574 0819
s/mail:         P.O. Box 2465, UPINGTON, 8800
                South Africa

Software from far-away, but definitely NOT
the far side of software!

Also PoP for GEM Internet Cmpy in Upington.

Fri, 24 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT

 [ 17 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. Dot Matrix printers vs. Ink-jet/laser printers

2. Printing in draft mode on dot-matrix printer

3. Problem Printing To Network Dot Matrix Printer

4. Printing to Dot Matrix Printers

5. dot matrix printers

6. Looping a report on a Dot Matrix printer.

7. Propprint:Copies vs Dot-matrix printer

8. Printing to Dot Matrix printers

9. labels on continuous paper on dot matrix printer

10. Printing to DOT Matrix Printers SLOOOW from CW5

11. Form Printing on Dot Matrix Printers

12. CW Pinting on Dot Matrix Printers