Maximum length of LINE()?
Author Message
 Maximum length of LINE()?

Hi All,

Does anyone know the maximum possible length of a line?
I've been using line(), but there seems to be a limit to the length.
Line limits are not mentioned in the documentation.

Thanks,
George Riddell.

Sun, 15 May 2005 05:18:10 GMT
 Maximum length of LINE()?
George,

Quote:
> Does anyone know the maximum possible length of a line?
> I've been using line(), but there seems to be a limit to the length.

What limit are you encountering?

Dave

Dave Harms

In-depth Clarion articles, news, tips & tricks
Plus the Clarion Online Archives!
Clarion Magazine: http://www.clarionmag.com

Sat, 14 May 2005 23:31:18 GMT
 Maximum length of LINE()?

Quote:
> > Does anyone know the maximum possible length of a line?
> > I've been using line(), but there seems to be a limit to the length.

> What limit are you encountering?

Hi Dave,

There seems to be a limit somewhere between 2500 and 2600 pixels.  I was
curious as the line still displays, but is approximately 50 to 100 pixels
long.  It looks like that is the amount the line extends past the limit.
When I make the line longer, like 2700 pixels, the line that is displayed is
150 to 200 pixels long.

Any ideas.  I'm going to draw 2 lines end to end to solve my problem, but I
was curious if anyone had run into this problem.

Regards,
George.

Sun, 15 May 2005 10:11:52 GMT
 Maximum length of LINE()?
George,

Quote:
> ... between 2500 and 2600 pixels.

I was just wondering, what kind of monitor do you have that would
handle, much less require, a line that long????

I WANT ONE!!! <g>

--
Lee White

Lodestar Software         www.CWaddons.com
DeveloperPLUS Corporation www.DeveloperPLUS.com

Sun, 15 May 2005 16:10:13 GMT
 Maximum length of LINE()?
Hi Dave,

Quote:
>So at, say, a typical monitor resolution of 75 DPI, that means you're
>talking a line almost 3 feet long. I agree with Lee - I want one of
>these<g>. What the heck are you using for a display?

I have put a 5 meter long region on a window (by some serious f*up in
simple calculation<g>) and since both window and region had the scroll
attributes I just got a scrollbar.  I kind of figured there was
something wrong them I had paged down 10 times and there was no end in
sight!<bg>

Best regards,

Arnr Baldvinsson
Icetips Software
San Antonio, Texas, USA
www.icetips.com

ICQ:  113314380

Subscribe to information from Icetips.com:
http://www.icetips.com/getnotificationinfo.htm

Mon, 16 May 2005 01:19:50 GMT
 Maximum length of LINE()?
Gentlemen,

Quote:
> So at, say, a typical monitor resolution of 75 DPI, that means you're
> talking a line almost 3 feet long. I agree with Lee - I want one of
> these<g>. What the heck are you using for a display?

Sorry to break it to you, but I have to scroll to see it all.  I have a
scheduling program that creates a grid that can be larger than the screen.
When trying to schedule 250 people it works okay, albeit slowly.  Between
250 and 260 people the lines are cut short and I was wondering if I were
doing something the wrong way, rather than just a different way<g>.

Cheers,
George Riddell.

Mon, 16 May 2005 01:22:41 GMT
 Maximum length of LINE()?
George,

Quote:
> Sorry to break it to you, but I have to scroll to see it all.

Ah, well, someday<g>. If you can get around the problem with multiple
lines, then it seems that the problem is not with the display context
reaching its maximum. Odd.

Dave

Dave Harms

In-depth Clarion articles, news, tips & tricks
Plus the Clarion Online Archives!
Clarion Magazine: http://www.clarionmag.com

Mon, 16 May 2005 00:10:28 GMT
 Maximum length of LINE()?
George,

Maximum should be just shy of a SHORT, an OS limitation. The source
below reaches the limit, at least on my system, with lines that are
32322 pixels in width.

  PROGRAM
  MAP
  END

Window WINDOW('Max Line() Length: 32322'),AT(,,260,100), |
 FONT('Tahoma',8,,FONT:regular,CHARSET:ANSI),CENTER,HSCROLL, |
 GRAY,DOUBLE
 STRING('RIGHT EDGE ->'),AT(85,53,60,),USE(?String1),SCROLL,RIGHT
 END

  CODE
  OPEN(Window)
  0{PROP:Pixels} = TRUE
  ?String1{PROP:Xpos} = 32322 - ?String1{PROP:Width}
  LINE(0,40,32322,0)
  LINE(0,44,32322,0)
  LINE(0,48,32322,0)
  LINE(0,52,32322,0)
  LINE(0,56,32322,0)
  LINE(0,60,32322,0)
  ACCEPT
  END
  CLOSE(Window)
  RETURN

--
Lee White

Lodestar Software         www.CWaddons.com
DeveloperPLUS Corporation www.DeveloperPLUS.com

Mon, 16 May 2005 12:15:34 GMT
 Maximum length of LINE()?
Thanks Lee,

Quote:
> Maximum should be just shy of a SHORT, an OS limitation. The source
> below reaches the limit, at least on my system, with lines that are
> 32322 pixels in width.

How big was the 'thumb' button?

George.

Tue, 17 May 2005 04:46:50 GMT
 Maximum length of LINE()?

Quote:
> How big was the 'thumb' button?

He used a Macintosh for that ... the WHOLE thing!

<g>

Tue, 17 May 2005 13:26:32 GMT

1. Maximum code line length?

2. Maximum Length of a Program Statement

3. Submitting text via textarea - maximum length?

4. Maximum track length?

5. Q: maximum length of string in javascript?

6. maximum supported length of characters in a table

7. FORMAT(1X, A9999) maximum length for A format?

8. maximum length of a character variable

9. ValueError: Maximum content length exceeded

10. maximum record lengths in Watcom Fortran 77

11. The maximum length, six, for a name

12. Maximum length of character variable