HELP, I am Clarion Newbie
Author Message
 HELP, I am Clarion Newbie

Hello Linda,

Quote:

>Can someone please tell me what is the best method of learning Clarion?  Is
>there an online course for Clarion?  Are there any books highly recommended
>for learning Clarion?

Clarion comes with a "Getting started" manual which is pretty good as
a start.  The users guide (only in PDF format in C4) is also good to
go through, specially the part about the dictionary editor.  The files
are the most important things to get right.  You can do a lot of the
programming preperation in the dictionary editor which will then be
used when you create your application.  There are also a lot of
example programs that you can install (if you haven't already) to take
a look at.

There is a lot of good resources on the web and from our site, Icetips
( http://www.*-*-*.com/ ) you can find a lot of links to other clarion
sites, a few articles about various things in Clarion and access to
the three online Clarion knowledgebases.  And you will find the
Clarion community on the newsgroups (there are many more newsgroups to
be found on the TSNews.clarion.com news server) is very helpful so
don't hesitate to ask us if you get stuck somewhere:)  Good luck:)

Best regards,

Arnor Baldvinsson
[Team Topspeed - Internet Connect]
Allerup Edb
Denmark

http://www.*-*-*.com/  ( http://www.*-*-*.com/ )
UIN nr.: 2428601

Sat, 14 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 HELP, I am Clarion Newbie
Quote:

> I recently had Clarion4 dropped into my lap to create a database which will
> be used on our company network.

    If I can suggest...

    The current version is Clarion 5 and Clarion 5 Professional Edition is
probably the one that corresponds to the version you're using.  There are
many enhancements, improvements, and fixes.

     - Andrew Guidroz II (GeeTroze)

Every pint bottle should contain a quart.
http://www.coonass.com  SnowDog Software

Sat, 14 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 HELP, I am Clarion Newbie
Quote:

> My lately experience is that I start out by asking a really dumb
> question on this newsgroup, sometimes get no replies, then once i have
> found the answer i realise why I got no replies, simply because the
> question was too dumb.

I doubt that is true. The main reason I (I can only speak for myself) is
many many questions are too vague.  If people dont specify version of
CW, template chain, and provide enough info that someone not familar
with their program can understand it, I just pass over it.  There's no
shortage of questions so I just go to the ones that are answerable.

I'm not saying that was the case with your questions but just a general
rule and a hint for getting questions answered.

---
Jim Kane  - TeamTopSpeed
Productive Software Solutions
Can't Find that Message?
Get Organized, Get ForKeeps!
www.fkeeps.com

Sun, 15 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 HELP, I am Clarion Newbie

Quote:
>If people dont specify version of
>CW, template chain, and provide enough info that someone not familar
>with their program can understand it, I just pass over it.

Couldn't agree more!!!!

Also required in some circumstances: file driver, OS, network.

Regards
Malcolm Collett
------------------------------
mcollett AT iafrica DOT com
==============================

Mon, 16 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 HELP, I am Clarion Newbie

Quote:

>I doubt that is true. The main reason I (I can only speak for myself) is
>many many questions are too vague.  If people dont specify version of
>CW, template chain, and provide enough info that someone not familar
>with their program can understand it, I just pass over it.  There's no
>shortage of questions so I just go to the ones that are answerable.

>I'm not saying that was the case with your questions but just a general
>rule and a hint for getting questions answered.

Jim

Good points Jim, but then as newbies, we need to be taught these
things, like a basic protocol for asking questions to this newsgroup.

Beleive me,  I dont want to sound ungrateful, because I am not.

I just wish I knew the answer to the question, so that I could ask it
properly sometimes. !!

Ian

Thu, 19 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 HELP, I am Clarion Newbie
Hi Ian,

Quote:
>Good points Jim, but then as newbies, we need to be taught these
>things, like a basic protocol for asking questions to this newsgroup.

>Beleive me,  I dont want to sound ungrateful, because I am not.

>I just wish I knew the answer to the question, so that I could ask it
>properly sometimes. !!

It is very important that you know the answer befor you ask<g>
Seriously you do have a point there.  I think it would be nice to have
some guidelines in the help where it lists the news server etc.  What
is important is to at _least_ include which version of clarion you are
referring to and if you are asking about C4, if it is C4Gold (original
release) C4A, C4B or C4C (same will apply to C5) and if you are using
C5 if you are using the Enterprise Edition or the Professional
Edition.  The project settings may also be important (16 or 32 bit,
debug on/off, compiled as standalone or local etc.).  What operating
system you are using (Win95, Win98, WinNTserver or WinNTworkstation)
can also be important.  But then again it's a judgement call to figure
out what information is needed, but normally we ask for it if we think
we need some more details:)  Sometimes it's impossible to figure
anything out from the questions asked.  A question like "Help - I
can't compile my app" doesn't give us much to go on.  What happens or
doesn't happen?  Is it a single app or multi dll/exe project?  What
version of Clarion + templates etc. etc. etc...  I'll see if I can't
write up some general guidelines and put it up on Icetips for
reference and in the IKB - the url is in my signature:)

Best regards,

Arnor Baldvinsson
[Team Topspeed - Internet Connect]
Allerup Edb
Denmark

Check out Icetips and Icetips Knowledgebase
http://www.icetips.com
UIN nr.: 2428601

Thu, 19 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Help, I am a Clarion Newbie

2. Newbie needs help - Clarion Books

3. Error 47 HELP Clarion Newbie

4. Clarion NEWBIE questions--please help

5. I am making aplications in clarion for windows.

6. Question on Clarion 5 and Internet (i am new user)

7. I am considering using Clarion

8. Clarion 4 Scroll Bars - Am I Missing Something

9. I am moving to comp.lang.clarion

10. I Am Getting Fed Up With Clarion

11. I am looking for a Clarion programer

12. Clarion 5.5 What am I doing wrong????