File Manager 2 for CW2003
Author Message
 File Manager 2 for CW2003

Does anyone have any experience with FM2 . Does it do all it is
supposed to do? Does it have any {*filter*} habits?  The advertising sounds
like it the greatest! But I have emailed Capesoft twice in the last 72
hours seeking info on how to purchase without any response!  I did
download their demo which only partially worked...maybe it was
corrupted. What concerns me is that if they don't reply to a qualified
sales inquiry, how can I expect them to respond to a technical query
after they have my money. All comments are welcome and you may email
me directly if you don't want your comments broadcast. Thanks.

Sun, 22 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 File Manager 2 for CW2003
It is excellent - Solved all my invalid record errors.

Don Harvey

Quote:
>Does anyone have any experience with FM2 . Does it do all it is
>supposed to do? Does it have any {*filter*} habits?  The advertising sounds
>like it the greatest! But I have emailed Capesoft twice in the last 72

Sun, 22 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 File Manager 2 for CW2003
My experience on support from CapeSoft has been good.  I'm pretty sure they
get very, very busy on occasion and I have seen one or two msg's like yours
every so often but usually the parties seem to get together.  I think he
travels Europe on occasion and can be out of touch for a day or two every
once in a while but that seems rare.

--
Wishing you health, happiness and prosperity
Earl

www.kwiksystems.com

Quote:
>Does anyone have any experience with FM2 . Does it do all it is
>supposed to do? Does it have any {*filter*} habits?  The advertising sounds
>like it the greatest! But I have emailed Capesoft twice in the last 72
>hours seeking info on how to purchase without any response!  I did
>download their demo which only partially worked...maybe it was
>corrupted. What concerns me is that if they don't reply to a qualified
>sales inquiry, how can I expect them to respond to a technical query
>after they have my money. All comments are welcome and you may email
>me directly if you don't want your comments broadcast. Thanks.

Sun, 22 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 File Manager 2 for CW2003
I bought it. Best thing I ever did!! Saves me literally HOURS of time a
month. Support is excellent (can't explain the lack of e-mail response...
I've never experienced that). Bottom line - get it.

Rocky

Quote:
>Does anyone have any experience with FM2 . Does it do all it is
>supposed to do? Does it have any {*filter*} habits?  The advertising sounds
>like it the greatest! But I have emailed Capesoft twice in the last 72
>hours seeking info on how to purchase without any response!  I did
>download their demo which only partially worked...maybe it was
>corrupted. What concerns me is that if they don't reply to a qualified
>sales inquiry, how can I expect them to respond to a technical query
>after they have my money. All comments are welcome and you may email
>me directly if you don't want your comments broadcast. Thanks.

Sun, 22 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 File Manager 2 for CW2003
Fantastic product!
I only use the AutoUp often -
very often, and I cannot imagine myself without it!

Quote:

>Does anyone have any experience with FM2 . Does it do all it is
>supposed to do? Does it have any {*filter*} habits?  The advertising sounds
>like it the greatest! But I have emailed Capesoft twice in the last 72
>hours seeking info on how to purchase without any response!  I did
>download their demo which only partially worked...maybe it was
>corrupted. What concerns me is that if they don't reply to a qualified
>sales inquiry, how can I expect them to respond to a technical query
>after they have my money. All comments are welcome and you may email
>me directly if you don't want your comments broadcast. Thanks.

Johan van Zyl
Somerset West
South Africa

CPD 2.110, CW Standard 2002, CW5EE
File Manager 2, Wise Installation
MS Office, Zoltrix Speaker/Fax/Modem

Sun, 22 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 File Manager 2 for CW2003
Hi,

It's one of the two GREAT SUPERB EXACTLY AS ADVERTISED WONDERFULL...
... you get the point ... Just buy it. It's great.... Oh.. Clacom is the
other (of the products I
have purchased and feel the same about).

Regards
Paul Melevende

Quote:
>Does anyone have any experience with FM2 . Does it do all it is
>supposed to do? Does it have any {*filter*} habits?  The advertising sounds
>like it the greatest! But I have emailed Capesoft twice in the last 72
>hours seeking info on how to purchase without any response!  I did
>download their demo which only partially worked...maybe it was
>corrupted. What concerns me is that if they don't reply to a qualified
>sales inquiry, how can I expect them to respond to a technical query
>after they have my money. All comments are welcome and you may email
>me directly if you don't want your comments broadcast. Thanks.

Mon, 23 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 File Manager 2 for CW2003
There are unconfirmed reports that with large apps involving several large
files, FM2 can add significant seconds to the opening of the App (while it
figures out whether there is anything to do).

|Hi,
|
|It's one of the two GREAT SUPERB EXACTLY AS ADVERTISED WONDERFULL...
|... you get the point ... Just buy it. It's great.... Oh.. Clacom is the
|other (of the products I
|have purchased and feel the same about).
|
|Regards
|Paul Melevende

|>Does anyone have any experience with FM2 . Does it do all it is
|>supposed to do? Does it have any {*filter*} habits?  The advertising sounds
|>like it the greatest! But I have emailed Capesoft twice in the last 72
|>hours seeking info on how to purchase without any response!  I did
|>download their demo which only partially worked...maybe it was
|>corrupted. What concerns me is that if they don't reply to a qualified
|>sales inquiry, how can I expect them to respond to a technical query
|>after they have my money. All comments are welcome and you may email
|>me directly if you don't want your comments broadcast. Thanks.

Mon, 23 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 File Manager 2 for CW2003
I love it as well, a bit expensive, until you have used it a couple of
times, then it seems so cheap...

Tony

Quote:

> It is excellent - Solved all my invalid record errors.

> Don Harvey

> >Does anyone have any experience with FM2 . Does it do all it is
> >supposed to do? Does it have any {*filter*} habits?  The advertising sounds
> >like it the greatest! But I have emailed Capesoft twice in the last 72

Mon, 23 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 File Manager 2 for CW2003
We had heard the same and asked others about it (we don't presently use FM2
but are considering it).

FWIW, the bottom-line of our inquiries was that there appeared to be a way
to avoid the start-up penalty with large multi-dll apps.  In fact, we think
that we have recently seen something in a NG that talked about changes
being/have been made that avoid the start-up delay altogether -- Probably
best to talk directly with the author.

Laura

Quote:
> There are unconfirmed reports that with large apps involving several
large
> files, FM2 can add significant seconds to the opening of the App (while
it
> figures out whether there is anything to do).

Mon, 23 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 File Manager 2 for CW2003

Quote:

>There are unconfirmed reports that with large apps involving several large
>files, FM2 can add significant seconds to the opening of the App (while it
>figures out whether there is anything to do).

This is true but with a bit of fiddling you can get around it.

What I do is store a version number for each system in its .ini file.
I only run the FM2 stuff when the version changes.

What happens is that the system detects a version number change and
informs the user of this and then asks them whether they wish to
proceed.  If they do it then goes off and checks the files in each DLL
- I display a message saying "checking : filename" for each file so
that the user knows what is going on.

This all took a bit of fiddling to get going but it really works well.

I have found the support from Bruce at Capesoft to be very good and he
has generally fixed the few bugs I have found quite quickly.

It certainly saves a lot of time keeping track of who has what
versions of which files and creating conversion programs.

In short I wouldn't be without it!!

Regards

Geoff R

Tue, 24 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 File Manager 2 for CW2003
Hello Jack,

Quote:
>There are unconfirmed reports that with large apps involving several large
>files, FM2 can add significant seconds to the opening of the App (while it
>figures out whether there is anything to do).

You can blame me for the unconfirmed reports <g>. The problem is no
more.

I can confirm there was a problem which has been fixed with Bruce's
excellent support from CapeSoft. The size of the file does not affect
the opening time. The opening time is a function of the number of
files times the number of apps. FM2 needs to know that it has
initialised all files. The safest way of doing this is to check all
files in all apps.

If you have a single data app, you can restrict the initialisation to
this one app. We did this and cut the opening time down to next to
nothing.

I agree with everything Paul Melevende said - it is a fantastic
product and a bargain at the price. Build it into your apps and you
will never need to write a file reformat program again.

David Groves
Alchemy Technology
Perth, Western Australia
Developers of Service Management System (SMS)
for Community Service Organisations

Tue, 24 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 File Manager 2 for CW2003
Hi Laura,

My ears are burning so you must be talking about me <g>.

See my reply to Jack.

If anyone requires extra info I would be pleased to help in any way
that I can.

On 5 Nov 98 18:55:59 GMT, "Samoyed House"

Quote:

>We had heard the same and asked others about it (we don't presently use FM2
>but are considering it).

>FWIW, the bottom-line of our inquiries was that there appeared to be a way
>to avoid the start-up penalty with large multi-dll apps.  In fact, we think
>that we have recently seen something in a NG that talked about changes
>being/have been made that avoid the start-up delay altogether -- Probably
>best to talk directly with the author.

David Groves
Alchemy Technology
Perth, Western Australia
Developers of Service Management System (SMS)
for Community Service Organisations

Tue, 24 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 File Manager 2 for CW2003
Hi Whoever it is there

Yep FM2 is really great, change the file structure, recompile your EXE and
send it on out to your users - automatic file conversion on startup -
recommended.

--
Paul R Horton
TTFDU

Quote:
>Does anyone have any experience with FM2 . Does it do all it is
>supposed to do? Does it have any {*filter*} habits?  The advertising sounds
>like it the greatest! But I have emailed Capesoft twice in the last 72
>hours seeking info on how to purchase without any response!  I did
>download their demo which only partially worked...maybe it was
>corrupted. What concerns me is that if they don't reply to a qualified
>sales inquiry, how can I expect them to respond to a technical query
>after they have my money. All comments are welcome and you may email
>me directly if you don't want your comments broadcast. Thanks.

Tue, 24 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 File Manager 2 for CW2003
I'll second that. After all the work I have in the past gone through to
change a file structure, and then you just compile it, and see the program
update that file with you doing nothing.... very cool.

Mick

Quote:

>Hi Whoever it is there

>Yep FM2 is really great, change the file structure, recompile your EXE and
>send it on out to your users - automatic file conversion on startup -
>recommended.

>--
>Paul R Horton
>TTFDU

>>Does anyone have any experience with FM2 . Does it do all it is
>>supposed to do? Does it have any {*filter*} habits?  The advertising sounds
>>like it the greatest! But I have emailed Capesoft twice in the last 72
>>hours seeking info on how to purchase without any response!  I did
>>download their demo which only partially worked...maybe it was
>>corrupted. What concerns me is that if they don't reply to a qualified
>>sales inquiry, how can I expect them to respond to a technical query
>>after they have my money. All comments are welcome and you may email
>>me directly if you don't want your comments broadcast. Thanks.

Wed, 25 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 File Manager 2 for CW2003
Can you give details on how you did this.  I recenlty have noticed a
slowdown in opening the app.   I did not even consider the fact that I
had added FM2.

Thanks

Quote:

>Hello Jack,

>>There are unconfirmed reports that with large apps involving several large
>>files, FM2 can add significant seconds to the opening of the App (while it
>>figures out whether there is anything to do).

>You can blame me for the unconfirmed reports <g>. The problem is no
>more.

>I can confirm there was a problem which has been fixed with Bruce's
>excellent support from CapeSoft. The size of the file does not affect
>the opening time. The opening time is a function of the number of
>files times the number of apps. FM2 needs to know that it has
>initialised all files. The safest way of doing this is to check all
>files in all apps.

>If you have a single data app, you can restrict the initialisation to
>this one app. We did this and cut the opening time down to next to
>nothing.

>I agree with everything Paul Melevende said - it is a fantastic
>product and a bargain at the price. Build it into your apps and you
>will never need to write a file reformat program again.

>David Groves
>Alchemy Technology
>Perth, Western Australia
>Developers of Service Management System (SMS)
>for Community Service Organisations

Chris Christenson

Fri, 27 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT

 [ 17 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. File Conversion with File Manager on Huge files

2. Topspeed - CW2003 File Convert gets File Not Found

3. ALIAS files and File Drivers in CW2003

4. cw2003: transfer blob into dos files, transfer dos files into blob

5. Use File manager to REBUILD files

6. File Manager 2 released (Automatic File Upgrading (inc TPS))

7. Renaming a File CW2003

8. CW2003 File Open Modes

9. UNC File paths in CW2003 ?

10. Open file in exclusive mode (CW2003)

11. INI file location in CW2003

12. file locking CW2003