Using Dll's not created in clarion
Author Message
 Using Dll's not created in clarion

Quote:

> Where it gets a bit spooky for me is wether or not I have to creat
> prototypes and if so how and does clarion require special syntax to
> use the dll's functions. Any help would be greatly apreatiated

Yes you must create prototypes and put them in a module(some.dll)...end
block in the global map.  The information for the prototypes has to
come from the source of the dll.  Unfortunately the prototypes are
never written in CW and need to be translated, usually from C, to
Clarion.
---
Jim Kane  - TeamTopSpeed
Productive Software Solutions
Can't Find that Message?
Get Organized, Get ForKeeps!
www.fkeeps.com

Sun, 11 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Using Dll's not created in clarion
Hi, I am trying to use a Dll that was not made for clarion
specifically (MP3Remote). I am using cee5 but have not had any
experience using external objects, I have created a clarion lib
derived from the dll and referenced the .lib in the project file.
Where it gets a bit spooky for me is wether or not I have to creat
prototypes and if so how and does clarion require special syntax to
use the dll's functions. Any help would be greatly apreatiated
besty regards -mel

Mon, 12 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Using Dll's not created in clarion
Jim,

Seems to me that Topspeed could really advance their cause IF:

1) They would automagically recognize and use VB or C prototypes OR
2) Provide a Prototype translater (say VB to CW and/or C to CW) with the
product (and yes I know they ship the API constructor which is a start).

Just a thought. For VB/C qualified people, it's no problem I'm sure but
for those that don't have that background, it's a bit intimidating to
sit down with the C/VB example and start hacking away.  Given the VB/C
mind-share and the fact that there are so many examples in C/VB, I've
never understood why the language guys don't incorporate this option and
quite fighting the issue.

But then that's why I don't make the mega-bucks they make!!

Al

Mon, 12 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Using Dll's not created in clarion
Al,

That's a fabulous idea.

 I've never really understood why TS hasn't written a relatively
simple VB to CW text parsing/conversion utility. I  mean, wouldn't the
outputs for CW always (or nearly always) be the same for any given VB
inputs. And there aren't <that> many different types of inputs/outputs
to work with.

Mon, 12 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Using Dll's not created in clarion
Al,

    It's an interesting idea, but I'm not sure it's possible, unless you
simply provide a "switch" (which is what RAW and Pascal are). The one
problem I think they'd run into is that any DLL you build a LIB file for,
doesn't have any idea of what parameters the DLL wants. It only reads the
entry points and names, which I believe are all that's available. So, unless
they change the LIB layout to incorporate this (not likely!), I don't think
it can be done. Of course, OCX's (which can come in DLL "flavours")  are a
different thing.

    Regards,

    kurtt

    Kurt Pawlikowski
    The Pinrod Corporation

    (773) 284-9500
    http://pinrod.com

Quote:

> Jim,

> Seems to me that Topspeed could really advance their cause IF:

> 1) They would automagically recognize and use VB or C prototypes OR
> 2) Provide a Prototype translater (say VB to CW and/or C to CW) with the
> product (and yes I know they ship the API constructor which is a start).

> Just a thought. For VB/C qualified people, it's no problem I'm sure but
> for those that don't have that background, it's a bit intimidating to
> sit down with the C/VB example and start hacking away.  Given the VB/C
> mind-share and the fact that there are so many examples in C/VB, I've
> never understood why the language guys don't incorporate this option and
> quite fighting the issue.

> But then that's why I don't make the mega-bucks they make!!

> Al

Mon, 12 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Using Dll's not created in clarion

Quote:
> I've never really understood why TS hasn't written a relatively
>simple VB to CW text parsing/conversion utility. I  mean, wouldn't the
>outputs for CW always (or nearly always) be the same for any given VB
>inputs. And there aren't <that> many different types of inputs/outputs
>to work with.

Someone here casually mentioned once that the App Converter could be taught
this trick.  Me, I've always been too busy... <g>

--
Brett C. Cammack
TopSpeed Corporation

Certified Clarion Developer

Mon, 12 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Using Dll's not created in clarion
Hi Brett,

Quote:
>Someone here casually mentioned once that the App Converter could be taught
>this trick.  Me, I've always been too busy... <g>

So... if some how, some way, you had more time you could ... er... do
it?  And don't you think it would be very helpful?

Just asking, mind you <g>

Mon, 12 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Using Dll's not created in clarion

Quote:
> So... if some how, some way, you had more time you could ... er... do
> it?  And don't you think it would be very helpful?

Doubt it would be that simple. H files from C often have definitions
spread over many files so you might have:
(pseudo code)
one.h
#ifdef ALPHA
#define WINAPI _cdecl
#endif
#ifdef INTEL
#define WINAPI _stdcall
#endif
some.H
typedef unsigned char  bResult

Someother.h:
WINAPI somefunction(bResult theresult)//needs to understand WINAPI and
bResult types from earlier files.
to make sense of it the app would have to read and process many many h
files accumulate defines, typedefs from earlier files.  It would be
very much like writing a compiler I imagine.
---
Jim Kane  - TeamTopSpeed
Productive Software Solutions
Can't Find that Message?
Get Organized, Get ForKeeps!
www.fkeeps.com

Mon, 12 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Using Dll's not created in clarion
I think it would be incredibly helpful and benefitial.  Not only to the
Clarion user community, but to TopSpeed also from a marketing standpoint.
Anything that helps break down barriers for C and VB users to transition
easily to Clarion is a bonus as is the ability to readily implement 3rd
party tools available for those platforms without scaling the learning
curve.   Effort with a similar focus is underway to rewrite the entire OLE
layer for better integration with commercial OCXs.

Personally, I think it would be a challenging intellectual excercise, but
with my current list of ToDo's, I've given it a prominent place high on my
RoundToit list.  I think it would be a terrific "Open Source" project for
the community to collaberate on, too.

Regards,
Brett C. Cammack
TopSpeed Corporation

Certified Clarion Developer

Quote:

>Hi Brett,

>>Someone here casually mentioned once that the App Converter could be
taught
>>this trick.  Me, I've always been too busy... <g>

>So... if some how, some way, you had more time you could ... er... do
>it?  And don't you think it would be very helpful?

>Just asking, mind you <g>

Tue, 13 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Using Dll's not created in clarion
Hi Jim,
Thanks for your response.
Jim, if the utility focused <only> on VB prototypes, would that make a
difference?
Have a nice weekend,
Bob

Tue, 13 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Using Dll's not created in clarion
Thanks, Brett, very interesting stuff, indeed.
Have a nice weekend.

Tue, 13 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Using Dll's not created in clarion
Would this discussion also deal with using
COM/DCOM objects.  Is this possible/easy/hard
to do.  Has anyone one used COM with Clarion.
Maybe should start separate discussion.
Thanks for info.
Mike J...

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Tue, 13 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Using Dll's not created in clarion

Quote:
> Jim, if the utility focused <only> on VB prototypes, would that make a
> difference?

I dont know enough about VB to tell you.
---
Jim Kane  - TeamTopSpeed
Productive Software Solutions
Can't Find that Message?
Get Organized, Get ForKeeps!
www.fkeeps.com

Tue, 13 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Using Dll's not created in clarion

Quote:

>Would this discussion also deal with using
>COM/DCOM objects.

It was part of the motivation to undertake the rewrite.

Regards,
Brett C. Cammack
TopSpeed Corporation

Certified Clarion Developer

Tue, 13 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Using Dll's not created in clarion
Brett,

"Open source" is an interesting idea for such a project. In fact, never
being afraid to be ridiculous, I begun such a tool some time ago
 translating .H to .INC ), but quickly realised what Jim said, that is an
almost impossible task, at least for me ! Too many differents ways to write
the same thing in C, and a lot of queues to store all what is previously
defined....

That does not means is not doable....

BTW, I believe it would be much better to use C than VB, cause some tools
have only C examples, and too many VB tools works only with VB.

--
Bernard Grosperrin, "Bernie"
Team Topspeed

Quote:
> I think it would be incredibly helpful and benefitial.  Not only to the
> Clarion user community, but to TopSpeed also from a marketing standpoint.
> Anything that helps break down barriers for C and VB users to transition
> easily to Clarion is a bonus as is the ability to readily implement 3rd
> party tools available for those platforms without scaling the learning
> curve.   Effort with a similar focus is underway to rewrite the entire OLE
> layer for better integration with commercial OCXs.

> Personally, I think it would be a challenging intellectual excercise, but
> with my current list of ToDo's, I've given it a prominent place high on my
> RoundToit list.  I think it would be a terrific "Open Source" project for
> the community to collaberate on, too.

> Regards,
> Brett C. Cammack
> TopSpeed Corporation

> Certified Clarion Developer

> >Hi Brett,

> >>Someone here casually mentioned once that the App Converter could be
> taught
> >>this trick.  Me, I've always been too busy... <g>

> >So... if some how, some way, you had more time you could ... er... do
> >it?  And don't you think it would be very helpful?

> >Just asking, mind you <g>

Wed, 14 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Using Windows DLLs NOT Created in Clarion

2. Using DLLs NOT Created in Clarion

3. Using Windows Dlls Not created in Clarion

4. Using Windows DLLs NOT Created in Clarion for Windows

5. C4a Making Clarion DLL using outside DLL's

6. DLLs not created in Clarion

7. HELP!: Create Clarion DLL to be used by Delphi

8. Creating - Fortran 77 dll for use in Visual Basic 6.0 (not using Compaq Visual Fortran)

9. MS Access not using cdx created by Clarion

10. External Dll's not compiled with Clarion in CW4

11. DLL's Not Written In Clarion

12. Using Non Clarion Dll's Help !