Can I create WINDOW structures at run-time?
Author Message
 Can I create WINDOW structures at run-time?

I am writing an application that is a bit nonstandard; it uses "run-
time creation of FILE structures". Let me explain what this means. The
application starts and then reads a file, called "descriptor file",
that contains (described in a textual form) the locations, record
structures, keys/indexes, memos (and so on) of all tables in the
database. Later, the application OPENs these tables (or CREATEs them,
if they do not exist). Unfortunately, I cannot use the FILE ... END
construction here, because it is "compile-time"; to use it, I must know
at compile-time the layout of my data tables. However, I found a
workaround. There is a file "%CLARIONDIR%\LIBSRC\CWFILE.H", that
actually describes the internal structure of FILE, and contains it low-
level interface, in terms of the C language. I use Clarion Professional
ver. 4b; I do not know if this file exist in other versions. So, my
Clarion program calls a C function, that creates a FILE reference and
returns it to the Clarion program, and so on - everything is OK. But
several days ago I realized that it will be very useful for my
application, if I can do the same trick with the WINDOWs (and,
possibly, REPORTs). For example, I might add a WINDOW layout
(coordinates, controls, attributes and so on) to my "descriptor file",
and later create the corresponding WINDOW reference and use it.
Unfortunately, there are no such file "CWWINDOW.H", and I know nothing
about the internal structure of WINDOW. Now, the question: can someone
tell me if a file "CWWINDOW.H", analogous to "CWFILE.H" exists, can
someone provide me with any information about the internal structure of
WINDOWs, REPORTs, can someone tell me where I can search for such
information.

Thanks.
Vesselin

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/

Mon, 11 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Can I create WINDOW structures at run-time?
Yes. You create a variable (or as many windows as you require) as
follows :
winvar1 WINDOW
          END
That will create a blank white window.
Now everything else as far as I know can be adjusted at runtime (apart
from perhaps the toolbar) by either using the winvar{PROP:????} syntax
or by using the CREATE command to create new objects.
You can of course adjust and create all these things before you do the
command OPEN(winvar1) and the user won't know the difference.

Stephen Fulton.

Quote:

> I am writing an application that is a bit nonstandard; it uses "run-
> time creation of FILE structures". Let me explain what this means. The
> application starts and then reads a file, called "descriptor file",
> that contains (described in a textual form) the locations, record
> structures, keys/indexes, memos (and so on) of all tables in the
> database. Later, the application OPENs these tables (or CREATEs them,
> if they do not exist). Unfortunately, I cannot use the FILE ... END
> construction here, because it is "compile-time"; to use it, I must
know
> at compile-time the layout of my data tables. However, I found a
> workaround. There is a file "%CLARIONDIR%\LIBSRC\CWFILE.H", that
> actually describes the internal structure of FILE, and contains it
low-
> level interface, in terms of the C language. I use Clarion
Professional
> ver. 4b; I do not know if this file exist in other versions. So, my
> Clarion program calls a C function, that creates a FILE reference and
> returns it to the Clarion program, and so on - everything is OK. But
> several days ago I realized that it will be very useful for my
> application, if I can do the same trick with the WINDOWs (and,
> possibly, REPORTs). For example, I might add a WINDOW layout
> (coordinates, controls, attributes and so on) to my "descriptor file",
> and later create the corresponding WINDOW reference and use it.
> Unfortunately, there are no such file "CWWINDOW.H", and I know nothing
> about the internal structure of WINDOW. Now, the question: can someone
> tell me if a file "CWWINDOW.H", analogous to "CWFILE.H" exists, can
> someone provide me with any information about the internal structure
of
> WINDOWs, REPORTs, can someone tell me where I can search for such
> information.

> Thanks.
> Vesselin

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Mon, 11 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Can I create WINDOW structures at run-time?
Hi There ..

I cant help you with your problems but.. If you consider selling this
information on how to create files dynamicly at run time, and how too update
them .. i would certenly bee interested ...

Regards
Tor-Bjarne Henriksen
Norway

Quote:
>I am writing an application that is a bit nonstandard; it uses "run-
>time creation of FILE structures". Let me explain what this means. The
>application starts and then reads a file, called "descriptor file",
>that contains (described in a textual form) the locations, record
>structures, keys/indexes, memos (and so on) of all tables in the
>database. Later, the application OPENs these tables (or CREATEs them,
>if they do not exist). Unfortunately, I cannot use the FILE ... END
>construction here, because it is "compile-time"; to use it, I must know
>at compile-time the layout of my data tables. However, I found a
>workaround. There is a file "%CLARIONDIR%\LIBSRC\CWFILE.H", that
>actually describes the internal structure of FILE, and contains it low-
>level interface, in terms of the C language. I use Clarion Professional
>ver. 4b; I do not know if this file exist in other versions. So, my
>Clarion program calls a C function, that creates a FILE reference and
>returns it to the Clarion program, and so on - everything is OK. But
>several days ago I realized that it will be very useful for my
>application, if I can do the same trick with the WINDOWs (and,
>possibly, REPORTs). For example, I might add a WINDOW layout
>(coordinates, controls, attributes and so on) to my "descriptor file",
>and later create the corresponding WINDOW reference and use it.
>Unfortunately, there are no such file "CWWINDOW.H", and I know nothing
>about the internal structure of WINDOW. Now, the question: can someone
>tell me if a file "CWWINDOW.H", analogous to "CWFILE.H" exists, can
>someone provide me with any information about the internal structure of
>WINDOWs, REPORTs, can someone tell me where I can search for such
>information.

>Thanks.
>Vesselin

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Mon, 11 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Vo: Help creating a Dialog window at Run-time

2. Vo: Help Creating a dialog window at Run time

3. Run-time & Design-time window size problem

4. Opening a multiple file structure at run-time

5. Manugistics run-time [was: STSC run-time]

6. Creating a Button at Run-Time

7. ! (A.S.A.P) Help Please Creating Menu Choices At Run-Time

8. Help with variable FEQ's in run time CREATE's

9. VO created EXE run-time error

10. creating run-time strings

11. Creating elements at run time.

12. Visual Works: create in run-time