variable sized list box source Q 
Author Message
 variable sized list box source Q

I need to display data in a list box in an arbitrary number of columns (no
Clarion/ABC templates are involved).

Presently I have a micky-mouse solution using a hard-wired max number of
columns.  The source of the list box is then a Q record having this max
number of columns.  I fiddle with the list-box format string to get an
apparent variable number of columns.

This is OK but can waste a heck of a lot of memory and its making me feel
untidy!.

Can anybody see how to - at run time - only create a Q record that has the
space for N columns; where N varies at any time...?

Regards,
Colin J
www.sailwave.com



Mon, 28 Mar 2005 20:21:14 GMT  
 variable sized list box source Q
Hi Colin,

I would do it by creating a "virtual listbox". In the
online help, look for "prop:vlbproc" and "prop:vlbval".
There also is a small example how this works.
Virtual Listboxes are not fed from a queue, they are calling
functions to determin how many rows to display and what data
to display in each cell. Use proplist:header to change the listbox
layout (nr. of columns) at runtime.

--

with best regards,

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
i.Con Informatik.Consulting  -  Dipl.-Inform. Jens Eden
Turngartenstr. 24b  -  26160 Bad Zwischenahn - Germany
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
the TPS.repair Templates - forget about TPS file corruptions
30 days trial version at :  http://www.informatik-consulting.de/DL
----------------------------------------------------------------------------



Quote:
> I need to display data in a list box in an arbitrary number of columns (no
> Clarion/ABC templates are involved).

> Presently I have a micky-mouse solution using a hard-wired max number of
> columns.  The source of the list box is then a Q record having this max
> number of columns.  I fiddle with the list-box format string to get an
> apparent variable number of columns.

> This is OK but can waste a heck of a lot of memory and its making me feel
> untidy!.

> Can anybody see how to - at run time - only create a Q record that has the
> space for N columns; where N varies at any time...?

> Regards,
> Colin J
> www.sailwave.com



Tue, 29 Mar 2005 00:20:10 GMT  
 variable sized list box source Q
Hi Colin,

    Both xLib and DynaLib have the ability to create queue at run-time.
This may be what you are looking for.  Go to www.ClarionShop.com and search
for these products to get a link to their web sites for more information.

Regards,

Edward


Quote:
> I need to display data in a list box in an arbitrary number of columns (no
> Clarion/ABC templates are involved).

> Presently I have a micky-mouse solution using a hard-wired max number of
> columns.  The source of the list box is then a Q record having this max
> number of columns.  I fiddle with the list-box format string to get an
> apparent variable number of columns.

> This is OK but can waste a heck of a lot of memory and its making me feel
> untidy!.

> Can anybody see how to - at run time - only create a Q record that has the
> space for N columns; where N varies at any time...?

> Regards,
> Colin J
> www.sailwave.com



Mon, 28 Mar 2005 22:31:02 GMT  
 variable sized list box source Q
I agree...the added benifit is that you can also implement windows sytle
marking...

Jeff  Slarve has an example of this on his website that is just slicker than
deer guts on a doorknob!

Skip


Quote:
> Hi Colin,

> I would do it by creating a "virtual listbox". In the
> online help, look for "prop:vlbproc" and "prop:vlbval".
> There also is a small example how this works.
> Virtual Listboxes are not fed from a queue, they are calling
> functions to determin how many rows to display and what data
> to display in each cell. Use proplist:header to change the listbox
> layout (nr. of columns) at runtime.

> --

> with best regards,

> --------------------------------------------------------------------------
--
> i.Con Informatik.Consulting  -  Dipl.-Inform. Jens Eden
> Turngartenstr. 24b  -  26160 Bad Zwischenahn - Germany
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------
--
> the TPS.repair Templates - forget about TPS file corruptions
> 30 days trial version at :  http://www.informatik-consulting.de/DL
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------
--



> > I need to display data in a list box in an arbitrary number of columns
(no
> > Clarion/ABC templates are involved).

> > Presently I have a micky-mouse solution using a hard-wired max number of
> > columns.  The source of the list box is then a Q record having this max
> > number of columns.  I fiddle with the list-box format string to get an
> > apparent variable number of columns.

> > This is OK but can waste a heck of a lot of memory and its making me
feel
> > untidy!.

> > Can anybody see how to - at run time - only create a Q record that has
the
> > space for N columns; where N varies at any time...?

> > Regards,
> > Colin J
> > www.sailwave.com



Tue, 29 Mar 2005 00:47:45 GMT  
 variable sized list box source Q
Ronald,

often you will have a queue to store the data to be displayed.
But you really don't have to use a queue. I just now am working
on a project where the data in one listbox is read from several queues
and an array, and some of the cell values are just calculated from
other values. Works a treat, and is most flexible.

--

with best regards,

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
i.Con Informatik.Consulting  -  Dipl.-Inform. Jens Eden
Turngartenstr. 24b  -  26160 Bad Zwischenahn - Germany
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
the TPS.repair Templates - forget about TPS file corruptions
30 days trial version at :  http://www.informatik-consulting.de/DL
----------------------------------------------------------------------------



Quote:
> I have no experience with the virtual list box (But I'm certainly gonna look
> at Jeff's example), but don't you need a queue then too to provide and store
> the data you want to display?

> I'm just busy creating a grid template explicitely for a flexible number or
> columns for clarionmag. I better stop now and look at the virtual list box
> g> Thanks!

> Ronald
> Compad



Tue, 29 Mar 2005 15:37:43 GMT  
 variable sized list box source Q
I have no experience with the virtual list box (But I'm certainly gonna look
at Jeff's example), but don't you need a queue then too to provide and store
the data you want to display?

I'm just busy creating a grid template explicitely for a flexible number or
columns for clarionmag. I better stop now and look at the virtual list box
g> Thanks!

Ronald
Compad



Tue, 29 Mar 2005 14:43:06 GMT  
 variable sized list box source Q

Quote:
> Jeff  Slarve has an example of this on his website that is just slicker
than
> deer guts on a doorknob!

... you can ALWAYS tell when hunting season rolls around ...

;-)

Charles



Tue, 29 Mar 2005 15:04:21 GMT  
 variable sized list box source Q
Hi Jens,

Quote:
> I would do it by creating a "virtual listbox". In the
> online help, look for "prop:vlbproc" and "prop:vlbval".
> There also is a small example how this works.
> Virtual Listboxes are not fed from a queue, they are calling
> functions to determin how many rows to display and what data
> to display in each cell. Use proplist:header to change the listbox
> layout (nr. of columns) at runtime.

Thanks, sounds perfect...

Regards,
Colin J
www.sailwave.com

Quote:


> > I need to display data in a list box in an arbitrary number of columns
(no
> > Clarion/ABC templates are involved).

> > Presently I have a micky-mouse solution using a hard-wired max number of
> > columns.  The source of the list box is then a Q record having this max
> > number of columns.  I fiddle with the list-box format string to get an
> > apparent variable number of columns.

> > This is OK but can waste a heck of a lot of memory and its making me
feel
> > untidy!.

> > Can anybody see how to - at run time - only create a Q record that has
the
> > space for N columns; where N varies at any time...?

> > Regards,
> > Colin J
> > www.sailwave.com



Sat, 02 Apr 2005 19:40:06 GMT  
 
 [ 8 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. LIST BOX AND DROP DOWN LIST BOX

2. List box in source procedure - Up and Down Key not work

3. Dimed variables in list box???

4. Q: Sorting List Box by Local Variable (CW 2.002)

5. variable as list box header?

6. Variable sized parameter lists.

7. 2 Easy Qs: Lists to tuples, and freeze.py

8. Constant size exceeds variable size?

9. check box in edit in place list box

10. check box in edit in place list box

11. Combo Boxes / List Boxes

12. get value of a combo box or a list box in embeds

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software