File Conversion Problems
Author Message
 File Conversion Problems

Today I had some file conversion problems. The file only contained a
few test records and I did eventually get it converted. But I am
worried by the fact that I had problems at all.

I added a key to a file and then ran Convert. The records appeared to
convert correctly, but I then got a message "Error (37); File Not
Open". I have not had this error before. From the dictionary, using
Browse first gave the message about incorrect structure and then gave
the same File Not Open message. No file conversion took place.

I tried TpsFix. No problems reported. Could still not convert the file.

Decided to convert the file using source generation. File>Open>Database
etc produced a GPF. CW crashed. Ran scandisk etc.

Could still not convert the file from the dictionary.

Tried to use the source generation method again. No GPF this time, but
I came across another problem. The docs say that Source Dictionary is
optional, but selecting the target dictionary writes the target
dictionary into the field for the source dictionary. This cannot now be
deleted.

Restored an old dictionary from backup and managed to convert the file.

QUESTIONS
1. Why did I get the "Error (37); File Not Open" error in the first
place? How do I prevent/correct this problem?
2. What would happen if I did not have a backup of the old dictionary?

I am worried about these problems. I could easily loose a real data
file!

Malcolm

Sun, 17 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 File Conversion Problems

Quote:

>Tried to use the source generation method again. No GPF this time, but
>I came across another problem. The docs say that Source Dictionary is
>optional, but selecting the target dictionary writes the target
>dictionary into the field for the source dictionary. This cannot now be
>deleted.

Hi Malcolm

Am doing a lot of file conversions these days and I have not had this
problem.  For file conversions from the dictionary make sure that the
"Ful Pathname" for the file is empty.

As for the generated source method,  one should make a copy of the
dictionary before changing the file and rename it OldDictionary.  Use
this dictionary as the Source Dictionary for the Convert.exe.  If the
same dictionary is used you have to change the file structures inside
the source code before compiling it again.

Another thing,  the data manager does not work when you have the file
defined as a table inside a single DOS file.

Hope this helps

Andr Hayward

Tue, 19 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. File conversion problems...

2. File Conversion Problem - Please Help

3. File conversion problem through dictionary convert

4. File conversion problem

5. file conversion problem

6. TPS files conversion problem

7. DBF - TPS file conversion problem.

8. CW 1.501 file conversion problems - still not answered..

9. File Conversion problems. HELP!!

10. File Conversion with File Manager on Huge files

11. Dict File Conversion Program Problem

12. Intel Hex file conversion to binary file question