Dumb Question Coming Up: Why Clario
Author Message
 Dumb Question Coming Up: Why Clario

Hi,

I'm thinking about going back to programming (I'm a network admin/engineer
now) and I'm trying to pick a language to start learning.  My early training
was with TurboPascal 5.0 and its IDE and I liked that a lot.  I tested
Clarion back in the DOS days and was impressed with the concept.  The
question is, is this a language to invest your time in.

I'm interested it writing simple programs at first for small companies that
can not afford custom programmers.  However, as my skills grow I want to
move up the level of complexity.  Will Clarion allow me to do this.  If it
is so good, why is it so unpopular?

Thanks in advance for the comments.

LANshark

Sun, 03 Jul 2005 08:43:37 GMT
 Dumb Question Coming Up: Why Clario
Howard,

  If you would like to chat to Clarion programmers and ask your questions (which
I am sure are numerous), you can join us in our weekly IR Chat. It is on
Wednesdays. For more information.. http://www.openclarion.org/ir_chat.shtml

Ron

Quote:

> Hi,

> I'm thinking about going back to programming (I'm a network admin/engineer
> now) and I'm trying to pick a language to start learning.  My early training
> was with TurboPascal 5.0 and its IDE and I liked that a lot.  I tested
> Clarion back in the DOS days and was impressed with the concept.  The
> question is, is this a language to invest your time in.

> I'm interested it writing simple programs at first for small companies that
> can not afford custom programmers.  However, as my skills grow I want to
> move up the level of complexity.  Will Clarion allow me to do this.  If it
> is so good, why is it so unpopular?

> Thanks in advance for the comments.

> LANshark

Sun, 03 Jul 2005 09:23:44 GMT
 Dumb Question Coming Up: Why Clario
Clarion is not unpopular... the company just doesn't do ANY marketing.
Clarion is a great tool...

--
Ben E. Brady
http://www.y2kbrady.com/diabetes/

Quote:
> Hi,

> I'm thinking about going back to programming (I'm a network admin/engineer
> now) and I'm trying to pick a language to start learning.  My early
training
> was with TurboPascal 5.0 and its IDE and I liked that a lot.  I tested
> Clarion back in the DOS days and was impressed with the concept.  The
> question is, is this a language to invest your time in.

> I'm interested it writing simple programs at first for small companies
that
> can not afford custom programmers.  However, as my skills grow I want to
> move up the level of complexity.  Will Clarion allow me to do this.  If it
> is so good, why is it so unpopular?

> Thanks in advance for the comments.

> LANshark

Mon, 04 Jul 2005 14:20:35 GMT
 Dumb Question Coming Up: Why Clario
Try learning both clarion

and somthing like Java, or VB Dot Net.

VB is simple to learn and so is clarion.

They are just different.

Both are easy to learn and use.

Quote:
> Hi,

> I'm thinking about going back to programming (I'm a network admin/engineer
> now) and I'm trying to pick a language to start learning.  My early
training
> was with TurboPascal 5.0 and its IDE and I liked that a lot.  I tested
> Clarion back in the DOS days and was impressed with the concept.  The
> question is, is this a language to invest your time in.

> I'm interested it writing simple programs at first for small companies
that
> can not afford custom programmers.  However, as my skills grow I want to
> move up the level of complexity.  Will Clarion allow me to do this.  If it
> is so good, why is it so unpopular?

> Thanks in advance for the comments.

> LANshark

Sat, 09 Jul 2005 09:56:48 GMT
 Dumb Question Coming Up: Why Clario
Howard
I am a 'hobby' programmer but the results I can obtain with very
little effort with Clarion impress me with very little knowledge of
the language. If you learn the language to the fullest extent it is
powerful and not too difficult. Like all languages it has its quirks
but compared to VB and others results are much more quickly obtained.
It may not be the most popular but I have not seen anything that comes
near it.
Also when you run into problems the NG are extremely helpful.

Pete,

Quote:

> Hi,

> I'm thinking about going back to programming (I'm a network admin/engineer
> now) and I'm trying to pick a language to start learning.  My early training
> was with TurboPascal 5.0 and its IDE and I liked that a lot.  I tested
> Clarion back in the DOS days and was impressed with the concept.  The
> question is, is this a language to invest your time in.

> I'm interested it writing simple programs at first for small companies that
> can not afford custom programmers.  However, as my skills grow I want to
> move up the level of complexity.  Will Clarion allow me to do this.  If it
> is so good, why is it so unpopular?

> Thanks in advance for the comments.

> LANshark

Sun, 10 Jul 2005 06:26:15 GMT

1. Dumb newbie asks dumber question

2. why why why (mouse related question)

3. One More Reason Why Consulting Rates Are Coming Down

4. GPF goes away when use debugger...or Dumb and Dumber

5. why why why oh why why baby

6. Anyone heard of Clario.net

7. Clario Drop Down Boxes

8. Dumb question re date/time picker

9. Automation - dumb question

10. Dumb beginner question...

11. Real Dumb Question on APL Domino

12. Dumb question about binary representaions in J