Virus Alert: Unwarrented?
Author Message
 Virus Alert: Unwarrented?

Ray,
    Seems to me we've had lots of "virus alerts" about eMail.
Unfortunately, unless they've started something new that can get by the
normal browser security against such things (yes, you can incorporate
HTML - but, to my knowledge, HTML does not have that kind of "power" in
your system). *Usually* virus' that are spread through eMail are done so
with an attached file - which is the virus in the traditional form. (if
you do a scan in this news group for virus, you will find a thread about
the last time these "scares" came down the pike...) So, we generally
ignore these types of warnings.
    I'm sure you will get other comments on this... Don't get too
e{*filter*}d.

    kurtt

Quote:

> Hi All

> I received this e-mail message from my auditor Mr. Andre de  Jager.
> Please read it and take note.

> Virus alert - Important Message
>  Date: 19 August 1997 05:01

> >  SUBJECT: Virus alert - Important Message

> >  This letter is to warn you about three
> EXTREMELY dangerous viruses that are being
> transmitted through the E-mail. This information
> was given to us by local law enforcement. The actual
> letter is copied below. Please pass it on to
> EVERYONE you know A.S.A.P.

> "JOIN THE CREW", DO NOT open it| It will erase
> EVERYTHING on your hard drive
> If anyone receives mail entitled:
> PENPALGREETINGS| please delete it without
> reading it This is a warning for all inter net users -
> there is a dangerous virus propagating across the
> inter net through an e-mail  message entitled,
> "PENPAL GREETINGS|".

Tue, 08 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Virus Alert: Unwarrented?

On Fri, 22 Aug 1997 07:36:24 -0500, Kurt Pawlikowski

Quote:

>*Usually* virus' that are spread through eMail are done so
>with an attached file - which is the virus in the traditional form.

And even then, you can't run the virus merely by opening the email -
you have to decode the attachment and run it(or in the case of Word
mscro viruses, load them into Word).  I'm pretty sure the "Penpal
Virus" warning has been labelled a hoax by CERT.  The other two look
like copycat warnings.

Quote:
>Please pass it on to EVERYONE you know A.S.A.P.

Of course, some consider the warnings themselves to be "wetware"
viruses - they work by driving the recipient into a state of paranoia
and encouraging them to spread to the warning to others.

Ben
--

Senior Systems Analyst                |
TermNet Merchant Services, Inc.       |

Tue, 08 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Product Support Services - Moderate Security Alert - Virus Alert: Klez-E

2. EMAIL VIRUS ALERT

3. Virus Alert

4. Virus alert

5. Virus alert - I just got 3 mails w/ this, norton caught it

6. OT: VIRUS ALERT!

7. Very Funny.vbs Virus Alert

8. FREE Virus Alert Newsletter

9. Bogus Virus Alert

10. Virus Alert - RE: Soak rice stick noodles in hot water

11. FREE Virus Alert Newsletter