Desk top vs lap top
Author Message
 Desk top vs lap top

I need advice. I am developing an app which will run on both
desk tops
and lap tops.  Screens sized for desk tops cannot be seen on
lap tops
and screens designed for lap tops look silly on desk tops.
I have
worked around this problem by writing a browse for each and
the
machine identified by the config file.  Needless to say,
this is a
real PITA.  Is there a way for the app to determine the
display and
the adjust the browse accordingly.  If it can be done, how
is it done.

TIA to all who have suggestions,
Gerald

Sat, 21 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Desk top vs lap top
Hi Gerald,

I think it depends a lot on which Notebook you use.  I have a Sony and
everything looks just fine on it and on my Desktop too.  But if I use a 14
inch monitor and a small screen Notebook, there are problems.

Regards,
Earl

Quote:
> I need advice. I am developing an app which will run on both
> desk tops
> and lap tops.  Screens sized for desk tops cannot be seen on
> lap tops
> and screens designed for lap tops look silly on desk tops.
> I have
> worked around this problem by writing a browse for each and
> the
> machine identified by the config file.  Needless to say,
> this is a
> real PITA.  Is there a way for the app to determine the
> display and
> the adjust the browse accordingly.  If it can be done, how
> is it done.

> TIA to all who have suggestions,
> Gerald

Sat, 21 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Desk top vs lap top
Hello Gerald,

I also have been using the the same pogram on both desks and
notebooks.  Basically I make sure the main screen has both its
scrollbars enabled, keep the size of input forms manageably small (so
they are fully visible in 640x480)using tabs if necessary, and enable
window frame resizing for most browses in either resize or spread mode,
depending on the contents and layout.  (also- if there is a nice
graphic pattern as a background for the main window, people seem not to
mind having smaller entry windows on their big displays.)

Best,
Dave Sperling

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Sun, 22 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Desk top vs lap top
Hi
What about using Arial as basic font, it seems to work a little better on
both type of screen.
Regards
Viggo Poulsen

Quote:
> I need advice. I am developing an app which will run on both
> desk tops
> and lap tops.  Screens sized for desk tops cannot be seen on
> lap tops
> and screens designed for lap tops look silly on desk tops.
> I have
> worked around this problem by writing a browse for each and
> the
> machine identified by the config file.  Needless to say,
> this is a
> real PITA.  Is there a way for the app to determine the
> display and
> the adjust the browse accordingly.  If it can be done, how
> is it done.

> TIA to all who have suggestions,
> Gerald

Thu, 26 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. lap top vs desk top

2. Tower Eiffel on a lap-top running LINUX

3. Help Please - Unwanted Desk top Icons of datafiles

4. Restoring the Poplog Desk Top

5. Keeping top level on top.

6. problem witrh top-down vs. bottom-up bitmaps

7. top-level (global) vs internal (local) variables/definitions

8. top-level vs internal DEFINE's

9. Top-level vs. internal define question

10. OT: top-posting vs. inline responses

11. SETQ vs DEFVAR at the top level

12. Help - always-on-top in VS 3.0.1