DATE vs LONG in .tps files and ODBC
Author Message
 DATE vs LONG in .tps files and ODBC

I was wondering if there are advantages/disadvantages to using DATE vs. LONG
to store dates in .tps files.  I am hoping to give my users access to the
.tps files via the TopSpeed ODBC driver.  There are a LOT of date fields.  I
don't mind changing them from LONG to DATE if it will have advantages.

All comments will be appreciated.

--
Peter Gysegem
Beaver Creek Software

Thu, 06 Nov 2003 03:37:28 GMT
 DATE vs LONG in .tps files and ODBC
You can still use the long as a date in ODBC.  I declare the SQL table
column datatype as a decimal(13,0). (probably only need decimal(6,0))  I
tried type int in MSSQL but had random problems.

The clarion standard date interpretation works fine.  disadvantage is that
your date field is not transparent to other (non clarion ) apps and
difficult to work with stored procs.

Ray Carrington

Thu, 06 Nov 2003 14:22:54 GMT
 DATE vs LONG in .tps files and ODBC
Thanks Ray,

My understanding is that I can setup the TopSpeed ODBC driver to present my
LONG dates as ODBC compliant dates but that I don't have to do anything if
they are stored as DATE instead.

Peter Gysegem
Beaver Creek Software

Quote:

>You can still use the long as a date in ODBC.  I declare the SQL table
>column datatype as a decimal(13,0). (probably only need decimal(6,0))  I
>tried type int in MSSQL but had random problems.

>The clarion standard date interpretation works fine.  disadvantage is that
>your date field is not transparent to other (non clarion ) apps and
>difficult to work with stored procs.

>Ray Carrington

Sat, 08 Nov 2003 09:29:50 GMT

1. Beta TPS ODBC (long) Date conversion ?

2. in ASP displaying date from TPS files stored as Long

3. TPS file recovery utility/TPS ODBC problem

4. TPS ODBC Date Problem

5. TPS ODBC and Date Fields in Crystal Reports?????

6. Using Long File Names (TPS Files) in Clarion

7. Advantage of Using Date vs Long?

8. Coonecting to TPS file via SV-ODBC

9. ODBC + TPS Files on Client Site

10. ODBC for TPS file format

11. ODBC interface for .tps files

12. TPS Files No longer supported in CFD w/Win95