Converting from DOS Clarion 2.1 to Clarion for Win - Questions
Author Message
 Converting from DOS Clarion 2.1 to Clarion for Win - Questions

For the past 8 years I've used various versions of Clarion for DOS.
I recently started playing around with the Clarion for Windows
version (standard edition) and several questions have come up.

In all the Clarion for Windows FORM entry screens, you have to use
the TAB key to move between fields.  Is there a way to use the ENTER
key to move between fields?  For myself and my exisiting Clarion for
DOS users, they are used to using the ENTER key.

Also when in a TABLE in Clarion for DOS, I can represent a record on
multiple lines.  See this example:

|                          Customer Master Maintenance                   |
|                               TEST CUST, INC.                          |
|------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|     CUSTOMER BILLING INFORMATION         CUSTOMER SHIPPING INFORMATION |
|Abrv Name                 City            Name                 City     |
|COL1 TEST CUSTOMER INC.   COLUMBUS,       SAME                          |
|     1234 ANYWHERE  AVE.  OH 99999                                      |
|                                                                        |
|COLU TEST CUSTOMER INC.   COLUMBUS,       TEST CUSTOMER BRANCH COLUMBUS,|
|     54321 SOUTH MAIN     OH 99999        7777 WEST MAIN       OH 99999 |
|                                                                        |
|                                                                        |
|------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|         ESC - Quit    INS - Insert    DEL - Delete    ENTER - Change   |

Each ABRV above is a different address that is related to a
customer.  Each Address has multipe lines for street, city, zip
etc..  This type of information is very natural to view in multiple
lines like above.

So far in my limited experimentation with Clarion for WIN, the
BROWSE template seems to be the equivilant to the TABLE.  But I have
yet to figure out how to present multiple lines for a single record
in a BROWSE template.

Any help on these 2 questions would be most appreciated.  Please
send email directly back to me.

Thanks for your help,

Jerry

-------------
Jerry Jelinek

Sat, 20 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Converting from DOS Clarion 2.1 to Clarion for Win - Questions

Quote:

> For the past 8 years I've used various versions of Clarion for DOS.
> I recently started playing around with the Clarion for Windows
> version (standard edition) and several questions have come up.

> In all the Clarion for Windows FORM entry screens, you have to use
> the TAB key to move between fields.  Is there a way to use the ENTER
> key to move between fields?  For myself and my exisiting Clarion for
> DOS users, they are used to using the ENTER key.

> Also when in a TABLE in Clarion for DOS, I can represent a record on
> multiple lines.  See this example:

> +------------------------------------------------------------------------+
> |                          Customer Master Maintenance                   |
> |                               TEST CUST, INC.                          |
> |------------------------------------------------------------------------|
> |     CUSTOMER BILLING INFORMATION         CUSTOMER SHIPPING INFORMATION |
> |Abrv Name                 City            Name                 City     |
> |COL1 TEST CUSTOMER INC.   COLUMBUS,       SAME                          |
> |     1234 ANYWHERE  AVE.  OH 99999                                      |
> |                                                                        |
> |COLU TEST CUSTOMER INC.   COLUMBUS,       TEST CUSTOMER BRANCH COLUMBUS,|
> |     54321 SOUTH MAIN     OH 99999        7777 WEST MAIN       OH 99999 |
> |                                                                        |
> |                                                                        |
> |------------------------------------------------------------------------|
> |         ESC - Quit    INS - Insert    DEL - Delete    ENTER - Change   |
> +------------------------------------------------------------------------+

> Each ABRV above is a different address that is related to a
> customer.  Each Address has multipe lines for street, city, zip
> etc..  This type of information is very natural to view in multiple
> lines like above.

> So far in my limited experimentation with Clarion for WIN, the
> BROWSE template seems to be the equivilant to the TABLE.  But I have
> yet to figure out how to present multiple lines for a single record
> in a BROWSE template.

> Any help on these 2 questions would be most appreciated.  Please
> send email directly back to me.

> Thanks for your help,

> Jerry

> -------------
> Jerry Jelinek

To use the ENTER key in place of the TAB key, use: ALIAS(EnterKey,
TabKey) as described on page 384 of the Language Reference.

Multiple lines can be displayed in a browse by selecting "Last on Line"
in the List Field Properties as described on page 394 of the User's
Guide.

Sat, 20 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Converting from DOS Clarion 2.1 to Clarion for Win - Questions

Jerry,

The standard Windows behavior is to use Tab.  There are some exceptions in
some areas of some programs, but the norm is to use TAB.  One can work
around this by use of the ALIAS function.  Or you can write a template.
However, new customers of yours make not like using ENTER as it is not
standard.

The list box (in a browse procedure) can have multiple lines.  Go into your
list box formatter and select one of the fields that you want to be last on
a line.  Open the properties and check "Last on line".  The other fields
will then wrap around.

HTH,
--
Russell B. Eggen
Topspeed.Consulting

[Using MS Internet News on fortress.uccb.ns.ca]

Quote:
> For the past 8 years I've used various versions of Clarion for DOS.
> I recently started playing around with the Clarion for Windows
> version (standard edition) and several questions have come up.

> In all the Clarion for Windows FORM entry screens, you have to use
> the TAB key to move between fields.  Is there a way to use the ENTER
> key to move between fields?  For myself and my exisiting Clarion for
> DOS users, they are used to using the ENTER key.

> Also when in a TABLE in Clarion for DOS, I can represent a record on
> multiple lines.  See this example:

Sun, 21 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Converting from DOS Clarion 2.1 to Clarion for Win - Questions

Hi Russ,

Quote:
>The standard Windows behavior is to use Tab.  There are some exceptions in
>some areas of some programs, but the norm is to use TAB.  One can work
>around this by use of the ALIAS function.  Or you can write a template.
>However, new customers of yours make not like using ENTER as it is not
>standard.

Allerup templates have a enter/tab template that allows the developer
to determine which key to use and this can be set dependent on a
variable.  We have this implemented in at least one program and with a
simple check menu item in the main menu, the user can switch between
enter or tab keys.

Quote:
>The list box (in a browse procedure) can have multiple lines.  Go into your
>list box formatter and select one of the fields that you want to be last on
>a line.  Open the properties and check "Last on line".  The other fields
>will then wrap around.

Thanks:)  Very useful tip:)

Best regards,

Arnor Baldvinsson
Allerup Edb
Tel: +45 4675 7122
Fax: +45 4675 7144
Denmark

http://www.icetips.com

Opinions are mine, and mine alone!

Sun, 21 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Converting from DOS Clarion 2.1 to Clarion for Win - Questions

Arnor,

Thanks for the info.  This subject does come up every now and then.  In the
future, I will refer them to you.

--
Russell B. Eggen
Topspeed.Consulting
Topspeed.Education

[Using MS Internet News on fortress.uccb.ns.ca]

Quote:
> Hi Russ,

> Allerup templates have a enter/tab template that allows the developer
> to determine which key to use and this can be set dependent on a
> variable.  We have this implemented in at least one program and with a
> simple check menu item in the main menu, the user can switch between
> enter or tab keys.

Mon, 22 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Converting from DOS Clarion 2.1 to Clarion for Win - Questions

Hi Russ,

Quote:
>Thanks for the info.  This subject does come up every now and then.  In the
>future, I will refer them to you.

Must admit, I've never tried it myself, but it seems to work ok.

Just check out http://www.allerup.com/default2.htm (that is the
english version, for those not fluent in danish<g>)

Best regards,

Arnor Baldvinsson
Allerup Edb
Tel: +45 4675 7122
Fax: +45 4675 7144
Denmark

http://www.icetips.com

Opinions are mine, and mine alone!

Mon, 22 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Help needed converting 2.1 for DOS files - Clarion Expert needed

2. Converting Clarion DOS 2.1 *.DAT to CW - Choosing between CW VB Delphi

3. Clarion 2.1 LEM under Clarion 3.1 for DOS

4. Clarion 2.1 (dos) error with WIN 95 --- please help ---

5. Clarion for DOS 2.1 and Win 2000

6. Win ME & DOS Clarion 2.1

7. Clarion 2.1 for dos question

8. Clarion 2.1 for DOS and printing in a WIN95 DOS window

9. Converting to Win Clarion V5 from DOS version

10. Converting Clarion 2.1 Application

11. Clarion 2.1 and Printing on Win 95 / 98

12. Conversione programma da clarion 2.1 a Clarion 5