decompiler
Author Message
 decompiler

Is there out on the net any decompiler for clarion?
thanks.

Mon, 30 Jun 2003 01:11:08 GMT
 decompiler
If there is. I want a copy!
John
Quote:

> Is there out on the net any decompiler for clarion?
> thanks.

Mon, 30 Jun 2003 06:23:23 GMT
 decompiler
Well if there is it sounds like this would be illegal and violate your
license.

Quote:
> Is there out on the net any decompiler for clarion?
> thanks.

Mon, 30 Jun 2003 12:58:32 GMT
 decompiler
Quote:

> Is there out on the net any decompiler for clarion?

The de{*filter*} will show you your code at the assembler level. Very
educational.
----------------------------------
Jim Kane
Team SoftVelocity
Productive Software Solutions
Cant find the message?
Get Organized, Get ForKeeps
www.fkeeps.com

Mon, 30 Jun 2003 08:12:15 GMT
 decompiler
Hi Kevin,

I dropped Clipper and FoxPro because Clipper can be decompiled with
Valkaylie and FoxPro can be decompiled with DeFox.

Please.. please, Franky!  Do not make me look around for development tools
again!!  <G>

Thanks.

Kelvin Chua
SINGAPORE

Quote:
> Well if there is it sounds like this would be illegal and violate your
> license.

> > Is there out on the net any decompiler for clarion?
> > thanks.

Tue, 01 Jul 2003 07:31:56 GMT
 decompiler
Hi Kelvin,
    Clipper can be decompiled, but if you use Blinker, you cant do it. I am
still using clipper and sometimes I miss it!! :-))
    But I hope Clarion cant be decompiled!!!
    Thanks.

Mauricio Nicastro

Quote:
> Hi Kevin,

> I dropped Clipper and FoxPro because Clipper can be decompiled with
> Valkaylie and FoxPro can be decompiled with DeFox.

> Please.. please, Franky!  Do not make me look around for development tools
> again!!  <G>

> Thanks.

> Kelvin Chua
> SINGAPORE

> > Well if there is it sounds like this would be illegal and violate your
> > license.

> > > Is there out on the net any decompiler for clarion?
> > > thanks.

Mon, 30 Jun 2003 20:59:44 GMT
 decompiler
The Clarion language is truly compiled. It is converted into
native code and RTL calls. Reverse engineering assembly language
back into Clarion code would almost impossible. But it is possible
to disassemble any EXE, DLL, or component files and have a look.
But you won't be looking at Clarion code.

The old Clarion 2.1, like Clipper, was tokenized p-code and was
much easier to "decompile". It was done.

Quote:

--
 Randy Goodhew
 ---[ eQ ]---

Mon, 30 Jun 2003 21:24:18 GMT
 decompiler
Heavenes Kelvin -

Clarion is compiled into machine language code. It generates what is called
a 'PE' (Portable Executable) file. This file gets used by the OS loader to
load the program at run time.

While there are disassemblers available through the net that can take appart
some of the 'PE' file and show the internals, there is enough only to
reverse engineer assembler with any degree of accuracy. And all you get is
uncommented assembler source.

There are individuals and companies that specialize in reverse engineering
and recreating source code for specific environments and languages, it is
very specific. Nothing generalized, and not generally available (that I am
aware of) to the general public. These types of companies are mostly
interested in recovery of lost source. Lost source code through carelessness
or because the original vendor disappeared out of the landscape. Large
companies. Mostly big dollars.

Reverse engineering Clarion code while technically posible is highly
unlikely since the effort it would take would far outweight any benefit you
could get from it. And it also would violate your licence and possibly (I
believe) a whole bunch of copyright laws. It would be faster to look at the
screens, the reports and create your own version of any software, Clarion or
otherwise.

Unlike the languages you mentioned and Java (which can be reversed
engineered easily), Clarion is relatively safe for development. Relatively
safe as c, c++, or any other compiled language.

Enjoy!
Roberto Artigas Jr

Quote:
> Hi Kevin,

> I dropped Clipper and FoxPro because Clipper can be decompiled with
> Valkaylie and FoxPro can be decompiled with DeFox.

> Please.. please, Franky!  Do not make me look around for development tools
> again!!  <G>

> Thanks.

> Kelvin Chua
> SINGAPORE

> > Well if there is it sounds like this would be illegal and violate your
> > license.

> > > Is there out on the net any decompiler for clarion?
> > > thanks.

Mon, 30 Jun 2003 21:46:15 GMT
 decompiler
Hi Mauricio,

I used to compile with Blinker, Causeway and I also incorporated the Six
Driver from Successware (darn fast indexing!!).  Also incorporated the
RaSQL/b (forgotten... I think it was the Btrieve 5.21...).

But.... no more, I do not want to go back to the 100% job anywhere, enough
is enough!! <VBG>.

Thanks.

Kelvin Chua
SINGAPORE

Quote:
> Hi Kelvin,
>     Clipper can be decompiled, but if you use Blinker, you cant do it. I
am
> still using clipper and sometimes I miss it!! :-))
>     But I hope Clarion cant be decompiled!!!
>     Thanks.

> Mauricio Nicastro

> > Hi Kevin,

> > I dropped Clipper and FoxPro because Clipper can be decompiled with
> > Valkaylie and FoxPro can be decompiled with DeFox.

> > Please.. please, Franky!  Do not make me look around for development
tools
> > again!!  <G>

> > Thanks.

> > Kelvin Chua
> > SINGAPORE

> > > Well if there is it sounds like this would be illegal and violate your
> > > license.

Tue, 01 Jul 2003 15:41:37 GMT
 decompiler
Hi Roberto,

Indeed, and ... that is why I am still with Clarion.

We have programs written in Delphi 5 and we can easily reverse engineered it
to about 75% coding...

Thanks.

Kelvin Chua
SINGAPORE

Quote:
> Heavenes Kelvin -

> Clarion is compiled into machine language code. It generates what is
called
> a 'PE' (Portable Executable) file. This file gets used by the OS loader to
> load the program at run time.

> While there are disassemblers available through the net that can take
appart
> some of the 'PE' file and show the internals, there is enough only to
> reverse engineer assembler with any degree of accuracy. And all you get is
> uncommented assembler source.

> There are individuals and companies that specialize in reverse engineering
> and recreating source code for specific environments and languages, it is
> very specific. Nothing generalized, and not generally available (that I am
> aware of) to the general public. These types of companies are mostly
> interested in recovery of lost source. Lost source code through
carelessness
> or because the original vendor disappeared out of the landscape. Large
> companies. Mostly big dollars.

> Reverse engineering Clarion code while technically posible is highly
> unlikely since the effort it would take would far outweight any benefit
you
> could get from it. And it also would violate your licence and possibly (I
> believe) a whole bunch of copyright laws. It would be faster to look at
the
> screens, the reports and create your own version of any software, Clarion
or
> otherwise.

> Unlike the languages you mentioned and Java (which can be reversed
> engineered easily), Clarion is relatively safe for development. Relatively
> safe as c, c++, or any other compiled language.

> Enjoy!
> Roberto Artigas Jr

> > Hi Kevin,

> > I dropped Clipper and FoxPro because Clipper can be decompiled with
> > Valkaylie and FoxPro can be decompiled with DeFox.

> > Please.. please, Franky!  Do not make me look around for development
tools
> > again!!  <G>

> > Thanks.

> > Kelvin Chua
> > SINGAPORE

> > > Well if there is it sounds like this would be illegal and violate your
> > > license.

Tue, 01 Jul 2003 15:43:04 GMT
 decompiler
Heavenes Kelvin - Yes.

And that was a surprise when I did the research in just how vulnerable where
executable programs for different environments. As I found the Delphi
decompiler (with source) available on the net. The same weakness that makes
this possible in Delphi I believe makes it possible in CBuilder. It would
take some work, but it would be possible.

However, I did find a program that converts the forms in CBuilder to simple
c based windows programs. Which kinds of defeats some of the decompile
process that can be exploited in the inherent weakness against hacking of
both products.

What makes it some what safe (from my opinion) is that even with 75%
decompiled source, on any decent sized application, the effort to finish
this out, makes it less worth the time, and the possible legal hassles, as
to the possible financial gain, than recoding a complete application from
scratch.

As program generators such as Clarion and other's become more the normal,
decompiling or reverse engineering will become a moot point. It will become
more of a disaster recovery technique. Again, this is my opinion. And
remember, I use Clarion and c which are compiled languages.

Enjoy!
Roberto Artigas Jr

Quote:
> Hi Roberto,

> Indeed, and ... that is why I am still with Clarion.

> We have programs written in Delphi 5 and we can easily reverse engineered
it
> to about 75% coding...

> Thanks.

> Kelvin Chua
> SINGAPORE

> > Heavenes Kelvin -

> > Clarion is compiled into machine language code. It generates what is
> called
> > a 'PE' (Portable Executable) file. This file gets used by the OS loader
> > load the program at run time.

> > While there are disassemblers available through the net that can take
> appart
> > some of the 'PE' file and show the internals, there is enough only to
> > reverse engineer assembler with any degree of accuracy. And all you get
is
> > uncommented assembler source.

> > There are individuals and companies that specialize in reverse
engineering
> > and recreating source code for specific environments and languages, it
is
> > very specific. Nothing generalized, and not generally available (that I
am
> > aware of) to the general public. These types of companies are mostly
> > interested in recovery of lost source. Lost source code through
> carelessness
> > or because the original vendor disappeared out of the landscape. Large
> > companies. Mostly big dollars.

> > Reverse engineering Clarion code while technically posible is highly
> > unlikely since the effort it would take would far outweight any benefit
> you
> > could get from it. And it also would violate your licence and possibly
(I
> > believe) a whole bunch of copyright laws. It would be faster to look at
> the
> > screens, the reports and create your own version of any software,
Clarion
> or
> > otherwise.

> > Unlike the languages you mentioned and Java (which can be reversed
> > engineered easily), Clarion is relatively safe for development.
Relatively
> > safe as c, c++, or any other compiled language.

> > Enjoy!
> > Roberto Artigas Jr

> > > Hi Kevin,

> > > I dropped Clipper and FoxPro because Clipper can be decompiled with
> > > Valkaylie and FoxPro can be decompiled with DeFox.

> > > Please.. please, Franky!  Do not make me look around for development
> tools
> > > again!!  <G>

> > > Thanks.

> > > Kelvin Chua
> > > SINGAPORE

Tue, 01 Jul 2003 00:34:34 GMT
 decompiler
I found it is easier to rewrite a Clipper application than to decompile with
Valkyrie.
Still, it does leave critical parts of applications vulnerable to smart
thieves.

George.

Quote:

> Hi Kevin,

> I dropped Clipper and FoxPro because Clipper can be decompiled with
> Valkaylie and FoxPro can be decompiled with DeFox.

> Please.. please, Franky!  Do not make me look around for development tools
> again!!  <G>

> Thanks.

> Kelvin Chua
> SINGAPORE

> > Well if there is it sounds like this would be illegal and violate your
> > license.

> > > Is there out on the net any decompiler for clarion?
> > > thanks.

Tue, 01 Jul 2003 00:28:39 GMT
 decompiler
Get IDAPro and a very STRONG cup of coffee... You will be up ALL NIGHT for
weeks... <g>

--
Ben E. Brady
Brady & Associates, LLC.

Quote:
> Is there out on the net any decompiler for clarion?
> thanks.

Wed, 02 Jul 2003 15:13:13 GMT
 decompiler

Quote:
> Unlike the languages you mentioned and Java (which can be reversed
> engineered easily), Clarion is relatively safe for development.
> Relatively safe as c, c++, or any other compiled language.

Well, I know of at least one decompiler which generates C code:
http://archive.csee.uq.edu.au/~csmweb/dcc.html

--
M.I.K.e

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Sat, 05 Jul 2003 21:50:52 GMT
 decompiler
Heavenes Mike - Yes it does!

I had downloaded it a while back (when I did the research) and I took a look
at it. It does work for simple programs but it needs quite a bit of more
work to be brought up to date to the current enviroments, libraries, and
tools. The thinking, techniques, and approach are very solid though. It is
techically do-able.

It does take massive support to match the libraries that you are using if
you are not compiling locally. It will take more work to make this
de-compiler work to about a 50%-75% level correctly than it is worth in the
return of the time investment. Unless it is a disaster recovery situation.
And there are companies that do that.

If I wanted to re-create an application that bad I can do it faster by
looking at the screens and reports and recreating the application from
scratch using clarion's dictionary and template generation tools (as an
example) than with a 'c' de-compiler.

I did say that it was do-able. I also said that it was not worth my while.
And my opinion is that is not really worth the time for anyone to do it, if
the consideration is money. What would be the point?

I have seen individuals do massive amounts of work and post de-assemblers
and their sources to the web. I have not seen anyone take 'dcc' to the next
level, do the massive amounts of work, and re-post the sources on the web.
It is not imposible, just ---very--- unlikely.

Now, I will say that there are a lot of individuals that get a lot of joy
from doing the ---very--- unlikely.

But ---not--- today!

Enjoy!
Roberto Artigas Jr

Quote:

> > Unlike the languages you mentioned and Java (which can be reversed
> > engineered easily), Clarion is relatively safe for development.
> > Relatively safe as c, c++, or any other compiled language.

> Well, I know of at least one decompiler which generates C code:
> http://archive.csee.uq.edu.au/~csmweb/dcc.html

> --
> M.I.K.e

> Sent via Deja.com