Windows 3.1 to Windows '95
Author Message
 Windows 3.1 to Windows '95

Happy Holidays to All
 I have a Windows 95 question.  I got my son SIMGOLF for Christmas this year
and as I
was wrapping the software, I noticed that it requires Windows 95. I have
Windows 3.1 and have been considering
upgrading  so this seems like the logical time to upgrade.
  When you upgrade to Windows '95, do you have to reinstall all of the
previous Windows software such as
 CW 1.0, CW 1.5, CW2.latest or will the upgrade look at your exisiting setup
and create the folders (I have not worked with
'95) necessary?   If you have upgraded, please let me know how well the
upgrade went. I am running a DX4-100 Overdrive with
16 Meg memory, 6 Speed CDROM, 1 Meg Video Memory, 700 Meg hard drive space.

Thanks

Carroll

Mon, 14 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Windows 3.1 to Windows '95

Quote:
>   When you upgrade to Windows '95, do you have to reinstall all of the
> previous Windows software such as
>  CW 1.0, CW 1.5, CW2.latest or will the upgrade look at your exisiting setup
> and create the folders (I have not worked with
> '95) necessary?

If you choose to install Win95 in a directory other than your existing
Windows directory you will create a dual-boot situation and every
application must be installed again for Win95.  If you choose to install
into your existing Windows directory it will replace your old Win3.x and
migrate your applications for you.

I chose to replace my existing Windows but my wife was afraid of finding
new problems and had me install into another directory.  She is now
beginning to regret that decision.  She is tired of rebooting and has
already started to feel comfortable with the Win95 look and feel.  It
has been less than a month since she began to use Win95.  (Soon I get to
tell her "I told you so") :)

--

NW Computer Resources
using CPD 2.1, LPM, CauseWay, CFD 3.1, CW 1.5, CW 2.0, CPCS, PB,

Mon, 14 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Windows 3.1 to Windows '95

Quote:

> Happy Holidays to All
>  I have a Windows 95 question.  I got my son SIMGOLF for Christmas this year
> and as I
> was wrapping the software, I noticed that it requires Windows 95. I have
> Windows 3.1 and have been considering
> upgrading  so this seems like the logical time to upgrade.
>   When you upgrade to Windows '95, do you have to reinstall all of the
> previous Windows software such as
>  CW 1.0, CW 1.5, CW2.latest or will the upgrade look at your exisiting setup
> and create the folders (I have not worked with
> '95) necessary?   If you have upgraded, please let me know how well the
> upgrade went. I am running a DX4-100 Overdrive with
> 16 Meg memory, 6 Speed CDROM, 1 Meg Video Memory, 700 Meg hard drive space.

> Thanks

> Carroll

I have recently moved to Win'95, very reluctantly at first and have not
had to change a single thing regarding my CW installation.  I did not
originally install 32 bit stuff in CW and have not installed as I still
want to develop (for the time being) 16 bit apps.

I have a 586-120 (AMD), 32 megs, 4x CD, 1.2G hd

all works well - I strongly recommend going to 32 meg - things work so
much faster - especially in Win'95.  I do however feel like I should be
getting a larger hd - I don't really have much junk on it but Win95 is
much bigger than 3.1.

Overall, I am glad I went to Win 95.

GO FOR IT !!!  HTH

Mon, 14 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Windows 3.1 to Windows '95

Quote:
> I have a Windows 95 question.  I got my son SIMGOLF for Christmas this year
>and as I was wrapping the software, I noticed that it requires Windows 95. I have
>Windows 3.1 and have been considering upgrading  so this seems like the logical time to upgrade.
>  When you upgrade to Windows '95, do you have to reinstall all of the
>previous Windows software such as  CW 1.0, CW 1.5, CW2.latest or will the
> upgrade look at your exisiting setup and create the folders (I have not worked with
>'95) necessary?   If you have upgraded, please let me know how well the
>upgrade went. I am running a DX4-100 Overdrive with 16 Meg memory,
> 6 Speed CDROM, 1 Meg Video Memory, 700 Meg hard drive space.

If you choose to upgrade to a new directory, then old 3.1 groups are
not added to Win95 desktop. But there is a utility progam in your new
Windows folder called GRPCONV.EXE. Run this to install  your old
groups as folders on Win95 desktop.

HTH
--
Steve Greenwood
HiCaliber Software

Tue, 15 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Windows 3.1 to Windows '95

Quote:

>Happy Holidays to All
> I have a Windows 95 question.  I got my son SIMGOLF for Christmas this year
>and as I
>was wrapping the software, I noticed that it requires Windows 95. I have
>Windows 3.1 and have been considering
>upgrading  so this seems like the logical time to upgrade.
>  When you upgrade to Windows '95, do you have to reinstall all of the
>previous Windows software such as
> CW 1.0, CW 1.5, CW2.latest or will the upgrade look at your exisiting setup
>and create the folders (I have not worked with
>'95) necessary?   If you have upgraded, please let me know how well the
>upgrade went. I am running a DX4-100 Overdrive with
>16 Meg memory, 6 Speed CDROM, 1 Meg Video Memory, 700 Meg hard drive space.

>Thanks

>Carroll

Windows 95 is, in the main, a substantial improvement over earlier
versions of Windows. I did not have to do any modifications in order
to make CW run "correctly"...and I like having the ability to compile
32 bit apps.  I also like the built-in networking features of '95, and
the ability to dial up my office box (running Win'95) from my NT box
at home. Check out the add-on package from Microsoft if dial-up
networking is of interest to you.

I experienced a few problems with '95 (system crashes, hung
applications)  using '95, especially with CW. But the problems were
not that frequent.  I made the switch to NT and  the CW  problems
disappeared.    I don't believe the kernel used by '95 is on a par
with some other desktop operating systems, most notably NT or UNIX.
Still, '95 has a lot of nice features you don't get with 3.1/11.

Your hardware list looks ok. I run Win '95 on a P-75 with 16MB and
things are plenty speedy. 32 Megs would be a smart upgrade.

Good luck.

Wm Johnson

Tue, 15 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Windows 3.1 to Windows '95

Quote:

>Happy Holidays to All
> I have a Windows 95 question.  I got my son SIMGOLF for Christmas this year
>and as I
>was wrapping the software, I noticed that it requires Windows 95. I have
>Windows 3.1 and have been considering
>upgrading  so this seems like the logical time to upgrade.
>  When you upgrade to Windows '95, do you have to reinstall all of the
>previous Windows software such as
> CW 1.0, CW 1.5, CW2.latest or will the upgrade look at your exisiting setup
>and create the folders (I have not worked with
>'95) necessary?   If you have upgraded, please let me know how well the
>upgrade went. I am running a DX4-100 Overdrive with
>16 Meg memory, 6 Speed CDROM, 1 Meg Video Memory, 700 Meg hard drive space.

Since I work for a school district and have done a LOT of upgrades, I
found that the most reliable upgrades to win95 were almost always from
scratch.  Certian bad habits as to swap files and such will be
tranmuted to Win95 from 3.1.   I do have some sucessful upgrades too
but about half of the "upgrades" ended up getting the hard drive
reformated in the end and then installed fresh.  and of course this
will require that you reinstall CW and etc.  Make sure you back up
before you start, and make sure that you have all the CDrom drivers
and stuff availale for the upgrade...  -Carl

Thu, 17 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. What's difference between Windows 3.1 dans Windows 95

2. Help : REXX, from Windows 3.1 to Windows 95

3. Queries re MicroFocus Personal COBOL for Windows 3.1/Windows 95

4. 32 bit Fortran for Windows 3.1, NT and Windows 95

5. Running Fortran application as a DOS Windows under Windows 3.1 or 95

6. Oberon under Windows 3.1 or Win '95

7. looking for wbpro for vse 3.1 (on windows 95)

8. Win 95 vs Windows 3.1

9. Clarion 2.1 & 3.1 and Windows 95

10. Installing Clipper program in Windows 3.1/95

11. System Information under Windows 3.1 & 95

12. Best free VRML editor for windows 3.1 or 95