Imaging - scanning images and auto-filling data
Author Message
 Imaging - scanning images and auto-filling data
I need to be able to let my users fill in a standard form with tick-boxes.
This is then scanned so that records can be updated automatically.
Does anyone know how 'read' that image ie. look for specific makrs at
specific locations so that the information can be used to automatically
update data fields?

Mark Shupac

Tue, 03 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Imaging - scanning images and auto-filling data

Quote:
>I need to be able to let my users fill in a standard form with tick-boxes.
>This is then scanned so that records can be updated automatically.
>Does anyone know how 'read' that image ie. look for specific makrs at
>specific locations so that the information can be used to automatically
>update data fields?

This is a complex area. At my father work they are at the moment
implementing a system based on the same system. Even if this is
a system that also can read number inn the boxes the company making
it has used nearly 3 year developing the software to decode the
scanned forms.

I think you will save a lot of time and money if you used an existing
system, and then used the exported data in your own application.

IF YOU STILL wont to do it you self, as i remberer a BLOP image
kan be treated as an array. If you then load a mono-crom bitmap
into the BLOP you could start looping true the image byte by byte
until you find some 1's and compare the ones to a stored marker.
If it check out jump a preset distance in other to find a region
inside your tick--box. If you find some 1's there also you have
a tick-mark in the box.

Based on the resolution in the scanned image a simple (x * y)/8
will give an aproximate value where to find the tick-box

Kjetil Nesheim
More Computers

Tue, 03 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. import Image vs from PIL import Image vs import PIL.Image

2. Filling color Images?

3. Auto Format Image Control

4. Auto image generation with PHP and the GD extension

5. scan image to file or control

6. scan image with set size and file name, etc

7. Scanned image database

8. Image Scanning Tools?

9. barcode scanning from image

10. image file name changed on image save

11. VisualWorks 2.5.1: Image to Image Communication