Converting Exe's to DLL's
Author Message
 Converting Exe's to DLL's

I've got an Main application that calls 10 differant EXE files. I want to
keep the enduser from trying to run the separate applications without going
to the main app first. I think that changing the EXE files to DLL's would be
the route to go. Is it very complicated to call the DLL's from my main EXE
app without having to make many changes.

TIA
Faron Dunn

Wed, 06 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Converting Exe's to DLL's
Faron,
C5's manuals give a very fine discourse on how to do this under the DLL
topic. In answer to your question, there are some small, quick changes but
nothing too heavy.

--
Best regards
James Cooke

Wed, 06 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Converting Exe's to DLL's
It's pretty easy - for the HOW TO DO IT bit try using the Help File, How
Do I, Compiling and Linking and read Creating a DLL.

However, if you have a number of different EXE's at present you might
well need to rethink how the procedures in these are called.  In a
multi-dll app you are in effect calling a procedure as though it resided
in the main EXE file, but telling Clarion to find it in a DLL.  You will
also have to create a base DLL which holds all of the files in the app
and also export your global variables so they can be shared.

Once you get up to a middle to large application it is certainly worth
the effort to convert to DLL's.  But do allow yourself between two to
five days to convert it!

Quote:
>I've got an Main application that calls 10 differant EXE files. I want to
>keep the enduser from trying to run the separate applications without going
>to the main app first. I think that changing the EXE files to DLL's would be
>the route to go. Is it very complicated to call the DLL's from my main EXE
>app without having to make many changes.

--
David Penny, Pillar Software
C5EE, Pervasive/Btrieve, Crystal Reports 7

Wed, 06 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Converting Exe's to DLL's
Thanks guys, let me dig into the help files,

Faron

Quote:

>I've got an Main application that calls 10 differant EXE files. I want to
>keep the enduser from trying to run the separate applications without going
>to the main app first. I think that changing the EXE files to DLL's would
be
>the route to go. Is it very complicated to call the DLL's from my main EXE
>app without having to make many changes.

>TIA
>Faron Dunn

Wed, 06 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Converting Exe's to DLL's
Just remember, if you have any global variables in each of the apps,
they can have different values at the same time. When you combine you
have to decide if they should have the same name or rename each of them
in each separate app so they remain independant.
----
Jim Kane  - TeamTopSpeed
Productive Software Solutions
Can't Find that Message?
Get Organized, Get ForKeeps!
www.fkeeps.com

Wed, 06 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Converting Exe's to DLL's
Check out Capesoft's MultiProj. This helps you to maintain this sort of
arrangement and includes a tutorial that shows you how to convert.

http://www.capesoft.com

Tony

Quote:

--
Tony York
Fiscal Software

http://www.fiscal.com.au

Thu, 07 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Converting Exe's to DLL's
Thanks everyone, does anyone know how long capesoft.com will be down.

Faron

Quote:

>Check out Capesoft's MultiProj. This helps you to maintain this sort of
>arrangement and includes a tutorial that shows you how to convert.

>http://www.capesoft.com

>Tony

>> I've got an Main application that calls 10 differant EXE files. I want to
>> keep the enduser from trying to run the separate applications without
going
>> to the main app first. I think that changing the EXE files to DLL's would
be
>> the route to go. Is it very complicated to call the DLL's from my main
EXE
>> app without having to make many changes.

>> TIA
>> Faron Dunn

>--
>Tony York
>Fiscal Software
>Perth Western Australia

>http://www.fiscal.com.au

Thu, 07 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. LabView DLL's & EXE's

2. CW2 Exe & DLL's

3. Where declaring global variables when using exe + dll's with different data-dictionaries

4. Exe with 20 dll's loads slow

5. NewUser/How to get EXE+DLL's ??

6. NewUser/How to get EXE+DLL's

7. Single EXE and DLL's

8. Creating Local or StandAlone EXE with dll's

9. .exe too big, also after splitting in .dll's

10. .exe/.com/.dll/.sys - sdk's?

11. Having probs loading win dll's under w/ win41b1.exe pkg

12. convert's labview 6.1 vi's to labview 5.1 vi's