Shellexecute command line length
Author Message
 Shellexecute command line length

I am trying to send data to a secure asp web server through a URL, an
https://website.com/program.asp?parameter1=abc¶meter2=xyz type of
address. I have already figured out how to send the URL thru Clarion thanks
to a great template created by Jim Hickey from Clarionmag.com site.

My problem is that there are so many parameters that need to be sent, that
the url length exceeds 255 characters and is being truncated. I think I
remember reading somewhere that the limit of characters in a command line
processed by SHELLEXECUTE is 255. Is there any way around this? If not, is
there another way besides using shellexecute to send this long (over 350
character) url. Is there a template available either for sale or free that
will do this or does someone else have a solution?

Ron Barnett
PAID, Inc.

Mon, 22 Mar 2004 05:15:47 GMT
 Shellexecute command line length
Ron -

If you don't find a direct solution via ShellExecute(), perhaps you
could write an HTML page out to disk, then do your shell execute on
that disk file. Something like this:

<HTML>
<HEAD>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<SCRIPT Language="JavaScript">
  window.location = "https://website.com/program.asp?parameter1=abc";
</SCRIPT>
</BODY>
</HTML>

This way, you can make the URL as long as you need.

Just a thought.

On Wed, 3 Oct 2001 16:15:47 -0500, "Ron Barnett"

Quote:

>I am trying to send data to a secure asp web server through a URL, an
>https://website.com/program.asp?parameter1=abc¶meter2=xyz type of
>address. I have already figured out how to send the URL thru Clarion thanks
>to a great template created by Jim Hickey from Clarionmag.com site.

>My problem is that there are so many parameters that need to be sent, that
>the url length exceeds 255 characters and is being truncated. I think I
>remember reading somewhere that the limit of characters in a command line
>processed by SHELLEXECUTE is 255. Is there any way around this? If not, is
>there another way besides using shellexecute to send this long (over 350
>character) url. Is there a template available either for sale or free that
>will do this or does someone else have a solution?

Jeff Slarve
http://www.jssoftware.com

Mon, 22 Mar 2004 05:27:34 GMT
 Shellexecute command line length
Hi Ron,

I dont suppose you could use the IP address eg.255.255.255.255 instead
of the full name (assuming that website.com is a longer name than my
suggestion <g>)

Tony

Quote:

> I am trying to send data to a secure asp web server through a URL, an
> https://website.com/program.asp?parameter1=abc¶meter2=xyz type of
> address. I have already figured out how to send the URL thru Clarion thanks
> to a great template created by Jim Hickey from Clarionmag.com site.

> My problem is that there are so many parameters that need to be sent, that
> the url length exceeds 255 characters and is being truncated. I think I
> remember reading somewhere that the limit of characters in a command line
> processed by SHELLEXECUTE is 255. Is there any way around this? If not, is
> there another way besides using shellexecute to send this long (over 350
> character) url. Is there a template available either for sale or free that
> will do this or does someone else have a solution?

> Ron Barnett
> PAID, Inc.

Mon, 22 Mar 2004 07:06:51 GMT
 Shellexecute command line length
Nope - sorry, but the URL is far too long to save enough space that way. I
need to shave off about 100 characters. Thanks anyway, though.

Ron

Quote:
> Hi Ron,

> I dont suppose you could use the IP address eg.255.255.255.255 instead
> of the full name (assuming that website.com is a longer name than my
> suggestion <g>)

> Tony

> > I am trying to send data to a secure asp web server through a URL, an
> > https://website.com/program.asp?parameter1=abc¶meter2=xyz type of
> > address. I have already figured out how to send the URL thru Clarion
thanks
> > to a great template created by Jim Hickey from Clarionmag.com site.

> > My problem is that there are so many parameters that need to be sent,
that
> > the url length exceeds 255 characters and is being truncated. I think I
> > remember reading somewhere that the limit of characters in a command
line
> > processed by SHELLEXECUTE is 255. Is there any way around this? If not,
is
> > there another way besides using shellexecute to send this long (over 350
> > character) url. Is there a template available either for sale or free
that
> > will do this or does someone else have a solution?

> > Ron Barnett
> > PAID, Inc.

Mon, 22 Mar 2004 07:11:27 GMT
 Shellexecute command line length
Hi Ron,

On Wed, 3 Oct 2001 16:15:47 -0500, "Ron Barnett"

Quote:

>I am trying to send data to a secure asp web server through a URL, an
>https://website.com/program.asp?parameter1=abc¶meter2=xyz type of
>address. I have already figured out how to send the URL thru Clarion thanks
>to a great template created by Jim Hickey from Clarionmag.com site.

>My problem is that there are so many parameters that need to be sent, that
>the url length exceeds 255 characters and is being truncated. I think I
>remember reading somewhere that the limit of characters in a command line
>processed by SHELLEXECUTE is 255. Is there any way around this? If not, is

I would be surprised, but there might be a limit in the template
variable used to hold the path/parameters.  You might be able to fix
that in the template code.

Best regards,

Arnr Baldvinsson
San Antonio, Texas, USA
www.icetips.com & www.candobidding.com

ICQ:  113314380

Mon, 22 Mar 2004 07:44:58 GMT
 Shellexecute command line length
Arnor -

That's what I would guess.

Quote:

>I would be surprised, but there might be a limit in the template
>variable used to hold the path/parameters.  You might be able to fix
>that in the template code.

Jeff Slarve
http://www.jssoftware.com

Mon, 22 Mar 2004 08:04:22 GMT
 Shellexecute command line length
Hi Jeff,

Quote:
>That's what I would guess.

I got the templates, and the path is set to Cstring(256)  I changed it
to Cstring(1025) and emailed it back to Ron and asked him to test it.
I've been through the API help and I can't find any mention of limits
to the filename parameter.

Best regards,

Arnr Baldvinsson
San Antonio, Texas, USA
www.icetips.com & www.candobidding.com

ICQ:  113314380

Mon, 22 Mar 2004 10:18:17 GMT
 Shellexecute command line length
Ron,

If liked Jim Hickey's template, have a look at HyperActive, CapeSoft's
"Internet Link Template" on Steroids! Here's the reference for both.

Commercial Clarion Add-on

Product Description - HyperActive, MFG - CapeSoft
Internet Link - http://www.capesoft.com/accessories/hypersp.htm

Freeware

Product Description - Internet Link Template,
MFG - POSitive Software Company
Internet Link - http://www.clarioncentral.com/freestuff.htm

David

says...

Quote:

--
From David Troxell - Product Scope 32 PRO - Encourager Software

Profile Exchanges - Home Theater, Search Engines, Clarion Third Party
http://www.encouragersoftware.com/

Mon, 22 Mar 2004 11:48:13 GMT
 Shellexecute command line length
Thanks Arnor! That got it. Works perfectly now.

Maybe you should send that updated template to Hickey for him to post on his
his site. It would certainly make the template more usable - at least it did
for me.

Ron Barnett
PAID, Inc.

Quote:
> Hi Jeff,

> >That's what I would guess.

> I got the templates, and the path is set to Cstring(256)  I changed it
> to Cstring(1025) and emailed it back to Ron and asked him to test it.
> I've been through the API help and I can't find any mention of limits
> to the filename parameter.

> Best regards,

> Arnr Baldvinsson
> San Antonio, Texas, USA
> www.icetips.com & www.candobidding.com

> ICQ:  113314380

Mon, 22 Mar 2004 22:08:56 GMT
 Shellexecute command line length

Quote:

>I got the templates, and the path is set to Cstring(256)  I changed it
>to Cstring(1025) and emailed it back to Ron and asked him to test it.
>I've been through the API help and I can't find any mention of limits
>to the filename parameter.

Hmmm... You might mention that to Bruce. He's convinced that the limit
is 255 for the DOS command line. It wouldn't be a ShellExecute limit,
but a DOS limit. However, Ron's reply to this post indicates it works
perfectly.

Best Regards
Richard

The AppInit Template Set

www.powertech.no/~sylkie

Mon, 22 Mar 2004 13:37:48 GMT
 Shellexecute command line length
Hi Richard,

Quote:
>Hmmm... You might mention that to Bruce. He's convinced that the limit
>is 255 for the DOS command line. It wouldn't be a ShellExecute limit,
>but a DOS limit. However, Ron's reply to this post indicates it works
>perfectly.

I've just tested this and the commandline that I can use under
Windows98 calling a _32_ bit exe is exactly 492 characters - i.e. that
is the maximum length of Command('0') - the whole command line lenght.
For a _16_ bit it seems more like 134 characters total.  These are
limits when passing parameters to Clarion programs.  I don't know what
limits the OS puts on it, but these lengths make it into a clarion
program.

Best regards,

Arnr Baldvinsson
San Antonio, Texas, USA
www.icetips.com & www.candobidding.com

ICQ:  113314380

Tue, 23 Mar 2004 02:48:29 GMT

1. Command line length - awk on a PC

2. ShellExecute after another ShellExecute

3. Win2000 Gawk Renaming a file with system() command, command line to long

4. reading a line and executing a command on that line

5. command environments and command line arguments

6. Command line variables to executables,command programs

7. command line options for old viscob and vclink commands

8. command line command structure representation

9. Fortran command to read command line argument?

10. System commands and command-line args with g77 on Sun

11. Obtaining the line reached in a source command without terminating the command

12. Adjusting length of Vertical lines in report