ODBC - Don't even think about it!
Author Message
 ODBC - Don't even think about it!

Don't even think about trying to use ODBC with CW4, ABC or Clarion template
chain. At the least demanding and simplest level, CW4 fails. That level is:
Try browsing an ODBC source in the dictionary. Error message ALWAYS comes
up: UNSUPPORTED FILE DRIVER FUNCTION. Works fine in 2003.

How can it be that the new, improved CW is WORSE than the old?

I just can't figure Topspeed out. They have a small enough, but loyal
following and then they drop the ball on something as important as this.
This is my livelyhood they are messing with here and I'm just about fed up.
It's just damn irresponsible.

Dr. Kenn

Thu, 27 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 ODBC - Don't even think about it!

Hello Kenneth,

I had no idea that CW4 was that bad.  I have successfully imported file
definitions from SQL Anywhere into the CW4 dictionary and was able to browse
the tables without any problem. I wonder if it is specific to an individual
ODBC driver and CW4.

Thanks
Glenn

Quote:

>Don't even think about trying to use ODBC with CW4, ABC or Clarion template
>chain. At the least demanding and simplest level, CW4 fails. That level is:
>Try browsing an ODBC source in the dictionary. Error message ALWAYS comes
>up: UNSUPPORTED FILE DRIVER FUNCTION. Works fine in 2003.

>How can it be that the new, improved CW is WORSE than the old?

>I just can't figure Topspeed out. They have a small enough, but loyal
>following and then they drop the ball on something as important as this.
>This is my livelyhood they are messing with here and I'm just about fed up.
>It's just damn irresponsible.

>Dr. Kenn

Thu, 27 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 ODBC - Don't even think about it!

If your having an ODBC problem, be specific.

What driver? Version? 16/32? All data types supported?
I'm not an ODBC expert, but I know your comment cannot be resolved.  There's
simply not enough information.
--
Paul MacFarlane
American Riviera Software

http://www.business-plaza.com
http://www.sb.net/amerisft/

Quote:

>Don't even think about trying to use ODBC with CW4, ABC or Clarion template
>chain. At the least demanding and simplest level, CW4 fails. That level is:
>Try browsing an ODBC source in the dictionary. Error message ALWAYS comes
>up: UNSUPPORTED FILE DRIVER FUNCTION. Works fine in 2003.

Thu, 27 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 ODBC - Don't even think about it!

On further experimentation and Glenn's message, I was able to browse the
SQL Anywhere tables. In all cases, I could do so using the primary key. For
some tables, a secondary key would also work, but not for all tables. And
in ALL cases trying to use Record Order order failed with the message I
previously indicated.

Dr. Kenn

Fri, 28 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 ODBC - Don't even think about it!

Quote:
> Hello Kenneth,

> I had no idea that CW4 was that bad.  I have successfully imported file
> definitions from SQL Anywhere into the CW4 dictionary and was able to
browse
> the tables without any problem. I wonder if it is specific to an
individual
> ODBC driver and CW4.

Browses seemed to work Ok, as long as they were fairly simple, but about
anything else you tried to do, like SET( key, key ) NEXT(file) would
sometimes get the row you wanted, and sometimes not. I thought I was having
an awful time learing ABC, till I switched the dictionary to TPS.  Waiting
with anticipation for C4a.

--
For Hire,
Tom Ruby

Fri, 28 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 ODBC - Don't even think about it!

Quote:
> On further experimentation and Glenn's message, I was able to browse the
> SQL Anywhere tables. In all cases, I could do so using the primary key.
For
> some tables, a secondary key would also work, but not for all tables. And
> in ALL cases trying to use Record Order order failed with the message I
> previously indicated.

One thing to remember with ODBC is the ONLY way the browser has of
identifying a record in the list is by the key, so your key needs to have
enough fields to uniquely identify the row. But then, I had trouble with
range limits where the first value was to limit the range, and the next to
apply an order and the next to guarantee uniqueue lines...

--
For Hire,
Tom Ruby
Industry, Illinois USA
http://www.netins.net/showcase/tomruby/
CW Resource Page -> http://www.netins.net/showcase/tomruby/clarion/

Fri, 28 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 ODBC - Don't even think about it!

Quote:
> How can it be that the new, improved CW is WORSE than the old?

The ODBC driver for C4 is totally new.  It is not based on the CW 2.003 ODBC
driver.  I am not making excuses for Topspeed just passing on some info.

Later,

Troy
---------------------------------------
Counselor Troy [TTS net]
www.cwsuperpage.com

To reply via email remove QWERTY from my email address

Fri, 28 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 ODBC - Don't even think about it!

Perhaps does the table in question not have a unique key assignment?  SQL
tables use a unique
identifier to retrieve rows.  Make sure each row has at least one unique
key.

--
Best Regards,
Jerry P. Ray - Hard at Work

Quote:

>On further experimentation and Glenn's message, I was able to browse the
>SQL Anywhere tables. In all cases, I could do so using the primary key. For
>some tables, a secondary key would also work, but not for all tables. And
>in ALL cases trying to use Record Order order failed with the message I
>previously indicated.

Fri, 28 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. A VI opens when executing, even if I don't want to

2. Tkinter Context Menus select their first item even if you don't want them to

3. I don't think sensitivity list of a process is necessary

4. I don't think I understand popen2() behaviour

5. Leo Brodie's 'Thinking Forth'

6. 'Use the IconPaste utility on the cd...' = No...I don't think so.

7. Art and all that Jazz: don't even try to play weakly while you're killing in back of a stupid jar

8. Art and all that Jazz: don't even try to clean rigidly while you're sowing against a lower film

9. Perhaps 'not-thoroughly-thought-out'

10. tcl8's expr changes: why I think it's bad

11. I'm thinking about "Thinking about thinking"

12. Dolphin Applet's don't work...