Level:Benign gives Illegal Operation Error
Author Message
 Level:Benign gives Illegal Operation Error

Hi All
In a procedure/function when Level:Benign (or = 0 ) is returned it causes
Illegal Operation Error.
Level:Notify and Fatal - NO Problem
If Something
    LOC:ReturnValue=Level:Notify
else
    LOC:ReturnValue=Level:Benign
end
Return(Loc:ReturnValue)
If it is 0 0r Benign THEN big Problem!!!!
How do I solve this?
Thanks
---
Johan van Zyl
JVZ Systems CC - Reg No CK1990/006660/23
PO Box 3469 Somerset West 7129
Tel (021) 851 7205 Fax (021) 851 4204
Cell 082 875 4238
Customised Software and Support - Created in Clarion
RDBMS using MS SQL
DenTec2000 - Dental Technician Practice Management/Debtors
Premium, Debit Order and Claims Management
for Short Term Insurance Brokers and Hospital Plan Administrators
Retirement Planning Calc - Download from our web site.

Let Every Matter be Established
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sun, 11 Jan 2004 17:47:56 GMT
 Level:Benign gives Illegal Operation Error
Quote:

> If it is 0 0r Benign THEN big Problem!!!!

You'll need to give the details of the method including prototype. It
likely has nothing to do with the actual return value itself.  If your
using abc class methods be sure you have _abcdllmode_ and _abclinkmode_
set
----------------------------------
Jim Kane
Team SoftVelocity
Productive Software Solutions
Cant find the message?
Get Organized, Get ForKeeps
www.fkeeps.com

Sun, 11 Jan 2004 15:41:28 GMT
 Level:Benign gives Illegal Operation Error

Prototype
(string,*string,*long,<long>,string),Long
Parameters
(TRAType,*ScrVar,*BUMId,UserID,Lookup)
Return Value
LOC:ReturnValue

Code calling this procedure

Init
  !--- Setup the Screen to display the BUMID
  If PTX:BUMID ~= 0
   a#=SelectBNU(PTX:TRAType,lv:Analysis,PTX:BUMID,Glo:UsrID,'N')
  End !if

Capture Variable Accepted Button
    !---Check if What has been captured is Found in the BUM ID
    ThisWindow.Update    ! Update the Buffers from the Screen
    Save# = PTX:BUMID    ! Save Previous Value of BUMID
    PTX:BUMID = 0        ! Reset it for Lookup Purposes
    If SelectBNU(PTX:TRAType,lv:Analysis,PTX:BUMID,Glo:UsrID,'N') ~=
Level:Benign
       Message('This is Not a Valid BUM Code. Please capture a Correct
value or |use the Lookup to Assist you.')
       Select(?)
       Cycle
    End

Event Button Accepted "..."
 !--- Force a Selection of the BNU Codes for the system
 SelectBNU(PTX:TRAType,lv:Analysis,PTX:BUMID,Glo:UsrID,'Y')

Thanks
JVZ

Quote:

>> If it is 0 0r Benign THEN big Problem!!!!

>You'll need to give the details of the method including prototype. It
>likely has nothing to do with the actual return value itself.  If your
>using abc class methods be sure you have _abcdllmode_ and _abclinkmode_
>set
>----------------------------------
>Jim Kane
>Team SoftVelocity
>Productive Software Solutions
>Cant find the message?
>Get Organized, Get ForKeeps
>www.fkeeps.com

Johan van Zyl - Somerset West - South Africa

DenTec2000 - Short Term Insurance Broker Applications - Pastel Dealer
Hospital Plan - Premium, Debit Order and Claims Management
Retirement Planning Calc - Download form our web site.
Using CPD 2.110, CW5EEb ABC
File Manager 2, Wise Installation
Clarion/Pastel Accounting Systems discussion list
to join: http://cwpastel.listbot.com

Clarion/MS SQL Discussion List
to join: http://clarionmssql.listbot.com or http://www.jvz.co.za/mssql

Sun, 11 Jan 2004 21:14:02 GMT
 Level:Benign gives Illegal Operation Error
Johan,
Do you know if the illegal operation is generated for each of the three
different uses you list, or is it just one of them that is causing the
problem??

-Mike

(p.s. Add ,PROC to your prototype to avoid the "calling function as
procedure" compiler error)

Quote:

> Prototype
> (string,*string,*long,<long>,string),Long
> Parameters
> (TRAType,*ScrVar,*BUMId,UserID,Lookup)
> Return Value
> LOC:ReturnValue

> Code calling this procedure

> Init
>   !--- Setup the Screen to display the BUMID
>   If PTX:BUMID ~= 0
>    a#=SelectBNU(PTX:TRAType,lv:Analysis,PTX:BUMID,Glo:UsrID,'N')
>   End !if

> Capture Variable Accepted Button
>     !---Check if What has been captured is Found in the BUM ID
>     ThisWindow.Update    ! Update the Buffers from the Screen
>     Save# = PTX:BUMID    ! Save Previous Value of BUMID
>     PTX:BUMID = 0        ! Reset it for Lookup Purposes
>     If SelectBNU(PTX:TRAType,lv:Analysis,PTX:BUMID,Glo:UsrID,'N') ~=
> Level:Benign
>        Message('This is Not a Valid BUM Code. Please capture a Correct
> value or |use the Lookup to Assist you.')
>        Select(?)
>        Cycle
>     End

> Event Button Accepted "..."
>  !--- Force a Selection of the BNU Codes for the system
>  SelectBNU(PTX:TRAType,lv:Analysis,PTX:BUMID,Glo:UsrID,'Y')

> Thanks
> JVZ

> >> If it is 0 0r Benign THEN big Problem!!!!

> >You'll need to give the details of the method including prototype. It
> >likely has nothing to do with the actual return value itself.  If your
> >using abc class methods be sure you have _abcdllmode_ and _abclinkmode_
> >set
> >----------------------------------
> >Jim Kane
> >Team SoftVelocity
> >Productive Software Solutions
> >Cant find the message?
> >Get Organized, Get ForKeeps
> >www.fkeeps.com

> Johan van Zyl - Somerset West - South Africa

> DenTec2000 - Short Term Insurance Broker Applications - Pastel Dealer
> Hospital Plan - Premium, Debit Order and Claims Management
> Retirement Planning Calc - Download form our web site.
> Using CPD 2.110, CW5EEb ABC
> File Manager 2, Wise Installation
> Clarion/Pastel Accounting Systems discussion list
> to join: http://cwpastel.listbot.com

> Clarion/MS SQL Discussion List
> to join: http://clarionmssql.listbot.com or http://www.jvz.co.za/mssql

Sun, 11 Jan 2004 23:11:15 GMT
 Level:Benign gives Illegal Operation Error
Thanks for your reply and advice - see my comments below

Quote:
>Johan,
>Do you know if the illegal operation is generated for each of the three
>different uses you list, or is it just one of them that is causing the
>problem??

>-Mike

>(p.s. Add ,PROC to your prototype to avoid the "calling function as
>procedure" compiler error)

>> Prototype
>> (string,*string,*long,<long>,string),Long
>> Parameters
>> (TRAType,*ScrVar,*BUMId,UserID,Lookup)
>> Return Value
>> LOC:ReturnValue

>> Code calling this procedure

>> Init
>>   !--- Setup the Screen to display the BUMID
>>   If PTX:BUMID ~= 0
Causes error
>>    a#=SelectBNU(PTX:TRAType,lv:Analysis,PTX:BUMID,Glo:UsrID,'N')
>>   End !if

>> Capture Variable Accepted Button
>>     !---Check if What has been captured is Found in the BUM ID
>>     ThisWindow.Update    ! Update the Buffers from the Screen
>>     Save# = PTX:BUMID    ! Save Previous Value of BUMID
>>     PTX:BUMID = 0        ! Reset it for Lookup Purposes

This one does have a problem if = Benign
Quote:
>>     If SelectBNU(PTX:TRAType,lv:Analysis,PTX:BUMID,Glo:UsrID,'N') ~=
>> Level:Benign
>>        Message('This is Not a Valid BUM Code. Please capture a Correct
>> value or |use the Lookup to Assist you.')
>>        Select(?)
>>        Cycle
>>     End

This one - no problem as it calls a lookuo from where the values are
chosen - even if level benign - no problem

>> Event Button Accepted "..."
>>  !--- Force a Selection of the BNU Codes for the system
>>  SelectBNU(PTX:TRAType,lv:Analysis,PTX:BUMID,Glo:UsrID,'Y')

>> Thanks
>> JVZ

>> >You'll need to give the details of the method including prototype. It
>> >likely has nothing to do with the actual return value itself.  If your
>> >using abc class methods be sure you have _abcdllmode_ and _abclinkmode_
>> >set
>> >----------------------------------
>> >Jim Kane
>> >Team SoftVelocity
>> >Productive Software Solutions
>> >Cant find the message?
>> >Get Organized, Get ForKeeps
>> >www.fkeeps.com

>> Johan van Zyl - Somerset West - South Africa

>> DenTec2000 - Short Term Insurance Broker Applications - Pastel Dealer
>> Hospital Plan - Premium, Debit Order and Claims Management
>> Retirement Planning Calc - Download form our web site.
>> Using CPD 2.110, CW5EEb ABC
>> File Manager 2, Wise Installation
>> Clarion/Pastel Accounting Systems discussion list
>> to join: http://cwpastel.listbot.com

>> Clarion/MS SQL Discussion List
>> to join: http://clarionmssql.listbot.com or http://www.jvz.co.za/mssql

Johan van Zyl - Somerset West - South Africa

DenTec2000 - Short Term Insurance Broker Applications - Pastel Dealer
Hospital Plan - Premium, Debit Order and Claims Management
Retirement Planning Calc - Download form our web site.
Using CPD 2.110, CW5EEb ABC
File Manager 2, Wise Installation
Clarion/Pastel Accounting Systems discussion list
to join: http://cwpastel.listbot.com

Clarion/MS SQL Discussion List
to join: http://clarionmssql.listbot.com or http://www.jvz.co.za/mssql

Mon, 12 Jan 2004 03:50:36 GMT
 Level:Benign gives Illegal Operation Error

Quote:

> If PTX:BUMID ~= 0
>    a#=SelectBNU(PTX:TRAType,lv:Analysis,PTX:BUMID,Glo:UsrID,'N')
>   End !if

if ptx is a file and the file is not open yet, that may be the problem.
Also in your parameter list, it is unusual to have have *something as a
prameter name.
----------------------------------
Jim Kane
Team SoftVelocity
Productive Software Solutions
Cant find the message?
Get Organized, Get ForKeeps
www.fkeeps.com

Mon, 12 Jan 2004 03:08:42 GMT
 Level:Benign gives Illegal Operation Error
Hi
I have a procedure to test this procedure/function
I call it with
LOC:ReturnValue=SelectBNU(LOC:TraType,LOC:ScrVar,LOC:BumID,LOC:USRId,LOC:Lookup)
display

And here is the code in the function
IF Lookup <>'Y'
          If BUMId<>0
             BUM:BUMID=BUMId
             if Access:BUM.Fetch(BUM:Key:BUMID_PK)!<> LEVEL:Benign
                  !message('LOC:ReturnValue=level:notify')
                  LOC:ReturnValue=level:notify
                  return(LOC:ReturnValue)
             else

ScrVar=clip(BUM:Level1)&'/'&clip(BUM:Level2)&'/'&clip(BUM:Level3)&clip(BUM:Level4)&'/'&clip(BUM:Level5)&'/'&clip(BUM:Level6)|

&clip(BUM:Level7)&'/'&clip(BUM:Level8)&'/'&clip(BUM:Level9)&clip(BUM:Level10)
                  Do PrettyUp
                  LOC:ReturnValue=Level:Benign
                  !message('LOC:ReturnValue=
'&LOC:ReturnValue&'|'&LOC:ReturnLevels)
                  Return(LOC:ReturnValue)
             end
          end

          If clip(ScrVar)<>''
              Do ParseScrVarIn
              If sub(ScrVar,len(clip(ScrVar)),1)='/'
                     ScrVar=ScrVar[1 : (len(clip(ScrVar))-1)]
              end
              !message('After ParseScrVarIn')
              IF Access:BUM.Fetch(BUM:Key:Level1_10)!<> LEVEL:Benign
                  !message('LOC:ReturnValue=level:notify')
                  LOC:ReturnValue=level:notify
                  return(LOC:ReturnValue)
              else
                  !message('LOC:ReturnValue=level:benign')
                  BumID=BUM:BUMID
                  !message(ScrVar&' After Routine')
                  !message(BumID&' '&clip(BUM:Level1)&'
'&clip(BUM:Level2)&' '&clip(BUM:Level3))
                  LOC:ReturnValue=Level:Benign
                  Return(LOC:ReturnValue)
              end
          end
      end

Only  causes error if level:benign or if LOC:ReturnValue=0
Thanks for all you responses
JVZ

Quote:

>> If PTX:BUMID ~= 0
>>    a#=SelectBNU(PTX:TRAType,lv:Analysis,PTX:BUMID,Glo:UsrID,'N')
>>   End !if

>if ptx is a file and the file is not open yet, that may be the problem.
>Also in your parameter list, it is unusual to have have *something as a
>prameter name.
>----------------------------------
>Jim Kane
>Team SoftVelocity
>Productive Software Solutions
>Cant find the message?
>Get Organized, Get ForKeeps
>www.fkeeps.com

Johan van Zyl - Somerset West - South Africa

DenTec2000 - Short Term Insurance Broker Applications - Pastel Dealer
Hospital Plan - Premium, Debit Order and Claims Management
Retirement Planning Calc - Download form our web site.
Using CPD 2.110, CW5EEb ABC
File Manager 2, Wise Installation
Clarion/Pastel Accounting Systems discussion list
to join: http://cwpastel.listbot.com

Clarion/MS SQL Discussion List
to join: http://clarionmssql.listbot.com or http://www.jvz.co.za/mssql

Mon, 12 Jan 2004 13:18:54 GMT
 Level:Benign gives Illegal Operation Error
Johan,

Ok, From the number of !message( statements I assume the gpf is not
occurring until the actual return() statement.  I also assume that the gpf
is occurring regardless of weather BumID is 0 or <>0 (i.e. both lookup
blocks).  But I still think that there is something else going on. Please
test the following:

 1. If change all of the Level:Benign references to Level:Notify do you
still GPF?

 2. Change the return value in the prototype from Long to Byte (and the
declaration of LOC:ReturnValue to match)

 3. If BumID is 0, move ScrVar into a local string so the ParseScrVarIn
routine isn't working against the variable passed by reference.

-Mike

Mon, 12 Jan 2004 22:15:17 GMT
 Level:Benign gives Illegal Operation Error
Thanks for your responses - see my comments in between.

Quote:
>Johan,

>Ok, From the number of !message( statements I assume the gpf is not
>occurring until the actual return() statement.  I also assume that the gpf
>is occurring regardless of weather BumID is 0 or <>0 (i.e. both lookup
>blocks).

It does not iccur when I pass a BumID that does not exist in BUM File
or when BUMId=0 an dthe ScrVar does not exist in the BUM File i.e.
when it returns level:notify it does not give an error.
It only gives an error when BUMID <>0 but contains a value that exists
in BUM File AND also when BUMID =0 and ScrVar contains a value that
exists in BUM file i.e. when level:benign (or LOC:ReturnValue=0) it
giv ethe error.
Quote:
> But I still think that there is something else going on. Please
>test the following:

> 1. If change all of the Level:Benign references to Level:Notify do you
>still GPF?
NO

> 2. Change the return value in the prototype from Long to Byte (and the
>declaration of LOC:ReturnValue to match)

Did that - still Illegal Operation
Quote:
> 3. If BumID is 0, move ScrVar into a local string so the ParseScrVarIn
>routine isn't working against the variable passed by reference.

Here is what the routine does - do you think it can have an influence?
ParseScrVarIn ROUTINE
      !message('ParseScrVarIn ROUTINE')
      If sub(ScrVar,len(clip(ScrVar)),1)<>'/'
        ScrVar=Clip(ScrVar)&'/'
      end
      Clear(LOC:FL[])
      LOC:Count=0
      LOC:SS=1
      loop i#=1 to len(clip(ScrVar))
          If Sub(ScrVar,i#,1)='/'
              LOC:Count+=1
              LOC:FL[LOC:Count]=ScrVar[LOC:SS : i#-1]
              LOC:SS=i#+1
              LOC:Fl[LOC:count]=left(LOC:Fl[LOC:count])
          end
      end
      !Message(ScrVar&' In Routine')
      BUM:Level1=LOC:FL[1]
      BUM:Level2=LOC:FL[2]
      BUM:Level3=LOC:FL[3]
      BUM:Level4=LOC:FL[4]
      BUM:Level5=LOC:FL[5]
      BUM:Level6=LOC:FL[6]
      BUM:Level7=LOC:FL[7]
      BUM:Level8=LOC:FL[8]
      BUM:Level9=LOC:FL[9]
      BUM:Level10=LOC:FL[10]

Quote:
>-Mike

Johan van Zyl - Somerset West - South Africa

DenTec2000 - Short Term Insurance Broker Applications - Pastel Dealer
Hospital Plan - Premium, Debit Order and Claims Management
Retirement Planning Calc - Download form our web site.
Using CPD 2.110, CW5EEb ABC
File Manager 2, Wise Installation
Clarion/Pastel Accounting Systems discussion list
to join: http://cwpastel.listbot.com

Clarion/MS SQL Discussion List
to join: http://clarionmssql.listbot.com or http://www.jvz.co.za/mssql

Tue, 13 Jan 2004 00:14:54 GMT
 Level:Benign gives Illegal Operation Error
Hi Johan,

Quote:

>Prototype
>(string,*string,*long,<long>,string),Long
>Parameters
>(TRAType,*ScrVar,*BUMId,UserID,Lookup)

Try to change this to:

Prototype: (String TRAType, *String ScrVar, *Long BUMId, <Long
UserID>, String Lookup),LONG

Parameters: (String TRAType, *String ScrVar, *Long BUMId, <Long
UserID>, String Lookup) !!,LONG

I think it may be having problems with the parameter list.

Best regards,

Arnr Baldvinsson
San Antonio, Texas, USA
www.icetips.com & www.candobidding.com

ICQ:  113314380

Tue, 13 Jan 2004 01:25:26 GMT
 Level:Benign gives Illegal Operation Error
Johan,
I was initialy thinking that the error was the result of manipulating the
variables that are being passed by reference, and that it wasn't the return
value of 0 itself, but a block of code that ran when you were going to be
returning 0.  But since the same code can run and not gpf if you don't
return 0 I am obveously wrong.
My next step if I were you, would be to strip back the function to the
following:

   If BUMId<>0
      BUM:BUMID=BUMId
      if Access:BUM.Fetch(BUM:Key:BUMID_PK)!<> LEVEL:Benign
           LOC:ReturnValue=level:notify
           return(LOC:ReturnValue)
      else
           LOC:ReturnValue=Level:Benign
           Return(LOC:ReturnValue)
      end
   end
   If clip(ScrVar)<>''
       LOC:ReturnValue=Level:Benign
       Return(LOC:ReturnValue)
   else
       LOC:ReturnValue=level:notify
       return(LOC:ReturnValue)
   end

If this doesn't run, at least you have a clean example to post to the Bugs
news group.  If this does run start adding code back in until it breaks
again.

As a last thought you may want to try removing the () from the returns
(ie "Return LOC:ReturnValue" instead of "Return(LOC:ReturnValue)" )

Good Luck
-Mike

Quote:
> [...]

>           end
>       end
>       !Message(ScrVar&' In Routine')
>       BUM:Level1=LOC:FL[1]
>       BUM:Level2=LOC:FL[2]
>       BUM:Level3=LOC:FL[3]
>       BUM:Level4=LOC:FL[4]
>       BUM:Level5=LOC:FL[5]
>       BUM:Level6=LOC:FL[6]
>       BUM:Level7=LOC:FL[7]
>       BUM:Level8=LOC:FL[8]
>       BUM:Level9=LOC:FL[9]
>       BUM:Level10=LOC:FL[10]

> >-Mike

> Johan van Zyl - Somerset West - South Africa

> DenTec2000 - Short Term Insurance Broker Applications - Pastel Dealer
> Hospital Plan - Premium, Debit Order and Claims Management
> Retirement Planning Calc - Download form our web site.
> Using CPD 2.110, CW5EEb ABC
> File Manager 2, Wise Installation
> Clarion/Pastel Accounting Systems discussion list

Tue, 13 Jan 2004 02:46:06 GMT
 Level:Benign gives Illegal Operation Error
Arnor,

Quote:
> Prototype: (String TRAType, *String ScrVar, *Long BUMId, <Long
> UserID>, String Lookup),LONG

I like to use the second form of ommitable parameters:
instead of <Long UserID> you type: Long UserID=0
Now you don't have to use Omitted(4) to test if the
parameter is passed (which can be a pain in ABC)
but directly code: IF UserID .......
since it's always initialised, passed or not.

--

Best regards,
Maarten

Tue, 13 Jan 2004 03:00:17 GMT
 Level:Benign gives Illegal Operation Error
Hi All
Thanks for your responses - I have just been installing Win 2000 for
the first time, then I downloaded the NG messages, but it is getting
to midnight, now I am going to bed, will test all of this tomorow.
Thanks again
JVZ

Quote:
>Hi All
>In a procedure/function when Level:Benign (or = 0 ) is returned it causes
>Illegal Operation Error.
>Level:Notify and Fatal - NO Problem
>If Something
>    LOC:ReturnValue=Level:Notify
>else
>    LOC:ReturnValue=Level:Benign
>end
>Return(Loc:ReturnValue)
>If it is 0 0r Benign THEN big Problem!!!!
>How do I solve this?
>Thanks
>---
>Johan van Zyl
>JVZ Systems CC - Reg No CK1990/006660/23
>PO Box 3469 Somerset West 7129
>Tel (021) 851 7205 Fax (021) 851 4204
>Cell 082 875 4238
>Customised Software and Support - Created in Clarion
>RDBMS using MS SQL
>DenTec2000 - Dental Technician Practice Management/Debtors
>Premium, Debit Order and Claims Management
>for Short Term Insurance Brokers and Hospital Plan Administrators
>Retirement Planning Calc - Download from our web site.

>Let Every Matter be Established
>http://www.truthorfiction.com

Johan van Zyl - Somerset West - South Africa

DenTec2000 - Short Term Insurance Broker Applications - Pastel Dealer
Hospital Plan - Premium, Debit Order and Claims Management
Retirement Planning Calc - Download form our web site.
Using CPD 2.110, CW5EEb ABC
File Manager 2, Wise Installation
Clarion/Pastel Accounting Systems discussion list
to join: http://cwpastel.listbot.com

Clarion/MS SQL Discussion List
to join: http://clarionmssql.listbot.com or http://www.jvz.co.za/mssql

Tue, 13 Jan 2004 05:36:16 GMT
 Level:Benign gives Illegal Operation Error
Hi Maarten,

Quote:
>I like to use the second form of ommitable parameters:
>instead of <Long UserID> you type: Long UserID=0
>Now you don't have to use Omitted(4) to test if the
>parameter is passed (which can be a pain in ABC)
>but directly code: IF UserID .......
>since it's always initialised, passed or not.

Good point!  I rarely use omittable parameters (it has just worked out
that way for me, used them a few times, but it's rare) so I tend to
forget.  As a sidenote you can use this in API prototyping to set
default values for parameters you need, but almost always pass a
certain value to.

Best regards,

Arnr Baldvinsson
San Antonio, Texas, USA
www.icetips.com & www.candobidding.com

ICQ:  113314380

Tue, 13 Jan 2004 07:14:48 GMT
 Level:Benign gives Illegal Operation Error

Quote:

> ScrVar=ScrVar[1 : (len(clip(ScrVar))-1)]

bad indexes on string slicing causes gpf. I'd verify
len(clip(scrvar))>2 before calling that.
----------------------------------
Jim Kane
Team SoftVelocity
Productive Software Solutions
Cant find the message?
Get Organized, Get ForKeeps
www.fkeeps.com

Tue, 13 Jan 2004 04:10:05 GMT

1. Debug gives an "illegal operation"

2. C5PE Tab Control generates Illegal Operation Error

3. CFD 3102 : Processor Violation Error - (Illegal operation by a program in Mem)

4. Win 95/98 illegal operation errors

5. illegal operation: error message is labview caused page fault in labview.exe at 015f:008ad23a

6. illegal operation error

7. "Illegal operation" error on windows

8. C5.5b2 can't get level:benign in a process

9. Illegal Operation

10. Illegal Operation - Bad Pointer

11. Illegal Operation in Explorer.exe

12. Illegal operation when accessing ODBC CW4