OFF TOPIC - Hipaa requirements specifically relating to New York Medicaid
Author Message
 OFF TOPIC - Hipaa requirements specifically relating to New York Medicaid

Hi all,

Anyone else updating their software for Hipaa requirements specifically
relating to New York Medicaid?
I wanna compare notes as we get closer to the Oct 16 deadline.

Thanks

Take Care

Peter Rabolt
Synchronized Systems

Fri, 11 Nov 2005 00:34:08 GMT
 OFF TOPIC - Hipaa requirements specifically relating to New York Medicaid
Peter;

Here's one thing that I noticed, auditing one of my client's software: they
have a single screen where passwords and user id's are entered. Each user id
and password is maintained in a browse/form kind of like Clarion (the base
code is Access though). So when I went to set up security for their office,
I had all of the girls (nine of them) give me the password they preferred
... at least 8 charactes with at least one number and one special character
it it. It hadn't been 30 minutes and everyone knew everyone else's password.
This isn't security! Better to click on a check box to enable security, then
have one individual assign the user id's with a generic password. Then have
the individual users update their own passwords (with a re-enter prompt, of
course). You could code a nag screen or something to make the individual
users do it. Also, the management of passwords should be codified in the
office policies and procedures manual. Also, make sure that you don't
personally ever have to view a customer's data, or you'll have to sign one
of those non-disclosure type contracts.

Just some quick thoughts from, in this case, a net admin's perspective.

Greg Scales

Quote:
> Hi all,

> Anyone else updating their software for Hipaa requirements specifically
> relating to New York Medicaid?
> I wanna compare notes as we get closer to the Oct 16 deadline.

> Thanks

> Take Care

> Peter Rabolt
> Synchronized Systems

Fri, 11 Nov 2005 04:16:34 GMT

1. Meta: Shibboleth (was: RE: Off Topic, But List Related)

2. Off Topic, But List Related -- Tired of Getting Spammed Via

3. how create .LIB (off-topic but FORTRAN-related)

4. Off-topic: Solaris related - stdin buffering...

5. New York New York Smalltalk (Job)

6. HIPAA Security Requirements

7. OFF TOPIC: New ATT service agreement

8. Off Topic: Nice New Real Time System

9. New Toys (slightly off topic)

10. 6-9 Mainframe Programmers w/MEDICAID Exp Needed, New Jersey

11. US - New York City - Smalltalk Developers - 3 Major New Projects

12. Consulting Opportunities New York, New Jersey