Crystal Reports Builtin support for Topspeed???
Author Message
 Crystal Reports Builtin support for Topspeed???

Last years Devcon, it was mentioned that Crystal Reports would be a
possibility in the future.  Instead of the terrible built in report
writer.

What happened to this.  It has been a year and another devcon yet no
mention of this.

Thanks

Chris Christenson

Chris Christenson

Mon, 15 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Crystal Reports Builtin support for Topspeed???
My 2c regarding Crystal vs TS reports:
I have used the terrible ts report writer and the Crystal Report Writer.
They are 2 different products altogether and cannot be compared. You do not
have the fantastic versatility, for example, embed points in Crystal.
Crystal is wonderful support for drilldowns and rapid report development
with totals and subtotals though. But you need a decent database design
behind the scenes to make sure that the queries are efficient - ie lots of
indexes etc...I was recently on a combined CW/VB5 project where both tools
were used, and despite having done the Crystal course and gained relatively
strong familiarity with the IDE, I found myself using theCW report writer
more often.

--
Best regards
James Cooke

Mon, 15 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Crystal Reports Builtin support for Topspeed???
James:
The separate report product is terrible and should be canned. That product
should be replaced with CR in my opinion. As for the internal report
generator, I hope it is never removed. I have several instances where as far
as I'm concerned the only way to do the report is with the report inside the
app, I.E when an update has to happen when the report is generated.

Mick

Quote:

>My 2c regarding Crystal vs TS reports:
>I have used the terrible ts report writer and the Crystal Report Writer.
>They are 2 different products altogether and cannot be compared. You do not
>have the fantastic versatility, for example, embed points in Crystal.
>Crystal is wonderful support for drilldowns and rapid report development
>with totals and subtotals though. But you need a decent database design
>behind the scenes to make sure that the queries are efficient - ie lots of
>indexes etc...I was recently on a combined CW/VB5 project where both tools
>were used, and despite having done the Crystal course and gained relatively
>strong familiarity with the IDE, I found myself using theCW report writer
>more often.

>--
>Best regards
>James Cooke
>Certified Clarion Developer

Mon, 15 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Crystal Reports Builtin support for Topspeed???
Michael,
I agree absolutely. I must say I have only used the external report writer
once, and find the internal report writer fine for me... I really do not
think the internal report writer is terrible at all - just using the phrase
from the start of this thread. <g> Nice to hear someone say something nice
about the internal report writer for a change!
--
Best Regards
James Cooke
Certified Clarion Developer

Tue, 16 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Crystal Reports Builtin support for Topspeed???
Ditto from me that hte Internal ReportWriter has saved me from more than 1 bad
situation by the ability to embed some odd code in it.

Could it use some more features?  yes.  But, then again, so could most any
software you happen to mention.

        Tim

Quote:

> Michael,
> I agree absolutely. I must say I have only used the external report writer
> once, and find the internal report writer fine for me... I really do not
> think the internal report writer is terrible at all - just using the phrase
> from the start of this thread. <g> Nice to hear someone say something nice
> about the internal report writer for a change!
> --
> Best Regards
> James Cooke
> Certified Clarion Developer

--
Tim Phillips
Vermont Agency of Natural Resources

Tue, 16 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Crystal Reports Builtin support for Topspeed???
The only time I use the external report writer is for things like a quick
dirty report to check some data in a database. The internal report writer
has to be fooled a lot at times to get some complicated report done, but it
does work and you have control over the report. I recently had to duplicate
a report from another developer that had been done in a DOS version of
Clarion. The report had multiple headers, details, etc. and it was about 12+
pages long with different data from different files on each page, and
sometimes data from the same record separated by several pages of different
data from different records. Phew! I fought that one for some time to figure
out a method to get the job done. I had to take one of the report previews
on Icetips and some snippets of code, and some info from messages, and came
up with a solution. I saved multiple reports in my own print queue and then
called it in the end. Now there is no way this report could even be done
with the external report writer, and I personally do not believe it could be
reengineered to do it.

Crystal Reports, does have the function to do subreports, but having some
experience with it, I'm not sure it could handle the internal data
manipulation to get it done. I for one wouldn't want to try. The internal
reports are a {*filter*} to learn. I am still  not exactly sure I understand
fully how Paper size, Header location, both Page and Group, and details
exactly get printed and where? I invariable have to just{*filter*}with it until
I get it right. But I don't think it is replaceable, especially if you have
to try and match a DOS app where you had ultimate control over print
location!

Mick

Quote:

>Michael,
>I agree absolutely. I must say I have only used the external report writer
>once, and find the internal report writer fine for me... I really do not
>think the internal report writer is terrible at all - just using the phrase
>from the start of this thread. <g> Nice to hear someone say something nice
>about the internal report writer for a change!
>--
>Best Regards
>James Cooke
>Certified Clarion Developer

Tue, 16 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Crystal Reports Builtin support for Topspeed???
Hi, James!

My "terrible" reference was unclear--I was referring to the external report
writer.  The internal report writer is quite flexible and powerful, but is
(obviously) not available to end users or even my own non-programmer support
staff.  It's great, as far as it goes, i.e. letting programmers do precise,
fixed reports.

Since you've only used the external report writer once, I imagine it has not
met your expectations of a what a report writer should be! <g>  What
TopSpeed ought to do (IMHO) is give us an external report writer that at
least non-programmers (if not end users) can use to build powerful, flexible
reports.

The biggest problem with the external report writer (in CW2003) is the way
it uses system resources and doesn't give 'em back, until you reboot your
PC.  Happens on Win95, Win98, and I have even suspected it on NT Server.
I've tried to make everyone here at KVE understand that it's not to be used
on a server, where rebooting is an involved process (getting users logged
out, etc.).

Jim Johnson

|Michael,
|I agree absolutely. I must say I have only used the external report writer
|once, and find the internal report writer fine for me... I really do not
|think the internal report writer is terrible at all - just using the phrase
|from the start of this thread. <g> Nice to hear someone say something nice
|about the internal report writer for a change!
|--
|Best Regards
|James Cooke
|Certified Clarion Developer

Tue, 16 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Crystal Reports Builtin support for Topspeed???

Quote:
> The only time I use the external report writer is for things like a quick
> dirty report to check some data in a database. The internal report writer
> has to be fooled a lot at times to get some complicated report done, but
it
> does work and you have control over the report. I recently had to
duplicate
> a report from another developer that had been done in a DOS version of
> Clarion. The report had multiple headers, details, etc. and it was about
12+
> pages long with different data from different files on each page, and
> sometimes data from the same record separated by several pages of
different
> data from different records. Phew! I fought that one for some time to
figure
> out a method to get the job done. I had to take one of the report previews
> on Icetips and some snippets of code, and some info from messages, and
came
> up with a solution. I saved multiple reports in my own print queue and
then
> called it in the end. Now there is no way this report could even be done
> with the external report writer, and I personally do not believe it could
be
> reengineered to do it.

Of course it can be re-engineered easily/faster with Crystal.

multiple headers/details:   Just define new headers, and set IF conditions;
different data on each page:  break into subreports that are called
conditionally, a good child-parent relation makes this even easier;

Quote:
> Crystal Reports, does have the function to do subreports, but having some
> experience with it, I'm not sure it could handle the internal data
> manipulation to get it done.

Internal data mainipulation is possible/not too complicated if you know how
to use the functions of Crystal. In fact it is a lot easier than in CW. The
key is designing your db properly.

Regards,
Ayo.

Tue, 16 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Crystal Reports API for Topspeed ODBC + Crystal / Topseed Template

2. Crystal Reports API for Topspeed ODBC + Crystal / Topseed Template

3. Topspeed ODBC & Crystal Reports Time fields

4. Crystal Reports API for Topspeed ODBC

5. Crystal Reports w/ Topspeed ODBC driver

6. Crystal Reports 9 - Not supported in Clarion 5.5?

7. Report Writer, Crystal Reports

8. Crystal Reports VBX - Cannot read report

9. Crystal Reports or other Report Writer

10. Crystal Reports and CW: Changing Report Title

11. R&R Report Writer vs Crystal Reports