More Newbie Questions
Author Message
 More Newbie Questions

Ok, I've been through the tutorials and I'm ready to dive into my first app.
I'm going to be creating a piece of software that I will be marketing.
Since lots of people here have already done this I'm sure, I'm looking for
some advice.

What is the best way to package the final product for distribution.  What
install tool works best from your experience?  My final product will be only
one executable and an empty database, probably using the TopSpeed drivers.

Also, what is the best way to prevent pirated copies of the software.  I
know there is no foolproof way, but any advice would be welcome.  I think I
saw a couple of third party products on the Soft Velocity site.

Thanks in advance.

Tom Ferguson

Mon, 22 Mar 2004 23:51:40 GMT
 More Newbie Questions
Hi Tom,

You should have received Lindersoft's scaled-down version of SetupBuilder
with your Clarion installation.  It's a great app.  If you have any
questions about it, you can check the SetupBuilder NG
(softvelocity.products.c55ee.setupbuilder) or at LinderSoft's website
(www.lindersoft.com).

As for piracy, that's a big question!  I've heard good things about Gitano's
G-RegPlus.  (http://www.gitanosoftware.com/g-reg/)

HTH, and welcome to the Clarion Collective!  <g>

[L]

Tue, 23 Mar 2004 00:07:38 GMT
 More Newbie Questions
Hi Tom,

Pay www.accpro.com.sg/clarion a visit.  Most of the available links should
be there.

Thanks.

Kelvin Chua
SINGAPORE

Quote:
> Ok, I've been through the tutorials and I'm ready to dive into my first
app.
> I'm going to be creating a piece of software that I will be marketing.
> Since lots of people here have already done this I'm sure, I'm looking for
> some advice.

> What is the best way to package the final product for distribution.  What
> install tool works best from your experience?  My final product will be
only
> one executable and an empty database, probably using the TopSpeed drivers.

> Also, what is the best way to prevent pirated copies of the software.  I
> know there is no foolproof way, but any advice would be welcome.  I think
> saw a couple of third party products on the Soft Velocity site.

> Thanks in advance.

> Tom Ferguson

Tue, 23 Mar 2004 15:17:48 GMT
 More Newbie Questions
AFAIK you have to buy a copy of SetupBuilder from SoftVelocity or
LinderSoftware...
I wonder if your Clarion CD has SetupBuilder, cause mine doesnt.
Regards

Ricardo Lopez Celani

Quote:
> Hi Tom,

> You should have received Lindersoft's scaled-down version of SetupBuilder
> with your Clarion installation.  It's a great app.  If you have any
> questions about it, you can check the SetupBuilder NG
> (softvelocity.products.c55ee.setupbuilder) or at LinderSoft's website
> (www.lindersoft.com).

> As for piracy, that's a big question!  I've heard good things about
Gitano's
> G-RegPlus.  (http://www.gitanosoftware.com/g-reg/)

> HTH, and welcome to the Clarion Collective!  <g>

> [L]

Tue, 23 Mar 2004 00:31:48 GMT
 More Newbie Questions

Quote:
> What is the best way to package the final product for distribution.  What
> install tool works best from your experience?  My final product will be only
> one executable and an empty database, probably using the TopSpeed drivers.

Product Description - SetupBuilder (Standard Edition),
MFG - Linder Software
Internet Link - http://www.lindersoftware.com/lspsfx10.htm

Tom, This seems to be VERY popular among Clarion developers. And you can
Crossgrade SetupBuilder for Clarion if you desire as well. If you would
like to see the feature difference between SetupBuilder for Clarion and
SetupBuilder (Standard Edition), a table is available at the following
http://www.lindersoftware.com/sb4clarion.htm

Quote:
> Also, what is the best way to prevent pirated copies of the software.  I
> know there is no foolproof way, but any advice would be welcome.  I think I
> saw a couple of third party products on the Soft Velocity site.

The following products are listed in the Clarion Third Party Profile
Exchange as Security - Registration/Demos.

For my company, I use G-Reg Plus and can HIGHLY recommend it. It not
only provides code for registration and demo modes, but has quite a
variety of very useful functions in addition to the template. This can
be found at:
http://www.gitanosoftware.com/g-reg/faq.htm

Product Description - DAS Registration, MFG - Tinman Development Corp.
Internet Link - http://www.thetingroup.com/dreg.html

Product Description - G-Reg Plus, MFG - Gitano Software
Internet Link - http://www.gitanosoftware.com/g-reg/

Product Description - RInstaller, MFG - Riebens Systems
Internet Link - http://www.riebens.co.za/prodinstall.htm

Product Description - Super PassCode, MFG - Boxsoft Development
Internet Link - http://www.boxsoftdevelopment.com/

David
--
From David Troxell - Product Scope 32 PRO - Encourager Software

Clarion Third Party Profile Exchange Online
http://encouragersoftware.com/profile/clarlinks.html
http://www.encouragersoftware.com/

Tue, 23 Mar 2004 01:02:20 GMT
 More Newbie Questions
Hello Ricardo,

I've been using C55 since the early beta days.  Initially, a Wise installer
program was included, but was dropped when C55 Gold was released.  A few
weeks later, registered users were entitled to download a free "light"
version of SetupBuilder.  So technically, no, it's not on my Gold CD, but I
did receive the "light" version without additional charge.

Best check with sales at Softvelocity if you have any questions about this.

[L]

Tue, 23 Mar 2004 01:12:37 GMT
 More Newbie Questions
Thanks Leroy for your quick response.
Is your Clarion 5.5 an upgrade to C5EE ?
Ive been using C5.5 since Beta1 on January 2000 and only received an email
from Tania Anderson at SoftVelocity telling that my C5.5 is an upgrade to
C5EE
so I must buy a separate copy of SetupBuilder...
Thanks again.
Regards.

Ricardo Lopez Celani

Quote:
> Hello Ricardo,

> I've been using C55 since the early beta days.  Initially, a Wise
installer
> program was included, but was dropped when C55 Gold was released.  A few
> weeks later, registered users were entitled to download a free "light"
> version of SetupBuilder.  So technically, no, it's not on my Gold CD, but
> did receive the "light" version without additional charge.

> Best check with sales at Softvelocity if you have any questions about
this.

> [L]

Tue, 23 Mar 2004 02:54:26 GMT
 More Newbie Questions
Hi Ricardo,

I went from Clarion 4 to C55 Beta 1, if I remember right.  Perhaps that was
the difference.  I remember that when Wise was dropped from the Gold
release, a Clarion-based installer was promised, and a few weeks later,
delivered.

HTH,
[L]

P.S.  What part of Argentina are you in?  I've got family in BA, Entre Rios,
Missiones, etc.  Hopefully I'm heading down that way for Christmas -- and to
get away from the cold here in Canada for a while!

Tue, 23 Mar 2004 03:55:15 GMT
 More Newbie Questions

Quote:
> Hi Ricardo,

> I went from Clarion 4 to C55 Beta 1, if I remember right.  Perhaps that
was
> the difference.  I remember that when Wise was dropped from the Gold
> release, a Clarion-based installer was promised, and a few weeks later,
> delivered.

Ricardo is correct.  Those of us that stayed the course, didn't skip any
releases, etc. were made to pay for SetupBuilder.  Just another thank you
from SV for our continuing support. :0

I sent sales an e-mail as requested inquiring about  *paying*  for my copy
of SB and they never bothered to reply.

Rick Smith

Tue, 23 Mar 2004 22:44:23 GMT
 More Newbie Questions
Probably stands to reason:  chances are I paid a *lot* more for my C55
upgrade than you did for yours.  Still, you'd think the cost of another
SetupBuilder license is easily offset by maintaining the goodwill of loyal
customers, wouldn't you?

[L]

Wed, 24 Mar 2004 02:01:59 GMT
 More Newbie Questions
On re-reading my last message, I realize the grammatical structure was all
wonky, but you know what I mean.  <g>

[L]

Wed, 24 Mar 2004 02:03:22 GMT
 More Newbie Questions
I can't stand it anymore <g>.  Look at it from SV's and Linder's viewpoint.
They are both entering into a partnership.  The{*filter*} question is "What
about existing customers?".  Does SV eat the cost?  Does Linder?  Perhaps
the customer should pay through the nose?

Answer:  None of the above as it is not fair for any of them.  I do not have
the exact specifics (just using some plain old logic here), but I think what
was decided was that all 3 would eat a little of the costs (which proved how
bad Wise for Clarion really is).

SV and Linder should have killed the deal if it meant it they needed to fork
over cash or forget about any revenue to enter into it.  And I have no doubt
they would have if this were that case.

SV and Linder got a deal each could live with (obviously).  And Clarion
customers got an *excellent* product with superb support and timely updates
for very little money.

I'd say it was a win-win-win situation for all concerned.  It most certainly
was not a "Just another thank you from SV for our continuing support."  I
think they did quite well looking after your interests.

--
Russ
"My spell checker makes it read more better"

Probably stands to reason:  chances are I paid a *lot* more for my C55
upgrade than you did for yours.  Still, you'd think the cost of another
SetupBuilder license is easily offset by maintaining the goodwill of loyal
customers, wouldn't you?

[L]

Wed, 24 Mar 2004 02:17:25 GMT
 More Newbie Questions
Hi Rus,

I wasn't griping, just wondering outloud why everyone who has C55 wouldn't
have exactly the same suite of products.  Fortunately, this issue doesn't
affect me.  I have SetupBuilder and agree that it is a fantastic product.

Enough.  <g>

[L]

Wed, 24 Mar 2004 02:48:05 GMT
 More Newbie Questions
OK <g>.

--
Russ
"My spell checker makes it read more better"

Enough.  <g>

[L]

Wed, 24 Mar 2004 03:14:41 GMT
 More Newbie Questions
Rus,

Would you PLEASE change your tagline?!  It gets funnier each time time I
read it.  I still laugh outloud, and my client's employees are starting to
wonder... <g>

[L]

Wed, 24 Mar 2004 03:21:55 GMT

 [ 20 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

2. Not a newbie, but a newbie question...

3. Trivial Newbie Question (Newbie)

4. Newbie Question: Realbasic Question

5. Yet another question on system calls(newbie question)

6. A few more newbie questions..

7. Newbie question about worth of specializing in Smalltalk

8. Very Newbie questions

9. Newbie question

10. newbie questionS

11. Another Newbie Question