Printing to a Pre-Printed Form
Author Message
 Printing to a Pre-Printed Form

Hi All!

I've got a report that I'm printing to a pre-printed form (insurance form).
Everything lines up just great here at the office, but the print is all over
the place at the client sites.  More correctly, the row positioning is the
same for everybody, but the columnar positioning is all over the map.  I've
also noticed that some of the sites are printing with a different font than
what I've defined for the report!  How do you get the report to print the
same for everyone no matter what their print setup?  I need those data
elements to print so that they fill in the correct boxes on the form all the
time.  Any help, including 3rd party tool suggestions, is greatly
appreciated.  I am using C4 legacy.  Thanks!

Craig

Sun, 08 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Printing to a Pre-Printed Form
I use Visio to make the form, export as a WMF and place on the Report "Form"
band. Then align to this form. The user can then just print on plain paper.

You could also scan the form if you do not have to have 100% to scale.

--
 Kevin

***
 Name    : Kevin B. Erskine, Owner, TopSpeed Certified Clarion Professional

 ICQ     : 10761812 [ http://www.icq.com/ ] v99a-beta
 WebSite : http://www.Software-By-Ragazzi.com
 Phone # : 415-331-6003 (Pacific Standard Time)
 Location: Beautiful Sausalito, California, USA

***
 "Begin a new era of productivity..."? '96-99 Software By Ragazzi(tm)

***

Quote:
> Hi All!

> I've got a report that I'm printing to a pre-printed form (insurance
form).
> Everything lines up just great here at the office, but the print is all
over
> the place at the client sites.  More correctly, the row positioning is the
> same for everybody, but the columnar positioning is all over the map.
I've
> also noticed that some of the sites are printing with a different font
than
> what I've defined for the report!  How do you get the report to print the
> same for everyone no matter what their print setup?  I need those data
> elements to print so that they fill in the correct boxes on the form all
the
> time.  Any help, including 3rd party tool suggestions, is greatly
> appreciated.  I am using C4 legacy.  Thanks!

> Craig

Sun, 08 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Printing to a Pre-Printed Form
From my own experience, if it is possible, I'd scan the pre-printed forms and
use the images as a background for the report.

I've had the devil's own time with preprinted timesheets.  Different versions of
the same fonts installed on different printers raise all kinds of hell with
trying to keep the information inside the boxes.  I've also had fun with printer
feeding mechanisms that are out of alignment and users forgetting to set the
paper tightly against hte feeding trays.

The printing will be slower since you are printing a large image file, but the
reduced aggravation for you and your users is worth it in my mind.  If you don't
do that, I think you are committing to a long, uphill fight as you will probably
endup having to gain runtime control over a lot of the report's control
locations and provide an interface where hte user can specify/save printing
settings for their particular PC/printer combination to keep things aligned
properly

            Tim

Quote:

--
Tim Phillips
Vermont Agency of Natural Resources

Mon, 09 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Printing to a Pre-Printed Form
Hi Craig

Quote:
> I've got a report that I'm printing to a pre-printed form (insurance
form).
> Everything lines up just great here at the office, but the print is all
over
> the place at the client sites.  More correctly, the row positioning is the
> same for everybody, but the columnar positioning is all over the map.
I've
> also noticed that some of the sites are printing with a different font
than
> what I've defined for the report!  How do you get the report to print the
> same for everyone no matter what their print setup?  I need those data
> elements to print so that they fill in the correct boxes on the form all
the
> time.  Any help, including 3rd party tool suggestions, is greatly
> appreciated.  I am using C4 legacy.  Thanks!

    I'm using Word via OLE as a print server for complicated form reports.
In most
cases work Ok. You can create your form as Word DOC, import your data in,
say,
 CSV file and then use Mail Merge. But don't use in-place OLE!

Regards,

Anton Novikov

Mon, 09 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Printing to a Pre-Printed Form

I print to preprinted insurance forms without much problem. The problem seems to be
with how the paper is put in the printer, fanned or not.One page or several. My
users have HP printers at my suggestion. The X's dont always fall exactly in the box
on all printers but close enough for the insurer.
David

Quote:

> From my own experience, if it is possible, I'd scan the pre-printed forms and
> use the images as a background for the report.

> I've had the devil's own time with preprinted timesheets.  Different versions of
> the same fonts installed on different printers raise all kinds of hell with
> trying to keep the information inside the boxes.  I've also had fun with printer
> feeding mechanisms that are out of alignment and users forgetting to set the
> paper tightly against hte feeding trays.

> The printing will be slower since you are printing a large image file, but the
> reduced aggravation for you and your users is worth it in my mind.  If you don't
> do that, I think you are committing to a long, uphill fight as you will probably
> endup having to gain runtime control over a lot of the report's control
> locations and provide an interface where hte user can specify/save printing
> settings for their particular PC/printer combination to keep things aligned
> properly

>             Tim

> > Hi All!

> > I've got a report that I'm printing to a pre-printed form (insurance form).
> > Everything lines up just great here at the office, but the print is all over
> > the place at the client sites.  More correctly, the row positioning is the
> > same for everybody, but the columnar positioning is all over the map.  I've
> > also noticed that some of the sites are printing with a different font than
> > what I've defined for the report!  How do you get the report to print the
> > same for everyone no matter what their print setup?  I need those data
> > elements to print so that they fill in the correct boxes on the form all the
> > time.  Any help, including 3rd party tool suggestions, is greatly
> > appreciated.  I am using C4 legacy.  Thanks!

> > Craig

> --
> Tim Phillips
> Vermont Agency of Natural Resources
> Department of Environmental Conservation

Mon, 09 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Using pre-printed forms - what approach to take?

2. printing on preprinted forms

3. Pre-setting Print jobAttributes (printing a ReportWriter report)

4. PRINT PREVIEWER FREEWARE - FormView - Views HP PCL Print Output / Prints PCL to ANY WINDOWS PRINTER

5. Printing dollar amounts on forms

6. Printing routine for APL+WIN Forms

7. Printing label without form feed C5b ABC

8. Print single space on form templete

9. Printing BarCodes from an entry form Help!!

10. Printing a Record From a Form Procedure CW2003

11. Automatic print on Update Form

12. Print from form