Has deep assignment changed?
Author Message
 Has deep assignment changed?

After installing C55EEa and now C55EEb I have compiled an application
that was working fine last week and suddenly a deep assignment statement
seems to have stopped working.

I have a line in an After accepted embed point which reads:

trc:record :=: INV6.Q

Previously this assigned the value of all Queue fields across to the
record buffer.  Now it seems to do nothing at all.

Anyone any hints or fixes for this?
--
David Penny
Pillar Software

Sat, 06 Sep 2003 16:57:02 GMT
 Has deep assignment changed?
Hi David

I've just updated the VariView templates to save all the variable readings
to a file and this is exactly what I am doing.  Had no problems at all,
worked perfectly.

Cheers
Simon Burrows
VariView templates.  Display your variables and fields as you run your
application
*** Coming Soon *** ReSort Templates.  Allow end users to define custom sort
orders for Browses and Reports at runtime.
WordSpell templates.  Seamlessly use MS Word's Spell checker in your apps.
Screen Redesigner templates - Let your customers change your screen layouts
and control properties to suit their needs at runtime.
Unlimited report layouts, defined by your user at runtime in your Clarion
application
Home of the Clarion List & Label Templates
Free template sets
http://www.solace-software.demon.co.uk

Quote:
> After installing C55EEa and now C55EEb I have compiled an application
> that was working fine last week and suddenly a deep assignment statement
> seems to have stopped working.

> I have a line in an After accepted embed point which reads:

> trc:record :=: INV6.Q

> Previously this assigned the value of all Queue fields across to the
> record buffer.  Now it seems to do nothing at all.

> Anyone any hints or fixes for this?
> --
> David Penny
> Pillar Software
> C55EEb, Crystal Reports, Pervasive 2000

Sat, 06 Sep 2003 18:53:37 GMT
 Has deep assignment changed?
Thanks for the feedback Simon.

It's still not working right though.  If I manually assign the fields
the values are copied across but the deep assignment is not right.
Maybe it's the Queue assignment that's broken.

And thanks for reminding me I _MUST_ get the VariView templates.  I keep
forgetting. <BG>

--
David Penny
Pillar Software

Sat, 06 Sep 2003 19:05:51 GMT
 Has deep assignment changed?
Hi David.

I presume that your field names are the same on both sides?

Cheers
Simon

Quote:
> Thanks for the feedback Simon.

> It's still not working right though.  If I manually assign the fields
> the values are copied across but the deep assignment is not right.
> Maybe it's the Queue assignment that's broken.

> And thanks for reminding me I _MUST_ get the VariView templates.  I keep
> forgetting. <BG>

> --
> David Penny
> Pillar Software
> C5EEb, Crystal Reports, Pervasive 2000

Sat, 06 Sep 2003 19:11:41 GMT
 Has deep assignment changed?

Quote:
>>I presume that your field names are the same on both sides?<<

They are Simon.

I have assumed it's a possible bug because a couple of days ago it all
worked fine.  Now, after installing C55EEb it has stopped working!  The
problem is it also used the Super Invoice Template and the deep
assignment is from the Super Invoice Queue fields.  It is possible that
something has changed there as well.

I'll see what response I get when America wakes up <BG>.

--
David Penny
Pillar Software
C5EEb, Crystal Reports, Pervasive 2000

Sat, 06 Sep 2003 21:02:37 GMT
 Has deep assignment changed?
Hi David,
Due to compiler changes, you might want to check to see if your Queue
structures are using a period to close the structure instead of the
required "END" statement.

This was a change made in 5.5b in order to move toward more 'standard'
OOP syntax.

Ben E. Brady
Brady & Associates, LLC.

Quote:
> >>I presume that your field names are the same on both sides?<<

> They are Simon.

> I have assumed it's a possible bug because a couple of days ago it all
> worked fine.  Now, after installing C55EEb it has stopped working!
The
> problem is it also used the Super Invoice Template and the deep
> assignment is from the Super Invoice Queue fields.  It is possible
that
> something has changed there as well.

> I'll see what response I get when America wakes up <BG>.

> --
> David Penny
> Pillar Software
> C5EEb, Crystal Reports, Pervasive 2000

Sun, 07 Sep 2003 00:14:31 GMT
 Has deep assignment changed?
Hi David,

I have no solution for your problem (well, you can do
simple assignments one by one), but I experienced
a problem with CLEAR() command. I don't know if
it is related, but CLEAR does not properly clear
Record structure when it contains dimensioned
group with CSTRINGs (CSTRINGs are being
filled with blanks, instead to truncated to empty string).

Goran Lazic

Quote:
> After installing C55EEa and now C55EEb I have compiled an application
> that was working fine last week and suddenly a deep assignment statement
> seems to have stopped working.

> I have a line in an After accepted embed point which reads:

> trc:record :=: INV6.Q

> Previously this assigned the value of all Queue fields across to the
> record buffer.  Now it seems to do nothing at all.

> Anyone any hints or fixes for this?
> --
> David Penny
> Pillar Software
> C55EEb, Crystal Reports, Pervasive 2000

Sun, 07 Sep 2003 03:34:56 GMT
 Has deep assignment changed?
My deep assignments are still working fine.

What is the structure of INV6.Q?

Marcos

Quote:
> After installing C55EEa and now C55EEb I have compiled an application
> that was working fine last week and suddenly a deep assignment statement
> seems to have stopped working.

> I have a line in an After accepted embed point which reads:

> trc:record :=: INV6.Q

> Previously this assigned the value of all Queue fields across to the
> record buffer.  Now it seems to do nothing at all.

> Anyone any hints or fixes for this?
> --
> David Penny
> Pillar Software
> C55EEb, Crystal Reports, Pervasive 2000

Sun, 07 Sep 2003 02:29:44 GMT
 Has deep assignment changed?
Marcos,

I think it must be something to do with the way the Queue structure is
defined.  I am using Super Invoice which creates the queue itself.  The
structure of the Queue is, for instance:

Childlist:Queue QUEUE
trc:project     like(trc:project)
etc...

But then the Invoice structure is defined by subclassing it as INV6.Q.
I guess Clarion might have tightened up on these data structures and my
old sloppy coding is no longer working.

I have done some experimenting and found that creating my own queue I
can deep assign between my trc:record structure and a hand coded queue.
However, using the INV6.Q created by Super Invoice does not appear to
work.

I'm trying a work around at the moment but worst case scenario is I'll
have to hand code each individual assignment both ways.  There are only
about 20 fields so it's not too bad.

Quote:

--
David Penny
Pillar Software
C5EEb, Crystal Reports, Pervasive 2000

Sun, 07 Sep 2003 03:06:39 GMT
 Has deep assignment changed?
Ben,

Thanks for the suggestion.

The Queue does have a proper END.

In our office I _never_ let anyone use a period to end anything (well,
almost, apart from if something then this.) because they seem so vague.

However, I'm tracking it down slowly to something in the way Super
Invoice subclasses the Queue.

Quote:

--
David Penny
Pillar Software
C5EEb, Crystal Reports, Pervasive 2000

Sun, 07 Sep 2003 03:10:10 GMT
 Has deep assignment changed?
Ben,

are you saying that the . is no longer valid for ending a que structure?
Did I miss that one?

Skip Williams

Quote:
> Hi David,
> Due to compiler changes, you might want to check to see if your Queue
> structures are using a period to close the structure instead of the
> required "END" statement.

> This was a change made in 5.5b in order to move toward more 'standard'
> OOP syntax.

> Ben E. Brady
> Brady & Associates, LLC.

> > They are Simon.

> > I have assumed it's a possible bug because a couple of days ago it all
> > worked fine.  Now, after installing C55EEb it has stopped working!
> The
> > problem is it also used the Super Invoice Template and the deep
> > assignment is from the Super Invoice Queue fields.  It is possible
> that
> > something has changed there as well.

> > I'll see what response I get when America wakes up <BG>.

> > --
> > David Penny
> > Pillar Software
> > C5EEb, Crystal Reports, Pervasive 2000

Mon, 08 Sep 2003 08:59:03 GMT
 Has deep assignment changed?
Hello,

Quote:

> Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 19:59:03 -0500
> are you saying that the . is no longer valid for ending a que structure?

Dot and END keyword are synonyms for the compiler.

Alexey Solovjev

Mon, 08 Sep 2003 09:10:41 GMT
 Has deep assignment changed?
Alexey,

Quote:
> Dot and END keyword are synonyms for the compiler.

So the compiler considers
alpha.beta.gamma
and
alphaENDbetaENDgamma
to be synonyms?

Enquiring minds... <G>

Arie Rens (RADventure BV)
Amsterdam, the Netherlands
http://www.advantages.nl
SoftVelocity Software Distributor

Tue, 09 Sep 2003 03:15:14 GMT

1. Deep Assignments - How?

2. Deep Assignment (:=:)

3. deep assignment

4. Deep assignment

5. ABC newbie: How do I use deep assignment to copy records

6. Deep assignment

7. Deep Assignment

8. Deep Assignment

9. Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey (Req CW15 to run) - deep.zip (2/2)

10. Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey (Req CW15 to run) - deep.zip (1/2)

11. Ada Language Change: Assignment Overloading

12. forall construct with pointer assignment: different results changing compiler