The passing of an era - Clarion/TopSpeed Forum at CompuServe - RIP
Author Message
 The passing of an era - Clarion/TopSpeed Forum at CompuServe - RIP

To all who formerly visited the Clarion/TopSpeed Forum at CompuServe,

++++++++++++++++++++ RIP ++++++++++++++++++++

This morning the *front*doors* of the Clarion/TopSpeed Forum at
CompuServe have been firmly closed, instead of pointing to the forum,
now points to the CompuServe's boilerplate at CIS:GGG-100.  The closure
occurred between 08:27 and 09:32 BST (GMT+1) which translates to
03:27-04:32 Eastern and 00:27-1:32 Pacific (if I have got my
calculations right).

The last message prior to closure (500630) was posted by Greg O'Reilly

++++++++++++++++++++ RIP ++++++++++++++++++++

Gary
--

Fri, 14 May 1999 12:56 +0100
Using Virtual Access

Tue, 30 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 The passing of an era - Clarion/TopSpeed Forum at CompuServe - RIP
Gary,

Quote:
> The last message prior to closure (500630) was posted by Greg O'Reilly

Could you send me a copy of this message?  I'd like my ForKeeps databases of
TopSpeed related messages to be as complete as possible, and the last message
I retrieved was #500629.

If anyone else has an even later message (e.g. 500631 or higher), I'd
appreciate those as well <g>

Many thanks in advance.

Arie Rens (Advantage Software BV)
Amsterdam, the Netherlands
http://www.advantages.nl
TopSpeed Distributor for the Benelux

Tue, 30 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 The passing of an era - Clarion/TopSpeed Forum at CompuServe - RIP
Quote:

> The last message prior to closure (500630) was posted by Greg O'Reilly

   Then it finished fairly:  someone asking questions about Clarion and
someone helping.

 - Andrew Guidroz II (GeeTroze)

Every pint bottle should contain a quart.
http://www.coonass.com  SnowDog Software

Tue, 30 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 The passing of an era - Clarion/TopSpeed Forum at CompuServe - RIP
Hi Gary!

Quote:
> The passing of an era

"So it goes." -- Kurt Vonnegut

-- Craig (The Data Ferret)
Using Virtual Access 4.52 build 277 (32-bit) in Win95
CPD 2.1 / CDD 3.x / C5EE&IC
CPCS CCS CLACom WinEvent CWA
JANUS/Ada 83 95 CLAW
"Do not meddle in the affairs of FERRETS...."

Tue, 30 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 The passing of an era - Clarion/TopSpeed Forum at CompuServe - RIP
   >>> To all who formerly visited the Clarion/TopSpeed Forum at CompuServe,

   >>> ++++++++++++++++++++ RIP ++++++++++++++++++++

   >>> This morning the *front*doors* of the Clarion/TopSpeed Forum at
   >>> CompuServe have been firmly closed

What a disaster for all of us !!!!

This place is nowhere near as nice, and I still can't get onto the Topspeed
news server. OK, I know that you (Gary) and others have made suggestions. But
at this stage I cannot afford the money to buy or the time to learn a new
offline reader. If anyone knows how to make the TAPNET addon to TAPCIS access
news servers other than Compuserve's own, please let me know.

John

Tue, 30 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 The passing of an era - Clarion/TopSpeed Forum at CompuServe - RIP
On Fri, 14 May 1999 15:26:50 -0400, John Deutsch

Quote:

>   >>> To all who formerly visited the Clarion/TopSpeed Forum at CompuServe,

>   >>> ++++++++++++++++++++ RIP ++++++++++++++++++++

>   >>> This morning the *front*doors* of the Clarion/TopSpeed Forum at
>   >>> CompuServe have been firmly closed

>What a disaster for all of us !!!!

>This place is nowhere near as nice, and I still can't get onto the Topspeed
>news server. OK, I know that you (Gary) and others have made suggestions. But
>at this stage I cannot afford the money to buy or the time to learn a new
>offline reader. If anyone knows how to make the TAPNET addon to TAPCIS access
>news servers other than Compuserve's own, please let me know.

John -

I agree with your sentiments about the newsgroup.  The Compuserve
forum had a "homey" feel to it that doesn't seem to exist here.
Problem was, Compuserve kept hosing people.  I, for one, felt forced t
to move.

I don't know about TapCIS.  But I use the Forte Free Agent offline
reader.  Price is right -- free.  And it doesn't take a lot of time to
learn or configure.  I think their web site is www.forte-inc.com.
(Might be without the dash.)

Rick Smith
Nationwide Advertising

Tue, 30 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 The passing of an era - Clarion/TopSpeed Forum at CompuServe - RIP
Quote:

> This place is nowhere near as nice, and I still can't get onto the Topspeed
> news server. OK, I know that you (Gary) and others have made suggestions. But
> at this stage I cannot afford the money to buy or the time to learn a new
> offline reader.

   Do you have a Windows machine?  Netscape's Collabra (part of Netscape's
browser) does news reading.

   Also, Virtual Access can be "tried" before you buy.

 - Andrew Guidroz II (GeeTroze)

Every pint bottle should contain a quart.
http://www.coonass.com  SnowDog Software

Tue, 30 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 The passing of an era - Clarion/TopSpeed Forum at CompuServe - RIP
Hi Rick,

Quote:

>I don't know about TapCIS.  But I use the Forte Free Agent offline
>reader.  Price is right -- free.  And it doesn't take a lot of time to
>learn or configure.  I think their web site is www.forte-inc.com.
>(Might be without the dash.)

I've used FA since I started on the newsgroups (ages ago it seems<g>).
The address is www.forteinc.com.  I have over 300Mb in the FA files
currently and it works pretty well even with this amount of data:)

Best regards,

Arnor Baldvinsson
[Team Topspeed - Internet Connect]
Allerup Edb
Denmark

Check out Icetips and Icetips Knowledgebase
http://www.icetips.com
UIN nr.: 2428601

Tue, 30 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 The passing of an era - Clarion/TopSpeed Forum at CompuServe - RIP
Rick Smith said
  >>> I don't know about TapCIS.  But I use the Forte Free Agent offline
  >>> reader.  Price is right -- free.  And it doesn't take a lot of time to
  >>> learn or configure.  I think their web site is www.forte-inc.com.
  >>> (Might be without the dash.)

Thanks Rick, I might take a look. I really would prefer to use my present
TAPCIS/TAPNET combination as it keeps newsgroup messages just like forum
messages, so I can do all my service access in a single pass of a single
progam.

John

Wed, 31 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 The passing of an era - Clarion/TopSpeed Forum at CompuServe - RIP
To Andrew Guidroz II.

  >> Do you have a Windows machine?  Netscape's Collabra (part of Netscape's
  >> browser) does news reading.
  >> Also, Virtual Access can be "tried" before you buy.

I have a machine that I run Windows on when I have to, but I mainly run DOS
because (a) I find the screen easier to read and (b) most of the work that I
do is in DOS.

I know about VA, and suppose that in the end I'll go that route as it keeps
forum and newsgroup access in one program. Some years ago I tried an earlier
product (WIGWAM) from the same supplier as VA, and was not very happy with
it. I later asked them if I could upgrade to VA, but neither they nor I could
find the necessary details of my purchase of WIGWAM, so they would not sell
to be at theit special upgrade price.

John

Wed, 31 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 The passing of an era - Clarion/TopSpeed Forum at CompuServe - RIP
John,

I used TAPCIS for a long time and liked it.
As compuserve seemed to waste away I changed to Virtual Access for
some time, mainly because it could manage Compuserve forum, Newgroups
AND personal Mail but I never come to like the feel of the program: it
is not very handy for daily use and very complicated (I think) - and
then it is expensive.
Now I use Agent and it works fine for me. It's the big brother of Free
Agent (You have to pay a little money for it) but it has some
advantages, mainly the fact that it handles your incoming and outgoing
e-mail too.
- All in one passing, moreover.

        Morten, Denmark

On Sat, 15 May 1999 16:30:40 -0400, John Deutsch

Quote:

> I really would prefer to use my present
>TAPCIS/TAPNET combination as it keeps newsgroup messages just like forum
>messages, so I can do all my service access in a single pass of a single
>progam.

Wed, 31 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 The passing of an era - Clarion/TopSpeed Forum at CompuServe - RIP
On Mon, 17 May 1999 14:42:44 -0400, John Deutsch

Quote:

>Thanks for message about Agent and Free Agent. Perhaps I'll try free agent,
>and then go to Agent if I like it.

John,
I used Free Agent for 5 months and grew to like it so much I upgraded
to Agent. I've been using it for about a year now and I couldn't live
without it. I'm an old Tapcis user myself, but gave it up a few years
ago. Got tired of the old money drain.

b. rgds.
Richard (The Sylkie)
UIN:3498567

Thu, 01 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 The passing of an era - Clarion/TopSpeed Forum at CompuServe - RIP
Arie,

Quote:

> Could you send me a copy of this message?  I'd like my ForKeeps databases of
> TopSpeed related messages to be as complete as possible, and the last message
> I retrieved was #500629.

> If anyone else has an even later message (e.g. 500631 or higher), I'd
> appreciate those as well <g>

Use the DBID as a GO Word to get into the forum via the backdoor (which is
FRM-126).

Gary
--

Mon, 17 May 1999 12:20 +0100
Using Virtual Access

Fri, 02 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 The passing of an era - Clarion/TopSpeed Forum at CompuServe - RIP
Andrew,

Quote:
> Then it finished fairly:  someone asking questions about Clarion and
> someone helping.

Read Front Door, the Back Door is still open.  ;-)

Gary
--

Mon, 17 May 1999 12:23 +0100
Using Virtual Access

Fri, 02 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 The passing of an era - Clarion/TopSpeed Forum at CompuServe - RIP
Morten,

Thanks for message about Agent and Free Agent. Perhaps I'll try free agent,
and then go to Agent if I like it.

John

Fri, 02 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT

 [ 16 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. Over 500,000 messages in TopSpeed forum op CompuServe

2. CompuServe Clarion forum for the rest of us

3. compuserve forum

4. IBM Compuserve forum

5. Looking for TB101.zip from compuserve forum

6. Possible Ada Forum on CompuServe (summary)

7. Possible Ada Forum on CompuServe

8. CompuServe Ada Forum Rejected

9. new Python forum on CompuServe

10. CompuServe address of PDC Prolog Forum

11. CompuServe Digitalk forum?

12. Suggestion: Call Clarion TopSpeed, Call TopSpeed TS C