WMF files
Author Message
 WMF files

More and more new printers are not supporting WMF files.
Is there a way to get the Clarion 5 print engine to print in another format?
Are there any template solutions?

Our flagship product contains hundreds of reports so converting them to
something like List & Labels is not an option at this time. Upgrading to
Clarion 6 is also not really an option either because there are approx 24
apps with over 100 procedures in each, and to complicate things further we
are using the DEF templates as well.

So a simple elegant solution would be great. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
TonyM

Sun, 06 Nov 2005 09:21:18 GMT
 WMF files
Can you explain better?

Why would a printer not print a WMF?

--

- Andrew Guidroz II (GeeTroze)

Quote:
> More and more new printers are not supporting WMF files.
> Is there a way to get the Clarion 5 print engine to print in another
format?
> Are there any template solutions?

> Our flagship product contains hundreds of reports so converting them to
> something like List & Labels is not an option at this time. Upgrading to
> Clarion 6 is also not really an option either because there are approx 24
> apps with over 100 procedures in each, and to complicate things further we
> are using the DEF templates as well.

> So a simple elegant solution would be great. Does anyone have any ideas?

> Thanks
> TonyM

Sun, 06 Nov 2005 10:09:30 GMT
 WMF files
It seems the the latest printer drivers do not support WMF files. We spoke
to Epson on behalf of a client this morning and they said that they no
longer supported wmf files in their drivers. We have had the same problem
with other manufacturers when clients have bought new printers. Most are
able to install an earlier version of the drivers and everything works ok.
The only company that has not been a problem so far is Canon, but this may
change in the future.

--
Regards,
Tony M

Sun, 06 Nov 2005 10:39:42 GMT
 WMF files
Tony;

Did the manufacturers give any reason for not providing this support? Is
this another M$ move to force Word97 users to finally upgrade ... what? I've
never heard of this.

Greg

Quote:
> It seems the the latest printer drivers do not support WMF files. We spoke
> to Epson on behalf of a client this morning and they said that they no
> longer supported wmf files in their drivers. We have had the same problem
> with other manufacturers when clients have bought new printers. Most are
> able to install an earlier version of the drivers and everything works ok.
> The only company that has not been a problem so far is Canon, but this may
> change in the future.

> --
> Regards,
> Tony M

Sun, 06 Nov 2005 10:57:58 GMT
 WMF files
Tony,

I'm not sure under what circumstances the manufacturers are referring
but a printer driver doesn't know what's being sent to it. A meta file
is simply a set of vector (GDI) commands that are "played" to a printer
DC.

These are the very same GDI commands you could use to draw directly to
the printer DC. Whether I generate the commands directly in source or
play them out of a meta file, they're the same commands.

Granted, Clarion has problems in earlier releases when used on W2K or XP
but those problems were fixed in C5.5<something>.

EMF's are the preferred format now, but WMF's and EMF's are both
basically the same animal when it comes to running GDI commands to a DC.
EMF's support new functionality not available in WMF's, but when it's
all said and done they both simply draw pictures using GDI commands...
all of which are still supported by Windows. If the GDI commands are no
longer supported by a printer driver then that printer driver is in
error and wouldn't/shouldn't work with either format.

The really frightening thing is that EMF's, the new MS standard, created
on W2K and XP will not always play on '98 machines due to a couple of
recent changes to structure sizes. OTOH, WMF's will work as expected on
all no matter on which they are created. Go figure!<g>

--
Lee White

Lodestar Software         www.CWaddons.com
DeveloperPLUS Corporation www.DeveloperPLUS.com

> It seems the the latest printer drivers do not support WMF files.

Sun, 06 Nov 2005 11:09:14 GMT
 WMF files
Is there a way to place an Adobe PDF file in the clarion report engine just
like you would do with a wmf file?

Ed

Quote:
> It seems the the latest printer drivers do not support WMF files. We spoke
> to Epson on behalf of a client this morning and they said that they no
> longer supported wmf files in their drivers. We have had the same problem
> with other manufacturers when clients have bought new printers. Most are
> able to install an earlier version of the drivers and everything works ok.
> The only company that has not been a problem so far is Canon, but this may
> change in the future.

> --
> Regards,
> Tony M

Sun, 06 Nov 2005 11:10:48 GMT
 WMF files
No reason given. One of the original techies my colleague spoke to asked
"Whats a WMF file?"
Worrying....

--
Regards,
Tony M

Sun, 06 Nov 2005 12:13:45 GMT
 WMF files
This could be panic city for me as I use mostly Epson printers. Are they
nuts?

Greg

Quote:
> No reason given. One of the original techies my colleague spoke to asked
> "Whats a WMF file?"
> Worrying....

> --
> Regards,
> Tony M

Sun, 06 Nov 2005 12:28:46 GMT
 WMF files
Thanks. I like to learn new things!
So, if I understand correctly there should be no reason for the WMF files
not printing except the problem with Clarion 5, Correct?

We may have to bite the bullet and go to Clarion 6.

--
Regards,
Tony M

Quote:
> Tony,

> I'm not sure under what circumstances the manufacturers are referring
> but a printer driver doesn't know what's being sent to it. A meta file
> is simply a set of vector (GDI) commands that are "played" to a printer
> DC.

> These are the very same GDI commands you could use to draw directly to
> the printer DC. Whether I generate the commands directly in source or
> play them out of a meta file, they're the same commands.

> Granted, Clarion has problems in earlier releases when used on W2K or XP
> but those problems were fixed in C5.5<something>.

> EMF's are the preferred format now, but WMF's and EMF's are both
> basically the same animal when it comes to running GDI commands to a DC.
> EMF's support new functionality not available in WMF's, but when it's
> all said and done they both simply draw pictures using GDI commands...
> all of which are still supported by Windows. If the GDI commands are no
> longer supported by a printer driver then that printer driver is in
> error and wouldn't/shouldn't work with either format.

> The really frightening thing is that EMF's, the new MS standard, created
> on W2K and XP will not always play on '98 machines due to a couple of
> recent changes to structure sizes. OTOH, WMF's will work as expected on
> all no matter on which they are created. Go figure!<g>

> --
> Lee White

> Lodestar Software         www.CWaddons.com
> DeveloperPLUS Corporation www.DeveloperPLUS.com

> > It seems the the latest printer drivers do not support WMF files.

Sun, 06 Nov 2005 12:36:22 GMT
 WMF files
Then Clarion print engine generates WMF files to send to the printer.
Clarion 6 apparently will create PDF files.

--
Regards,
Tony M

Quote:
> Is there a way to place an Adobe PDF file in the clarion report engine
just
> like you would do with a wmf file?

> Ed

> > It seems the the latest printer drivers do not support WMF files. We
spoke
> > to Epson on behalf of a client this morning and they said that they no
> > longer supported wmf files in their drivers. We have had the same
problem
> > with other manufacturers when clients have bought new printers. Most are
> > able to install an earlier version of the drivers and everything works
ok.
> > The only company that has not been a problem so far is Canon, but this
may
> > change in the future.

> > --
> > Regards,
> > Tony M

Sun, 06 Nov 2005 12:38:31 GMT
 WMF files
Hi Tony,

PDF-Tools will convert your Clarion WMF files to PDF (without a print
driver) and then you bypass any problems or support issues with Printer
manufacturers.

Also When you purchase PDF-Tools you are getting much more than simple PDF
generation - but a whole toolset for manipulating and creating PDF's that is
good for Clarion and just about any other Tool you may use.

Though I do have to say I am somewhat surprised at Epsons answer and I would
maybe check again with Epson in the hope you get a more educated individual.

Trials:
http://www.docu-track.com/index.php?page=28

--
Best Regards

John Verbeeten
Tracker Software Products
PDF-XChange & SDK, Image-XChange SDK,
PDF-Tools & SDK, TIFF-XChange & SDK, DocuTrack.

www.docu-track.com
User Updates (serial # required)
http://www.docu-track.com/download.php
Trials:
http://www.docu-track.com/index.php?page=28
Pricing:
http://www.docu-track.com/index.php?page=30

Quote:
> More and more new printers are not supporting WMF files.
> Is there a way to get the Clarion 5 print engine to print in another
format?
> Are there any template solutions?

> Our flagship product contains hundreds of reports so converting them to
> something like List & Labels is not an option at this time. Upgrading to
> Clarion 6 is also not really an option either because there are approx 24
> apps with over 100 procedures in each, and to complicate things further we
> are using the DEF templates as well.

> So a simple elegant solution would be great. Does anyone have any ideas?

> Thanks
> TonyM

Sun, 06 Nov 2005 17:09:08 GMT
 WMF files
Hi Tony,

you could use ImageEx to convert the WMF files to bitmaps before
printing. This will of course increase print job size and slow down the
printing process somewhat, but would sure work...

Check http://www.solidsoftware.de/imageex.htm for more info and a demo
version.

Regards,
Jens

--
Jens Weiermann
solid software

Quote:

> More and more new printers are not supporting WMF files.
> Is there a way to get the Clarion 5 print engine to print in another format?
> Are there any template solutions?

> Our flagship product contains hundreds of reports so converting them to
> something like List & Labels is not an option at this time. Upgrading to
> Clarion 6 is also not really an option either because there are approx 24
> apps with over 100 procedures in each, and to complicate things further we
> are using the DEF templates as well.

> So a simple elegant solution would be great. Does anyone have any ideas?

> Thanks
> TonyM

Sun, 06 Nov 2005 18:12:56 GMT

1. add multiple WMF-images to 1 WMF-file

2. copy temporary report wmf.file to permanent wmf

3. Converting PDF files to WMF files

4. How to convert WMF files to RTF files?

5. VW: Interface with CADand WMF-files

6. Printing a report to a WMF file

7. Moving a .WMF file to a BLOB

8. Found a great way to make WMF files!