Calling Simon Kemp Re: Clarion app as Window Shell
Author Message
 Calling Simon Kemp Re: Clarion app as Window Shell

Calling Simon Kemp

Please Help

Cheers

Ed

Quote:
> Simon Kemp's the expert there.

> --
> Ian Holdsworth
> Senior Programmer / Assistant IT Manager
> Response Analysis & Mailing Ltd

> Direct Line:    +44 (0) 20 8880 8866
> Switch Board:   +44 (0) 20 8880 8140
> Fax:            +44 (0) 0870 134 0987

> Web Site:       www.ram-ltd.co.uk

> > Hi All

> > I understand from previous posts that I can Have a win 98 PC use my
> Clation
> > App as the windows Shell by replacing the Shell = explore.exe line in
the
> > system.ini file with my clarion prog.exe.

> > I need to do this on 8 win 98 PC's and 8 Win2k pro PC's (Part of a Call
> > centre - to stop users messing with any and ALL settings on PC's).

> > Basically - All PC's are set up to point to the relevent server and
> printer.
> > The user will Double Click a desktop Shortcut to start the 3rd Party
> > Software (A Pre-dictive dialler telesales client from the server).

> > I Need to write a Clarion program that will display on windows boot up
(Be
> > the windows Shell), and give access to the server via a shortcut (I will
> > prob use a Menu or Toolbar icon)

> > I Need to be able to close down windows and the PC from my Clarion Prog
> > (Probably some API calls required here).

> > If I replace the windows explorer.exe will I still get the Windows
Network
> > Log in Screen, then my Clarion Program?

> > I think I need to Have windows autologon to the server (win 2000 server
&
> > SQL2000 as the DB) then display my clarion Prog.

> > If I need to change some settings on the PC and need to get back into
> > Explrer.exe, what is the best way.

> > I am sure this can be done, any help greatly appreciated

> > Ed
> > C4b-ABC, C5b-ABC & C5.5h-ABC

> > --
> > Edwin Hannan

---

Sun, 15 May 2005 15:53:51 GMT
 Calling Simon Kemp Re: Clarion app as Window Shell
Hi Ed,

I've done this with some EPOS programs.

Basically you need to change the line in Win.ini from Shell=Explorer.exe to
Shell=MyApp.exe

Now if you want to have some fun in PC World on a Saturday afternoon, change
all the Shell= Explorer.exe to Shell=   and when the system next reboots it
comes up with a blue screen saying it needs to reinstall the OS! Something
for a monday morning headache.

Anyway as this is in the win.ini all you need is getini and putini and have
an option in the your app that changes the win.ini back to explorer.exe
otherwise you will only be able to edit via a safemode command prompt load.
When in windows just create a small program that will change the win.ini
back to your app and then reboot the machine. One other thing you'll need in
your app is a shutdown windows and reboot windows option as well.

Reboot options can be found here (requires no api programming)
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=richard+rose+reboot&hl=en&lr=&ie=UT...
e=off&selm=935240340.6906.0.nnrp-11.c1ed4f9b%40news.demon.co.uk&rnum=1

Posting for more info on the win.ini renaming
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=richard+rose+win.ini&hl=en&lr=&ie=U...
fe=off&selm=3739330e.0%40tsnews.clarion.com&rnum=2

hth

Richard

Quote:
> Calling Simon Kemp

> Please Help

> Cheers

> Ed

> > Simon Kemp's the expert there.

> > --
> > Ian Holdsworth
> > Senior Programmer / Assistant IT Manager
> > Response Analysis & Mailing Ltd

> > Direct Line:    +44 (0) 20 8880 8866
> > Switch Board:   +44 (0) 20 8880 8140
> > Fax:            +44 (0) 0870 134 0987

> > Web Site:       www.ram-ltd.co.uk

> > > Hi All

> > > I understand from previous posts that I can Have a win 98 PC use my
> > Clation
> > > App as the windows Shell by replacing the Shell = explore.exe line in
> the
> > > system.ini file with my clarion prog.exe.

> > > I need to do this on 8 win 98 PC's and 8 Win2k pro PC's (Part of a
Call
> > > centre - to stop users messing with any and ALL settings on PC's).

> > > Basically - All PC's are set up to point to the relevent server and
> > printer.
> > > The user will Double Click a desktop Shortcut to start the 3rd Party
> > > Software (A Pre-dictive dialler telesales client from the server).

> > > I Need to write a Clarion program that will display on windows boot up
> (Be
> > > the windows Shell), and give access to the server via a shortcut (I
will
> > > prob use a Menu or Toolbar icon)

> > > I Need to be able to close down windows and the PC from my Clarion
Prog
> > > (Probably some API calls required here).

> > > If I replace the windows explorer.exe will I still get the Windows
> Network
> > > Log in Screen, then my Clarion Program?

> > > I think I need to Have windows autologon to the server (win 2000
server
> &
> > > SQL2000 as the DB) then display my clarion Prog.

> > > If I need to change some settings on the PC and need to get back into
> > > Explrer.exe, what is the best way.

> > > I am sure this can be done, any help greatly appreciated

> > > Ed
> > > C4b-ABC, C5b-ABC & C5.5h-ABC

> > > --
> > > Edwin Hannan

> ---

Mon, 16 May 2005 02:55:52 GMT
 Calling Simon Kemp Re: Clarion app as Window Shell

Quote:
> Now if you want to have some fun in PC World on a Saturday afternoon,
change
> all the Shell= Explorer.exe to Shell=   and when the system next reboots
it
> comes up with a blue screen saying it needs to reinstall the OS! Something
> for a monday morning headache.

Like my wife is fond of saying:

"You don't have to be clever ... just mean"

;-)

Charles Edmonds

Mon, 16 May 2005 03:14:13 GMT
 Calling Simon Kemp Re: Clarion app as Window Shell
Cheers Richard

Ed

Quote:
> Calling Simon Kemp

> Please Help

> Cheers

> Ed

> > Simon Kemp's the expert there.

> > --
> > Ian Holdsworth
> > Senior Programmer / Assistant IT Manager
> > Response Analysis & Mailing Ltd

> > Direct Line:    +44 (0) 20 8880 8866
> > Switch Board:   +44 (0) 20 8880 8140
> > Fax:            +44 (0) 0870 134 0987

> > Web Site:       www.ram-ltd.co.uk

> > > Hi All

> > > I understand from previous posts that I can Have a win 98 PC use my
> > Clation
> > > App as the windows Shell by replacing the Shell = explore.exe line in
> the
> > > system.ini file with my clarion prog.exe.

> > > I need to do this on 8 win 98 PC's and 8 Win2k pro PC's (Part of a
Call
> > > centre - to stop users messing with any and ALL settings on PC's).

> > > Basically - All PC's are set up to point to the relevent server and
> > printer.
> > > The user will Double Click a desktop Shortcut to start the 3rd Party
> > > Software (A Pre-dictive dialler telesales client from the server).

> > > I Need to write a Clarion program that will display on windows boot up
> (Be
> > > the windows Shell), and give access to the server via a shortcut (I
will
> > > prob use a Menu or Toolbar icon)

> > > I Need to be able to close down windows and the PC from my Clarion
Prog
> > > (Probably some API calls required here).

> > > If I replace the windows explorer.exe will I still get the Windows
> Network
> > > Log in Screen, then my Clarion Program?

> > > I think I need to Have windows autologon to the server (win 2000
server
> &
> > > SQL2000 as the DB) then display my clarion Prog.

> > > If I need to change some settings on the PC and need to get back into
> > > Explrer.exe, what is the best way.

> > > I am sure this can be done, any help greatly appreciated

> > > Ed
> > > C4b-ABC, C5b-ABC & C5.5h-ABC

> > > --
> > > Edwin Hannan

> ---

---

Tue, 17 May 2005 02:57:34 GMT

1. Making Clarion App the Windows Shell???

2. Convert Clarion 2.0 app to Clarion 5.5 apps.

3. Clarion 5 app, windows 98 and windows XP

4. Close a Clarion app from another Clarion app?

5. Deployed app terminates after a MessageBox is displayed before main app shell view is opened

6. Call for Applictions (Simon Fraser University)

7. how to run script in windows via C system call w/o popup dos shell

8. Call to Windows NT shell

9. Clarion App reports missing RASAPI32.DLL on Windows NT

10. clarion for dos apps & windows 98

11. A Clarion App that crashes some windows

12. Convert DOS-based Clarion App to Windows