Link Error: Group or Segclass exceeds 64K
Author Message
 Link Error: Group or Segclass exceeds 64K

For this error, the only cure is to remove some code from the offending
module.  When you get the error, click on the ERROR button, and you will see
the error and which module the problem is in.  If you have several
procedures in that module, you will need to separate out some procedures
into a separate module.  If you only have one procedure in that module, then
the procedure has too much code in it.  You need to move some code into a
separate procedure (in a separate module).

--
--John Hickey
Clarion Central - Home of TimeSavers Products!

> I'm using CW2003, 16-bit.  I received an error "Link Error: Group or
> Segclass exceeds 64K" just before my app finished compiling after I made a
> bunch of changes to my dictionary.  Editing the error puts me in the .map
> text file, where the error shows up.  App will not compile unless I go
back
> to the old copy of the dictionary.

> I added a field to one key in each of 5 tables, which changed some file
> relationships, but I'm pretty sure I fixed all those.

> Anyone know what this error means, and how I can fix my dictionary or app
so
> that it will finish compiling?

> Jim Johnson

> Cross-posted to topspeed.products.cw20

Mon, 24 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Link Error: Group or Segclass exceeds 64K
I'm using CW2003, 16-bit.  I received an error "Link Error: Group or
Segclass exceeds 64K" just before my app finished compiling after I made a
bunch of changes to my dictionary.  Editing the error puts me in the .map
text file, where the error shows up.  App will not compile unless I go back
to the old copy of the dictionary.

I added a field to one key in each of 5 tables, which changed some file
relationships, but I'm pretty sure I fixed all those.

Anyone know what this error means, and how I can fix my dictionary or app so
that it will finish compiling?

Jim Johnson

Cross-posted to topspeed.products.cw20

Tue, 25 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Link Error: Group or Segclass exceeds 64K

Quote:
> I'm using CW2003, 16-bit.  I received an error "Link Error: Group or
> Segclass exceeds 64K" just before my app finished compiling after I
made a
> bunch of changes to my dictionary.  Editing the error puts me in the
.map
> text file, where the error shows up.  App will not compile unless I
go back
> to the old copy of the dictionary.

> I added a field to one key in each of 5 tables, which changed some
file
> relationships, but I'm pretty sure I fixed all those.

> Anyone know what this error means, and how I can fix my dictionary or
app so
> that it will finish compiling?

> Jim Johnson

> Cross-posted to topspeed.products.cw20

This error means that your dictionary has got to big for Clarion 16bit
to cope with.
You could :
a) Remove any unnecessary fields, keys, or files from your dictionary
b) Buy DET from www.capesoft.com which will solve it
c) Split the dictionary yourself
To do this you need to find a two sets of procedures that access two
sets of files with no overlap and point the two sets of procedures to
the right dictionary.
d) Find any files that are only referenced in one procedures and remove
them from the dictionary into the Data embed for that procedure
Of course, no templates will be able to access them then.
e) Move to 32bit. The best solution, assuming you have no customers on
Windows 3.1 or Windows 3.11
Clarion just cannot cope well with large programs in 16bit.

Note : This is a long term best solution 'cos it could take a lot of
time to do, depending on the templates you are using and if you
programmed "correctly" first time round. I have discovered that the
32bit compiler is a little more fussy about getting things in the right
places than 16bit compiler was.

Stephen Fulton

Stephen Fulton

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Tue, 25 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Link Error: Group or Segclass exceeds 64K
John & Stephen:

Thanks for the prompt replies.  I'm pondering my options now...and the point
will soon be moot (I hope) as we convert this to Clarion 5.  I had just
wanted it to work in the meantime!

Jim

|> I'm using CW2003, 16-bit.  I received an error "Link Error: Group or
|> Segclass exceeds 64K" just before my app finished compiling after I
|made a
|> bunch of changes to my dictionary.  Editing the error puts me in the
|.map
|> text file, where the error shows up.  App will not compile unless I
|go back
|> to the old copy of the dictionary.
|>
|> I added a field to one key in each of 5 tables, which changed some
|file
|> relationships, but I'm pretty sure I fixed all those.
|>
|> Anyone know what this error means, and how I can fix my dictionary or
|app so
|> that it will finish compiling?
|>
|> Jim Johnson
|>
|> Cross-posted to topspeed.products.cw20
|>

|This error means that your dictionary has got to big for Clarion 16bit
|to cope with.
|You could :
|a) Remove any unnecessary fields, keys, or files from your dictionary
|b) Buy DET from www.capesoft.com which will solve it
|c) Split the dictionary yourself
|To do this you need to find a two sets of procedures that access two
|sets of files with no overlap and point the two sets of procedures to
|the right dictionary.
|d) Find any files that are only referenced in one procedures and remove
|them from the dictionary into the Data embed for that procedure
|Of course, no templates will be able to access them then.
|e) Move to 32bit. The best solution, assuming you have no customers on
|Windows 3.1 or Windows 3.11
|Clarion just cannot cope well with large programs in 16bit.
|
|Note : This is a long term best solution 'cos it could take a lot of
|time to do, depending on the templates you are using and if you
|programmed "correctly" first time round. I have discovered that the
|32bit compiler is a little more fussy about getting things in the right
|places than 16bit compiler was.
|
|Stephen Fulton
|
|Stephen Fulton
|

|Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
|Share what you know. Learn what you don't.

Tue, 25 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Link Error: Group or Segclass exceeds 64K
Hi Jim,
Don't want to spoil your anticipation of C5, but you will still get these errors
as long as your working in 16bit.  Right now I have so many class files in my
libsrc directoy that I can't compile anything in 16bit without my ABC DLL
Toolkit, which allows me to pick and choose which classes will get included in
the app.

HTH

Quote:

> John & Stephen:

> Thanks for the prompt replies.  I'm pondering my options now...and the point
> will soon be moot (I hope) as we convert this to Clarion 5.  I had just
> wanted it to work in the meantime!

> Jim

> |> I'm using CW2003, 16-bit.  I received an error "Link Error: Group or
> |> Segclass exceeds 64K" just before my app finished compiling after I
> |made a
> |> bunch of changes to my dictionary.  Editing the error puts me in the
> |.map
> |> text file, where the error shows up.  App will not compile unless I
> |go back
> |> to the old copy of the dictionary.
> |>
> |> I added a field to one key in each of 5 tables, which changed some
> |file
> |> relationships, but I'm pretty sure I fixed all those.
> |>
> |> Anyone know what this error means, and how I can fix my dictionary or
> |app so
> |> that it will finish compiling?
> |>
> |> Jim Johnson
> |>
> |> Cross-posted to topspeed.products.cw20
> |>

> |This error means that your dictionary has got to big for Clarion 16bit
> |to cope with.
> |You could :
> |a) Remove any unnecessary fields, keys, or files from your dictionary
> |b) Buy DET from www.capesoft.com which will solve it
> |c) Split the dictionary yourself
> |To do this you need to find a two sets of procedures that access two
> |sets of files with no overlap and point the two sets of procedures to
> |the right dictionary.
> |d) Find any files that are only referenced in one procedures and remove
> |them from the dictionary into the Data embed for that procedure
> |Of course, no templates will be able to access them then.
> |e) Move to 32bit. The best solution, assuming you have no customers on
> |Windows 3.1 or Windows 3.11
> |Clarion just cannot cope well with large programs in 16bit.
> |
> |Note : This is a long term best solution 'cos it could take a lot of
> |time to do, depending on the templates you are using and if you
> |programmed "correctly" first time round. I have discovered that the
> |32bit compiler is a little more fussy about getting things in the right
> |places than 16bit compiler was.
> |
> |Stephen Fulton
> |
> |Stephen Fulton
> |

> |Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> |Share what you know. Learn what you don't.

--
! Jim Katz
! Certified Clarion Developer

Tue, 25 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Link Error: Group or Segclass exceeds 64K
Quote:

> Thanks for the prompt replies.  I'm pondering my options now...and the point
> will soon be moot (I hope) as we convert this to Clarion 5.  I had just
> wanted it to work in the meantime!

Chances are you'll have the same error in C5.  The limit isn't a CW limit.
Jim Kane  - TeamTopSpeed
Productive Software Solutions
Can't Find that Message?
Get Organized, Get ForKeeps!
www.fkeeps.com

Tue, 25 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Link Error: Group or Segclass exceeds 64K
Jim (Katz) & Jim (Kane):

Gee, y'all sure are encouraging!  Seriously, thanks for the heads-up.  I
think we'll go to 32-bit in C5, so I don't think it will be an issue then.
But I have been wrong before...

Jim (Johnson)

|> Thanks for the prompt replies.  I'm pondering my options now...and the
point
|> will soon be moot (I hope) as we convert this to Clarion 5.  I had just
|> wanted it to work in the meantime!
|>
|Chances are you'll have the same error in C5.  The limit isn't a CW limit.
|Jim Kane  - TeamTopSpeed
|Productive Software Solutions
|Can't Find that Message?
|Get Organized, Get ForKeeps!
|www.fkeeps.com

Tue, 25 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Link Error: Group or Segclass exceeds 64K

Quote:

> Chances are you'll have the same error in C5.  The limit isn't a CW limit.

In fact, itll get worse. The legacy templates in c5 are "bigger" than those
in cw2. I have an app that wont link in 16 bit c5 (due to segclass issues in
2 modules) and it will link fine in cw2. Course there are a ton of bugs that
dont exist in the c5 version as well - a trade off that suits me fine<g>

---
Mark Riffey
Granite Bear Development
http://www.granitebear.com

Software for professional photography studios
and non-profit organizations

Wed, 26 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Link Error: Group or Segclass exceeds 64K ?

2. Link error - Group or Segclass exceeds 64k

3. CW2001.01 REPOST - Link Error: Group or Segclass exceeds 64K

4. CW2001.01 HELP! "Link Error: Group or SegClass exceeds 64K"

5. Group or Segclass exceeds 64K

6. Group or Segclass exceeds 64K

7. Group or Segclass exceeds 64K

8. Group or Segclass exceeds 64k

9. More info about error: group or segclass exceeds 64 K

10. SegClass exceeds 64K?

11. Group or Segclass exceeds 64 K

12. Any tips on 'Group or Segclass exceeds 64K' error under 16 bit build?