Different locations for files - how???
Author Message
 Different locations for files - how???

Is there some way besides using variable file names for me to be able to
point my program to different locations for the data files. I would like to
have live data and a folder for test data.
I have done this with variable file names but I have an existing system with
a LOT of files and I'm just feeling lazy regarding having to touch every
file in the dictionary to do this.

Thanks - Ed Campbell
C55h

Sun, 15 May 2005 04:17:55 GMT
 Different locations for files - how???
Ed,

If you are using TPS files you can just create a shortcut of your program
exe and "Start In" the test folder.  Create another shortcut and "Start In"
your live folder.  This will work with any non-SQL type file.  If it is SQL
based you must use variable file names with the proper connection string...

Ben

Quote:
> Is there some way besides using variable file names for me to be able to
> point my program to different locations for the data files. I would like
> have live data and a folder for test data.
> I have done this with variable file names but I have an existing system
with
> a LOT of files and I'm just feeling lazy regarding having to touch every
> file in the dictionary to do this.

> Thanks - Ed Campbell
> C55h

Sun, 15 May 2005 04:25:40 GMT
 Different locations for files - how???
Take a look at Path Manager at http://www.clarioncentral.com/. It manages variable path names, and has a developer switch you
can set to your test data.

Rocky

Quote:

> Is there some way besides using variable file names for me to be able to
> point my program to different locations for the data files. I would like to
> have live data and a folder for test data.
> I have done this with variable file names but I have an existing system with
> a LOT of files and I'm just feeling lazy regarding having to touch every
> file in the dictionary to do this.

> Thanks - Ed Campbell
> C55h

Sun, 15 May 2005 05:25:24 GMT
 Different locations for files - how???

Ed,

    Probably the easiest way is to have your program located in two
different directories (one "live" and one "test"). Another way is to
SETPATH to the proper before opening any files. The other ideas
mentioned here are good too. Just a user preference... {'-)

    Regards,

    kurtt

    Kurt Pawlikowski
    The Pinrod Corporation

    (773) 284-9500
    http://pinrod.com

Quote:

>Is there some way besides using variable file names for me to be able to
>point my program to different locations for the data files. I would like to
>have live data and a folder for test data.
>I have done this with variable file names but I have an existing system with
>a LOT of files and I'm just feeling lazy regarding having to touch every
>file in the dictionary to do this.

>Thanks - Ed Campbell
>C55h

Sun, 15 May 2005 18:49:20 GMT
 Different locations for files - how???
Thank you to everyone for their input.
Some good ideas here.

Ed

Quote:
> Is there some way besides using variable file names for me to be able to
> point my program to different locations for the data files. I would like
> have live data and a folder for test data.
> I have done this with variable file names but I have an existing system
with
> a LOT of files and I'm just feeling lazy regarding having to touch every
> file in the dictionary to do this.

> Thanks - Ed Campbell
> C55h

Tue, 17 May 2005 05:25:22 GMT

1. Vis that reside in different location but have a same name und different funktion

2. same file - different locations

3. same Program fast and slow when run on different location

4. Multi-Programmer Development from Different Locations.

5. Call different files in different folder

6. Expect: How to log different process to different files

7. Do different compilers produce different .mod files?

8. Merge selected columns from two different files into another file

9. copying files using as a different file name

10. Alias TPS with different path/file name than original file

11. one file unit accessing two different files?

12. How To Store File Locations?