Clarion Seems Incredibly slow on Novell v4.11 Clarion or Novel ??
Author Message
 Clarion Seems Incredibly slow on Novell v4.11 Clarion or Novel ??

Hi there .. Using C4b - Lagacy

My Files are opened in share mode, My FileNames are global Cstring vars, my
Program.exe is local data on netw disk,and they are keyed correct.. Also its
a 32Bit application,  Using the TPS File driver,but seperate datafiles. Also
installed are Netw 32Bit clients . 10Mbit cars & Cable ..

Other non CLient/Server applications (witch i stopped for the moment letting
clarion have all resources is working fine ? )

I've timed a search with one user connected - the search took 14Sec  (2 sec
on my development PC<g>).. With 2 or more users it takes 8 minutes and 49
Secs??!! (I only got 480 . records in my customer file and approx 500 in the
contact file)

The type of PC's i use is Pentiums none with less than 300/450 Mhz & 32/64
Mb ram.

I've developed an search witch only reads through Some records for the
example lets say somting like
set(Customer)
    Loop(Customers)
    Nomemo(Customer)
    Next(Customer)
       Con:Cust_Link = Cust:Custno
       Set(Con:Lnk,Con:Lnk) ! --- Set(Key,key)
       Loop(COntacts)
        Next(Contact)
            IF ...  meets criteria then ... add too mem queue ..
       END !Loop Contacts
   END! Loop Customers

Is this taking soo long to search because i did not use yeld(), soo that
windows / Novel events did not run ??

After a lot of shouting to the Novell experrt that (Fine tuned the system,
put in a new netw. protocoll etc etc.. the fact remains its painfully slow.)
By all means, the error could bee my sloppy code, but runs fine with one
user connected ? Again Im Opening the files in shared mode using Share() not
Open().

Regards Tor-Bjarne Henriksen - Norway ...

Mon, 11 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Clarion Seems Incredibly slow on Novell v4.11 Clarion or Novel ??
FWIW,

I've seen this advice before and while appropriate for MS networking,
I've never had a problem with this in the Novell world.  Novell clients
seem to simply work better than MS clients without fussing with
opportunistic locking and/or cacheing.

Al

Quote:

> I have seen many people using OPPS Locks, Client side CACHING... - not
> a good idea for Network applications...

Tue, 12 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Clarion Seems Incredibly slow on Novell v4.11 Clarion or Novel ??
don't know about the network issues.
Certainly setting up a view first and doing a next(view) would be quicker
than your nested loops.

Quote:
> Hi there .. Using C4b - Lagacy

> My Files are opened in share mode, My FileNames are global Cstring vars,
my
> Program.exe is local data on netw disk,and they are keyed correct.. Also
its
> a 32Bit application,  Using the TPS File driver,but seperate datafiles.
Also
> installed are Netw 32Bit clients . 10Mbit cars & Cable ..

> Other non CLient/Server applications (witch i stopped for the moment
letting
> clarion have all resources is working fine ? )

> I've timed a search with one user connected - the search took 14Sec  (2
sec
> on my development PC<g>).. With 2 or more users it takes 8 minutes and 49
> Secs??!! (I only got 480 . records in my customer file and approx 500 in
the
> contact file)

> The type of PC's i use is Pentiums none with less than 300/450 Mhz & 32/64
> Mb ram.

> I've developed an search witch only reads through Some records for the
> example lets say somting like
> set(Customer)
>     Loop(Customers)
>     Nomemo(Customer)
>     Next(Customer)
>        Con:Cust_Link = Cust:Custno
>        Set(Con:Lnk,Con:Lnk) ! --- Set(Key,key)
>        Loop(COntacts)
>         Next(Contact)
>             IF ...  meets criteria then ... add too mem queue ..
>        END !Loop Contacts
>    END! Loop Customers

> Is this taking soo long to search because i did not use yeld(), soo that
> windows / Novel events did not run ??

> After a lot of shouting to the Novell experrt that (Fine tuned the system,
> put in a new netw. protocoll etc etc.. the fact remains its painfully
slow.)
> By all means, the error could bee my sloppy code, but runs fine with one
> user connected ? Again Im Opening the files in shared mode using Share()
not
> Open().

> Regards Tor-Bjarne Henriksen - Norway ...

Tue, 12 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Clarion Seems Incredibly slow on Novell v4.11 Clarion or Novel ??
Try Network template by Keystone computer ressources.
http://www.keystonecr.com

Cdt,
RLC

--
Luc RAGUEL
Media Plus Consultant

Quote:
> don't know about the network issues.
> Certainly setting up a view first and doing a next(view) would be quicker
> than your nested loops.

> > Hi there .. Using C4b - Lagacy

> > My Files are opened in share mode, My FileNames are global Cstring vars,
> my
> > Program.exe is local data on netw disk,and they are keyed correct.. Also
> its
> > a 32Bit application,  Using the TPS File driver,but seperate datafiles.
> Also
> > installed are Netw 32Bit clients . 10Mbit cars & Cable ..

> > Other non CLient/Server applications (witch i stopped for the moment
> letting
> > clarion have all resources is working fine ? )

> > I've timed a search with one user connected - the search took 14Sec  (2
> sec
> > on my development PC<g>).. With 2 or more users it takes 8 minutes and
49
> > Secs??!! (I only got 480 . records in my customer file and approx 500 in
> the
> > contact file)

> > The type of PC's i use is Pentiums none with less than 300/450 Mhz &
32/64
> > Mb ram.

> > I've developed an search witch only reads through Some records for the
> > example lets say somting like
> > set(Customer)
> >     Loop(Customers)
> >     Nomemo(Customer)
> >     Next(Customer)
> >        Con:Cust_Link = Cust:Custno
> >        Set(Con:Lnk,Con:Lnk) ! --- Set(Key,key)
> >        Loop(COntacts)
> >         Next(Contact)
> >             IF ...  meets criteria then ... add too mem queue ..
> >        END !Loop Contacts
> >    END! Loop Customers

> > Is this taking soo long to search because i did not use yeld(), soo that
> > windows / Novel events did not run ??

> > After a lot of shouting to the Novell experrt that (Fine tuned the
system,
> > put in a new netw. protocoll etc etc.. the fact remains its painfully
> slow.)
> > By all means, the error could bee my sloppy code, but runs fine with one
> > user connected ? Again Im Opening the files in shared mode using Share()
> not
> > Open().

> > Regards Tor-Bjarne Henriksen - Norway ...

Thu, 21 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Clarion application in Novel Netware

2. List Totalling-Automatic Column Totals-Clarion Magazine (11/00)

3. Clarion Third Party Profile Exchange - May 11 2001

4. Clarion Magazine Update: January 11, 2000

5. Clarion Magazine Weekly Summary For May 11-17, 2003

6. Clarion Magazine Weekly Summary For August 11-17, 2002

7. Clarion Online, Issue 11, is now available!

8. Clarion Magazine Update - July 11, 2000

9. Clarion Third Party Profile Exchange - Update - March 11 2002

10. Clarion Magazine Weekly Summary For August 5-11, 2001

11. CLARION?CLARION!CLARION!!

12. Not quite Clarion related - but seems to be