Clarion - 32bit application slower than 16bit 
Author Message
 Clarion - 32bit application slower than 16bit

Hi,

I have just converted a 16bit Clarion 2003 Legacy application to a
32bit Clarion5.5 Legacy application (I have not altered any
application code).  The 32bit application appears to be running
noticeable slower than the old 16bit version (on the same machine).  I
have made sure the "Build Release System" flag has been set to exclude
debug code.

Any suggestions as to the cause of the drop in speed?

Thanks

Steve



Fri, 21 Jan 2005 23:24:11 GMT  
 Clarion - 32bit application slower than 16bit
32 bit is slower than 16 bit by about 50% I'd say.  Welcome to 32 bit.
jim Kane

Quote:
> Hi,

> I have just converted a 16bit Clarion 2003 Legacy application to a
> 32bit Clarion5.5 Legacy application (I have not altered any
> application code).  The 32bit application appears to be running
> noticeable slower than the old 16bit version (on the same machine).  I
> have made sure the "Build Release System" flag has been set to exclude
> debug code.

> Any suggestions as to the cause of the drop in speed?

> Thanks

> Steve



Fri, 21 Jan 2005 23:24:17 GMT  
 Clarion - 32bit application slower than 16bit
Yep.  32 bit is slower.  This is somewhat chip dependent.  Your
results may vary.  To really slow it down, use XP.

It would be a little hard to believe that you'd be able to see the
difference, tho.

Robert Wagner
Marble, Colorado (9000 ft up in the Rockies)



Fri, 21 Jan 2005 23:24:57 GMT  
 Clarion - 32bit application slower than 16bit
Excuse my ignorance Jim,  but could you give a brief explaination as to why
this is the case?

Thanks

Steve


Quote:
> 32 bit is slower than 16 bit by about 50% I'd say.  Welcome to 32 bit.
> jim Kane


> > Hi,

> > I have just converted a 16bit Clarion 2003 Legacy application to a
> > 32bit Clarion5.5 Legacy application (I have not altered any
> > application code).  The 32bit application appears to be running
> > noticeable slower than the old 16bit version (on the same machine).  I
> > have made sure the "Build Release System" flag has been set to exclude
> > debug code.

> > Any suggestions as to the cause of the drop in speed?

> > Thanks

> > Steve



Fri, 21 Jan 2005 23:25:02 GMT  
 Clarion - 32bit application slower than 16bit
The 16 bit memory management is faster by design. Memory jumps are
more efficient with 64k blocks of segment:offset addressing.

The 32 bit memory management is done with one big jump - less code,
but slower.

Quote:

> Hi,

> I have just converted a 16bit Clarion 2003 Legacy application to a
> 32bit Clarion5.5 Legacy application (I have not altered any
> application code).  The 32bit application appears to be running
> noticeable slower than the old 16bit version (on the same machine).  I
> have made sure the "Build Release System" flag has been set to exclude
> debug code.

> Any suggestions as to the cause of the drop in speed?

> Thanks

> Steve

--
 Randy Goodhew
 ---[ eQ ]---


Fri, 21 Jan 2005 23:25:12 GMT  
 Clarion - 32bit application slower than 16bit
Thanks for the info Randy.  I have found your assistance/explanations
extremely valuable since the days of the CPD and the Clarion Technical
Journal!

Regards

Steve


Quote:
> The 16 bit memory management is faster by design. Memory jumps are
> more efficient with 64k blocks of segment:offset addressing.

> The 32 bit memory management is done with one big jump - less code,
> but slower.


> > Hi,

> > I have just converted a 16bit Clarion 2003 Legacy application to a
> > 32bit Clarion5.5 Legacy application (I have not altered any
> > application code).  The 32bit application appears to be running
> > noticeable slower than the old 16bit version (on the same machine).  I
> > have made sure the "Build Release System" flag has been set to exclude
> > debug code.

> > Any suggestions as to the cause of the drop in speed?

> > Thanks

> > Steve

> --
>  Randy Goodhew
>  ---[ eQ ]---



Fri, 21 Jan 2005 23:25:32 GMT  
 Clarion - 32bit application slower than 16bit
mostly slower due to the larger address space.  In 16 bit most addresses
were 16 bit and limited to 64K. In 32 bit all addresses are 32 bit so more
bytes have to be loaded to process most assembler instructions.  What you
get in exchange is the ability to exceed 64K with all kinds of things
without having to resort to some sort of odd paging.  Much cleaner assembler
code but much more of it byte wise to execute.  Processes get faster than
software takes back the speed.  Intel vs Microsoft - will we ever see a true
speed increase.
Jim Kane

Quote:
> Excuse my ignorance Jim,  but could you give a brief explaination as to
why
> this is the case?

> Thanks

> Steve



> > 32 bit is slower than 16 bit by about 50% I'd say.  Welcome to 32 bit.
> > jim Kane


> > > Hi,

> > > I have just converted a 16bit Clarion 2003 Legacy application to a
> > > 32bit Clarion5.5 Legacy application (I have not altered any
> > > application code).  The 32bit application appears to be running
> > > noticeable slower than the old 16bit version (on the same machine).  I
> > > have made sure the "Build Release System" flag has been set to exclude
> > > debug code.

> > > Any suggestions as to the cause of the drop in speed?

> > > Thanks

> > > Steve



Fri, 21 Jan 2005 23:26:39 GMT  
 
 [ 7 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. 32bit application slower than 16bit

2. Problem: Changing from 16bit to 32bit

3. Going from 16bit to 32bit

4. 16bit to 32bit conversion

5. 32bit runtime errors - 16bit runs fim

6. 32bit vs 16bit

7. Detecting 16bit or 32bit OS

8. Help: 16bit or 32bit-dll

9. 32bit menu vs 16bit

10. SecWin 16bit & 32bit

11. Database Drivers 16bit or 32bit

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software