Importing ASCII File-HELP
Author Message
 Importing ASCII File-HELP

Anyone Please,

I'm converting a large ascii file into a Topspeed file. I can see the file
using C5EE source editor and the fields have fixed widths in the view. When I
run the conversion program after the first couple of fields the data does not
convert correctly. There is a very small figure '3' (not full size) between the
fields but I don't know how to test for the character. The is originally
downloaded form mainframe system. If the record read in would maintain the
fixed field widths it would work.

Anyone have any ideas or know what I can do.

Thanks
Jim

Sat, 14 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Importing ASCII File-HELP
If you have CSCN (Old DOS utility with CPD 21.10 and before), you can
fire up a DOS prompt and CSCN the file. Looking at it you will get the
HEX value for the ASCII character. Just convert from hex (Or don't and
append a h) and you have the value to check for.

HTH!

P.S. If you don't have CSCN, just chop out a couple K worth of the file
and EMail it to me. I'll look for the field seperator and let you know
its value.

Quote:

> Anyone Please,

> I'm converting a large ascii file into a Topspeed file. I can see the file
> using C5EE source editor and the fields have fixed widths in the view. When I
> run the conversion program after the first couple of fields the data does not
> convert correctly. There is a very small figure '3' (not full size) between the
> fields but I don't know how to test for the character. The is originally
> downloaded form mainframe system. If the record read in would maintain the
> fixed field widths it would work.

> Anyone have any ideas or know what I can do.

> Thanks
> Jim

Sat, 14 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Importing ASCII File-HELP
Hi Jim,

Quote:
>convert correctly. There is a very small figure '3' (not full size) between the
>fields but I don't know how to test for the character. The is originally
>downloaded form mainframe system. If the record read in would maintain the
>fixed field widths it would work.

The small 3 is character <0179> in the ansi character set.  If each
field is fixed lenght this would be very easy with string slicing.

Best regards,

Arnor Baldvinsson
[Team Topspeed - Internet Connect]
Allerup Edb
Denmark

http://www.icetips.com  (http://199.34.26.68)
UIN nr.: 2428601

Sat, 14 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Importing ASCII File-HELP
If it's a one-time import, open the file with any text editor and do a
search and replace to anything you like.

--

Sun, 15 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Importing ASCII File-HELP

Quote:
>The small 3 is character <0179> in the ansi character set.  If each
>field is fixed lenght this would be very easy with string slicing.

Jim

You can determine that the small 3 is character <0179> by using the
Character Map that comes with Windows.

Regards
Malcolm Collett
------------------------------
mcollett AT iafrica DOT com
==============================

Sun, 15 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Importing ASCII File-HELP
You can use the DOS file also.  Use a group to
declare the field lengths.
Quote:

> Anyone Please,

> I'm converting a large ascii file into a Topspeed file. I can see the file
> using C5EE source editor and the fields have fixed widths in the view. When I
> run the conversion program after the first couple of fields the data does not
> convert correctly. There is a very small figure '3' (not full size) between the
> fields but I don't know how to test for the character. The is originally
> downloaded form mainframe system. If the record read in would maintain the
> fixed field widths it would work.

> Anyone have any ideas or know what I can do.

> Thanks
> Jim

Mon, 23 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Trouble importing ascii file into .tps database file.

2. importing ascii file

3. Importing Ascii File

4. Importing from an Ascii File

5. Importing and appending ASCII files...

6. Import ASCII data into a DBV file

7. clipper code to import ASCII to a .dbf file

8. Reading fortran text files / Parsing ascii files/ Help!!

9. Need converter program to translate ascii to ebcdic in mixes ascii/binary file

10. Import Data With File Import

11. Accessing variables created after import in imported files

12. help getting pieces of data from ascii flat file