HELP! LynkSys 4-Port DSL Router
Author Message
 HELP! LynkSys 4-Port DSL Router

Heavenes Folks - I must be missing something simple.
Got the LinkSys 4-Port Router sort of working.

1) I am hooked up to RoadRunner as my cable provider.
2) Yahoo connects up okay.
3) Web browsing is okay.
4) Mail and Newsgroups DO NOT connect.

What Have I missed?

Thanks In Advance.
Enjoy!
Roberto Artigas Jr

Learning 12 new things everyday.

Mon, 02 Jun 2003 22:06:38 GMT
 HELP! LynkSys 4-Port DSL Router
The LinkSys is an excellent product.  I use here and several other small biz
clients with no problems.  Connect to the Linksys admin console and make
sure you have the ports for mail and news open, assuming of course you want
them open.  Off the top of my head, you need POP3 - Port 110, SMTP port 25,
and News, Port 119.  You can also reset to defaults, which in newer Linksys
models have these ports open.  Also, see their online web help, it is
excellent and very complete.

Steve Mull

Quote:
> Heavenes Folks - I must be missing something simple.
> Got the LinkSys 4-Port Router sort of working.

> 1) I am hooked up to RoadRunner as my cable provider.
> 2) Yahoo connects up okay.
> 3) Web browsing is okay.
> 4) Mail and Newsgroups DO NOT connect.

> What Have I missed?

> Thanks In Advance.
> Enjoy!
> Roberto Artigas Jr

> Learning 12 new things everyday.

Mon, 02 Jun 2003 22:37:41 GMT
 HELP! LynkSys 4-Port DSL Router
Heavenes Stephen - Thanks for the response.

It was a problem with the servers. Mea Culpa.

pop-server -> pop-server.midsouth.rr.com
smtp-server -> smtp-server.midsouth.rr.com
news-server -> news-server.midsouth.rr.com

Once the servers where fully pathed everything worked correctly.

I hope this will help someone out there.
Asides from the little setup problem everything went without a hitch.
I am impressed with the boxes. They --are-- plug-an-play.

Enjoy!
Roberto Artigas Jr

Quote:
> The LinkSys is an excellent product.  I use here and several other small
biz
> clients with no problems.  Connect to the Linksys admin console and make
> sure you have the ports for mail and news open, assuming of course you
want
> them open.  Off the top of my head, you need POP3 - Port 110, SMTP port
25,
> and News, Port 119.  You can also reset to defaults, which in newer
Linksys
> models have these ports open.  Also, see their online web help, it is
> excellent and very complete.

> Steve Mull

> > Heavenes Folks - I must be missing something simple.
> > Got the LinkSys 4-Port Router sort of working.

> > 1) I am hooked up to RoadRunner as my cable provider.
> > 2) Yahoo connects up okay.
> > 3) Web browsing is okay.
> > 4) Mail and Newsgroups DO NOT connect.

> > What Have I missed?

> > Thanks In Advance.
> > Enjoy!
> > Roberto Artigas Jr

> > Learning 12 new things everyday.

Tue, 03 Jun 2003 00:19:40 GMT

1. ANNOUNCE: router-stats v1.3 - A graphical router statistics package

2. ANNOUNCE: router-stats v1.2 - A graphical router statistics package

3. ANNOUNCE: router-stats v1.1 - A graphical router statistics package

4. Need help - expect script: Copy a file from tftp server to cisco router flash

5. Cable/DSL wireless Router - Linksys, D-Link or others ?

6. Conference on Domain-Specific Languages (DSL) - Call for Papersj

7. USENIX Conference on Domain-Specific Languages (DSL)

8. Hotel Deadline Sept 22 - USENIX Conf on Domain-Specific Languages (DSL)

9. USENIX Conference on Domain-Specific Languages (DSL) - Conf Program

10. USENIX Conf on Domain-Specific Languages (DSL) - Conference Program

11. Papers due 6/13 - Conference on Domain-Specific Languages (DSL)

12. Conference on Domain-Specific Languages (DSL) - Call for Papers