.Hlp File Size - Help Requested!
Author Message
 .Hlp File Size - Help Requested!

Greetings all,

  I'm having a problem with my help tool compressing my help file
project. I'm using Wysi-Help; I have 59 topics defined, and the Win95
compiled file (compression set to HIGH) is over 19Mb in size! If I turn
the compression off the resultant help file is only 59KB larger!!!

  Am I doing something wrong? Is this a bug with the Win95 help compiler
(just d/l from microsoft.com yesterday)? If I pkzip the .BMP files the
zip file is only 800KB in size..

  I don't care to distribute a 19Mb help file when my exe/dll files
combined are only 1.5Mb in size.. Seems rather silly to me.

  I did try recompiling/regenerating the whole thing with Help Scribble
and the .Hlp file size was identical, so it can't be Wysi-Help. My
forehead is getting flatter, so I am open to any and ALL suggestions.

Thank you!
Scott Daughtry

Tue, 16 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 .Hlp File Size - Help Requested!
Scott,

Your problem resides with size of your images. Large BMPs are generally the
result of doing a hi-res screen capture (say, 24 bit color). I would suggest
reducing the data type of your images to 8 bit (256 colors), or 4 bit. Most
decent graphic programs can do this for you. If you have Microsoft's hotspot
editor (shed.exe), open your 8 bit BMPs with it than save them as shg files.
The shg files will be smaller, with no visible loss of quality (you mileage
will vary).

Regards,

Mark

Quote:

>Greetings all,

>  I'm having a problem with my help tool compressing my help file
>project. I'm using Wysi-Help; I have 59 topics defined, and the Win95
>compiled file (compression set to HIGH) is over 19Mb in size! If I turn
>the compression off the resultant help file is only 59KB larger!!!

>  Am I doing something wrong? Is this a bug with the Win95 help compiler
>(just d/l from microsoft.com yesterday)? If I pkzip the .BMP files the
>zip file is only 800KB in size..

>  I don't care to distribute a 19Mb help file when my exe/dll files
>combined are only 1.5Mb in size.. Seems rather silly to me.

>  I did try recompiling/regenerating the whole thing with Help Scribble
>and the .Hlp file size was identical, so it can't be Wysi-Help. My
>forehead is getting flatter, so I am open to any and ALL suggestions.

>Thank you!
>Scott Daughtry

----------------------
sig under construction

Wed, 17 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 .Hlp File Size - Help Requested!
Hi Mark,

  Your advice was on target; it sucked having to manually convert 60+ bitmaps to
.SHG files using SHED, and then deleting/reinserting images in the file but it
shrank the .Hlp from 19Mb to 2.4Mb. Still don't understand why Wysi-Help
couldn't compress the bitmap images - it always has in the past, but I am
thankful for your guidance. I can now get my program shipping instead of
sweating about bloated help files.

Thank You!
Scott

Quote:

> Scott,

> Your problem resides with size of your images. Large BMPs are generally the
> result of doing a hi-res screen capture (say, 24 bit color). I would suggest
> reducing the data type of your images to 8 bit (256 colors), or 4 bit. Most
> decent graphic programs can do this for you. If you have Microsoft's hotspot
> editor (shed.exe), open your 8 bit BMPs with it than save them as shg files.
> The shg files will be smaller, with no visible loss of quality (you mileage
> will vary).

> Regards,

> Mark

> >Greetings all,

> >  I'm having a problem with my help tool compressing my help file
> >project. I'm using Wysi-Help; I have 59 topics defined, and the Win95
> >compiled file (compression set to HIGH) is over 19Mb in size! If I turn
> >the compression off the resultant help file is only 59KB larger!!!

> >  Am I doing something wrong? Is this a bug with the Win95 help compiler
> >(just d/l from microsoft.com yesterday)? If I pkzip the .BMP files the
> >zip file is only 800KB in size..

> >  I don't care to distribute a 19Mb help file when my exe/dll files
> >combined are only 1.5Mb in size.. Seems rather silly to me.

> >  I did try recompiling/regenerating the whole thing with Help Scribble
> >and the .Hlp file size was identical, so it can't be Wysi-Help. My
> >forehead is getting flatter, so I am open to any and ALL suggestions.

> >Thank you!
> >Scott Daughtry

> ----------------------
> sig under construction

Wed, 17 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 .Hlp File Size - Help Requested!
Scott,

Glad to help.

You're always going to have a two step process, unless you have a capture
program that can handle the data type conversion. Then you can capture at
your working resolution, and convert to a low-res data type in-place within
the capture program. Ulead Systems offers such a product. Their Web site is
at <http://www.ulead.com/>. Their capture program, which they call Screen
Capture, is at <http://www.webutilities.com/sc/sc_main.htm>.

Regards,

Mark

Quote:

>Hi Mark,

>  Your advice was on target; it sucked having to manually convert 60+ bitmaps to
>.SHG files using SHED, and then deleting/reinserting images in the file but it
>shrank the .Hlp from 19Mb to 2.4Mb. Still don't understand why Wysi-Help
>couldn't compress the bitmap images - it always has in the past, but I am
>thankful for your guidance. I can now get my program shipping instead of
>sweating about bloated help files.

>Thank You!
>Scott

>> Scott,

>> Your problem resides with size of your images. Large BMPs are generally the
>> result of doing a hi-res screen capture (say, 24 bit color). I would suggest
>> reducing the data type of your images to 8 bit (256 colors), or 4 bit. Most
>> decent graphic programs can do this for you. If you have Microsoft's hotspot
>> editor (shed.exe), open your 8 bit BMPs with it than save them as shg files.
>> The shg files will be smaller, with no visible loss of quality (you mileage
>> will vary).

>> Regards,

>> Mark

>> >Greetings all,

>> >  I'm having a problem with my help tool compressing my help file
>> >project. I'm using Wysi-Help; I have 59 topics defined, and the Win95
>> >compiled file (compression set to HIGH) is over 19Mb in size! If I turn
>> >the compression off the resultant help file is only 59KB larger!!!

>> >  Am I doing something wrong? Is this a bug with the Win95 help compiler
>> >(just d/l from microsoft.com yesterday)? If I pkzip the .BMP files the
>> >zip file is only 800KB in size..

>> >  I don't care to distribute a 19Mb help file when my exe/dll files
>> >combined are only 1.5Mb in size.. Seems rather silly to me.

>> >  I did try recompiling/regenerating the whole thing with Help Scribble
>> >and the .Hlp file size was identical, so it can't be Wysi-Help. My
>> >forehead is getting flatter, so I am open to any and ALL suggestions.

>> >Thank you!
>> >Scott Daughtry

>> ----------------------
>> sig under construction

----------------------
sig under construction

Wed, 17 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. File C55Help.hlp in C55Pro Beta 1 or CR2 - Please help me

2. Help files - linking back to Delphi.Hlp?

3. Free VHDL help file (.hlp) available

4. Converting Clipper 5.2e NG files to Windows .HLP files

5. File Size, Volume Size

6. How can I know the .EXE file name, file date, file size

7. .HLP files

8. Clarion 3.1 .hlp Files

9. .hlp file maker

10. Jpeg files in .hlp

11. writing .hlp files - VW2

12. How Can I run a .hlp file with clarion