Bizzare slowing down in forms ... 
Author Message
 Bizzare slowing down in forms ...

Help!
I have a form which is set to add another record when the user completes it.
It has simple code in the selected embeds eg "hea:date = loc:date" which
sets defaults as the user arrives at the field.
Problem is, that as time goes on, these fields take longer and longer to
automatically fill.  The user enters a field and goes to the next field,
which should be filled in with a default value.  It can take up to a couple
of minutes for that value to appear and it's driving me nuts!
The program is not{*filter*} - you can type in a new value, look up a table
etc.  It's just that the selected embed code seems to take forever to
execute.
Any ideas where I start looking ?
Thanks,
Dave Beggs


Fri, 25 Feb 2005 13:39:46 GMT  
 Bizzare slowing down in forms ...
Hi,

Quote:
> Any ideas where I start looking ?

You could start to look in the embedded code if there are any parts which can
be expected to take a while, e.g. calculating a total by summing a field from
all the records in a file.

With 'after a while' do you mean during 1 session (which might indicate a
memory shortage) or since the installing of the program (which might relate to
the growing number of records in files).

HTH

Peter Rens
RADventure BV



Fri, 25 Feb 2005 13:40:01 GMT  
 Bizzare slowing down in forms ...
David

Are you doing anything with autoinc?  Also is this Legacy or ABC?

--
Ian Holdsworth
Senior Programmer / Assistant IT Manager
Response Analysis & Mailing Ltd

---------------------------------------------------

Direct Line:      +44 (0) 20 8880 8866
Switch Board:  +44 (0) 20 8880 8140
Fax:                 +44 (0) 0870 134 0987


Web Site:         www.ram-ltd.co.uk



Quote:
> Help!
> I have a form which is set to add another record when the user completes
it.
> It has simple code in the selected embeds eg "hea:date = loc:date" which
> sets defaults as the user arrives at the field.
> Problem is, that as time goes on, these fields take longer and longer to
> automatically fill.  The user enters a field and goes to the next field,
> which should be filled in with a default value.  It can take up to a
couple
> of minutes for that value to appear and it's driving me nuts!
> The program is not{*filter*} - you can type in a new value, look up a table
> etc.  It's just that the selected embed code seems to take forever to
> execute.
> Any ideas where I start looking ?
> Thanks,
> Dave Beggs



Fri, 25 Feb 2005 13:40:02 GMT  
 Bizzare slowing down in forms ...
Hi Peter,

Quote:
> You could start to look in the embedded code if there are any parts which
can
> be expected to take a while, e.g. calculating a total by summing a field
from
> all the records in a file.

Nothing like that, although it does post an event to anotyer thread, but
commenting out that code made no difference.

Quote:
> With 'after a while' do you mean during 1 session (which might indicate a
> memory shortage) or since the installing of the program (which might
relate to
> the growing number of records in files).

'after a while' means in this case during a session.  I guess it could be a
memory shortage, but the program is still quite responsive - you can type in
a new value and all works well.  Its just that it takes ages to fill in the
default stuff.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Dave Beggs



Fri, 25 Feb 2005 13:40:09 GMT  
 Bizzare slowing down in forms ...
Ian,
No auto inc
C5bABC.
the only extension template on the form is 3 instances of pdlookups.  i have
lots of similar forms with no probs.  I guess I'll just re-do it from
scratch!

Thanks for responding.
Cheers!

Dave Beggs

Quote:
> David

> Are you doing anything with autoinc?  Also is this Legacy or ABC?

> --
> Ian Holdsworth
> Senior Programmer / Assistant IT Manager
> Response Analysis & Mailing Ltd

> ---------------------------------------------------

> Direct Line:      +44 (0) 20 8880 8866
> Switch Board:  +44 (0) 20 8880 8140
> Fax:                 +44 (0) 0870 134 0987


> Web Site:         www.ram-ltd.co.uk



> > Help!
> > I have a form which is set to add another record when the user completes
> it.
> > It has simple code in the selected embeds eg "hea:date = loc:date" which
> > sets defaults as the user arrives at the field.
> > Problem is, that as time goes on, these fields take longer and longer to
> > automatically fill.  The user enters a field and goes to the next field,
> > which should be filled in with a default value.  It can take up to a
> couple
> > of minutes for that value to appear and it's driving me nuts!
> > The program is not{*filter*} - you can type in a new value, look up a
table
> > etc.  It's just that the selected embed code seems to take forever to
> > execute.
> > Any ideas where I start looking ?
> > Thanks,
> > Dave Beggs



Fri, 25 Feb 2005 13:40:10 GMT  
 
 [ 5 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. vw2.5 sometimes slows down when large

2. MTIMER slows PB down

3. global floating windows slow down graphics?

4. Slow down utility ???

5. Super security slows down

6. Topspeed DB - Record Filter slow down ?!?

7. Slowing down/freezing until user interrupt & proceed

8. Report process slow down when...

9. program slows down

10. Citrix time() slow down.

11. program slows down

12. Record Filter slows down Browse Window ???

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software