Topspeed Application Certification Program
Author Message
 Topspeed Application Certification Program

Yesterday, I received the following email (see text at bottom of this
post) from Christina Downs regarding one of the new programs that
Topspeed is trying to implement. My reply to that email is as follows:

Hi Christina,

1. I am a Certified Clarion Developer, as such I feel that I am qualified
to determine whether my application is up to snuff. I have been
developing with Clarion for more than 11 years and have been doing
application development for 27 years in various languages.  I have
definitely earned my qualifications.

2. Not to detract in your program in any way, I have seen what Topspeed
personnel produce via Topspeed Consulting (not consultants but actual
Topspeed employees, at the time) and once again I feel I am more than
qualified to determine whether my application is good enough.

3. If this is to be a viable program, perhaps publishing a 'development
standards guide' for developers to develop against should be produced.
This is something that is needed in the Clarion development community.

I can understand that you are looking for new and innovative ways to
generate revenue for Topspeed but this one just doesn't seem like one
that many developers are going to jump on.

Perhaps more of Topspeed's resources could be re-focused on delivering
the 32bit IDE and some of the other features that have been promised over
the course of the last 5 years that have not been delivered as yet.

If this were to happen, your existing customers would be very happy to
recommend the product to more of their associates and colleagues.  I am
probably one of the most evangelical Clarion developers out there and do
not hesitate to recommend the product. But.. When someone asks me if it
supports COM or OLE automation or if it is a 32 bit development
environment I cannot in good faith recommend the product.  I use Clarion,
almost exclusively, for my development efforts and consistently deliver
quality products to my customers.

I am currenly, probably the single most 'published' Clarion developer on
the Internet at present.  There have been over 30,000 downloads of my
product, ClearICE Report Utility.  ( http://www.*-*-*.com/ )
and do a great deal to promote Topspeed and Clarion for Windows on my
site.  Take a look when you get the chance.

Very best wishes for success!

Ben E. Brady
Certified Clarion Developer
Microsoft Certified Professional
Visit my site: http://www.*-*-*.com/

Email message from Christina Downs, Sales Manager, Topspeed Consulting.

Dear Clarion Developer,

The majority of our customers are professional developers that develop
either vertical market applications or work on a "project by project"
basis.

In either case, would it not be of significant benefit for the publishers
of the software to look over your applications and give it a "seal of
approval?"

Introducing the TopSpeed Application Review. Send in your application to
TopSpeed and we will perform a thorough review of your application.
Together we will look over the application and provide a written critique
on areas where we feel your application could be improved upon as well as
tips for possible improvements.

If your application then meets all of TopSpeed's standards, we will
provide a Certificate stating precisely that in addition to the report on
your application.

Just think....what better way of promoting your applications than by
getting a seal of approval from the very people that built the software.

For more information on this new service, please contact Christina Downs,
Manager of Consulting Sales at (954) 785-4555 extension 190 or email her

Tue, 03 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Topspeed Application Certification Program
Hi Ben,  Good answer to Christina, TopSpeed!

If TopSpeed has time and energy to "perform a thorough review of  other
developers' applications and look over the applications and provide written
critiques on areas where they feel the applications could be improved upon
as well as tips for possible improvements", I think they'd better spend the
time and energy to improve and deliver their product according to the spec's
and promises ASAP before they start losing the impatient developers.  You
know that developers are constantly searching for better products.  Look at
the number of messages about WinDev in Clarion NG.   - Tong

Quote:
> [...]

> your application.

> Just think....what better way of promoting your applications than by
> getting a seal of approval from the very people that built the software.

> For more information on this new service, please contact Christina Downs,
> Manager of Consulting Sales at (954) 785-4555 extension 190 or email her

Tue, 03 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Topspeed Application Certification Program
Quote:

> If TopSpeed has time and energy to "perform a thorough review of  other
> developers' applications and look over the applications and provide written
> critiques on areas where they feel the applications could be improved upon
> as well as tips for possible improvements", I think they'd better spend the
> time and energy to improve and deliver their product according to the spec's

WELL SAID! <g>

-- Craig (The Data Ferret)
http://www.pcferret.com/ for RARS,
BlackICE ClearICE NeoTrace links
Using Virtual Access 5.01 build 301 in Win98
CPD 2.1 CDD 3.x C5WE L&L LSP SecWin
CPCS CCS CLACom WinEvent CWA CM2 CSS AppMan
JANUS/Ada 83 95 Fort Cach
"Do not meddle in the affairs of FERRETS..."

Tue, 03 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Topspeed Application Certification Program
Well done to whoever at Topspeed for the idea to
enhance their service. I can't think of a single reason
to complain about this. Just because the R&D
department is not up to scratch does not mean every
other project in other departments or every new
idea should get scratched! Good grief!

The saying goes "Damned if you do, damned if you
don't". It applies here - if they are quiet and do nothing
all sorts of crud is published here about "they are
doing nothing and are sinking" etc. The moment TS
stick it's head out, some bright spark takes that as an
opportunity to take a swipe at them.

Welcome the initiative. It is initiative that makes for
growth and change; suppress it, as it is being attempted
here, and the company dies.

--
Best Regards
James Cooke

Tue, 03 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Topspeed Application Certification Program
Hello!

I agree that this service is not for everyone, but I can see some benefit
for myself.  As a part timer in the use of Clarion (I'm a CPA by day..and
lately by night as well...but that's another story) I might use this service
to have someone give me a second opinion on my project. I'm sure there is
always a little room for improvement

While my customer approval is what I care about most, some customers will
like what they are given as long as it works...perhaps not knowing the
technical issues going into the program.  I want it to work too, but I want
it to be done right technically.  I'm sure there are times when everyone has
kludged things together to make it work, even when the code wasn't pretty to
look at.  Usually there are other (and better) ways to do things.

I'm not sure we should condemn Topspeed for this effort, as it could be a
benefit to lots of people.  And, I doubt if they are removing resources from
product development and tech support to do this (or at least I hope not)

Just my 2 cents worth....

Jeff

Quote:
> Yesterday, I received the following email (see text at bottom of this
> post) from Christina Downs regarding one of the new programs that
> Topspeed is trying to implement. My reply to that email is as follows:

> Hi Christina,

> 1. I am a Certified Clarion Developer, as such I feel that I am qualified
> to determine whether my application is up to snuff. I have been
> developing with Clarion for more than 11 years and have been doing
> application development for 27 years in various languages.  I have
> definitely earned my qualifications.

> 2. Not to detract in your program in any way, I have seen what Topspeed
> personnel produce via Topspeed Consulting (not consultants but actual
> Topspeed employees, at the time) and once again I feel I am more than
> qualified to determine whether my application is good enough.

> 3. If this is to be a viable program, perhaps publishing a 'development
> standards guide' for developers to develop against should be produced.
> This is something that is needed in the Clarion development community.

> I can understand that you are looking for new and innovative ways to
> generate revenue for Topspeed but this one just doesn't seem like one
> that many developers are going to jump on.

> Perhaps more of Topspeed's resources could be re-focused on delivering
> the 32bit IDE and some of the other features that have been promised over
> the course of the last 5 years that have not been delivered as yet.

> If this were to happen, your existing customers would be very happy to
> recommend the product to more of their associates and colleagues.  I am
> probably one of the most evangelical Clarion developers out there and do
> not hesitate to recommend the product. But.. When someone asks me if it
> supports COM or OLE automation or if it is a 32 bit development
> environment I cannot in good faith recommend the product.  I use Clarion,
> almost exclusively, for my development efforts and consistently deliver
> quality products to my customers.

> I am currenly, probably the single most 'published' Clarion developer on
> the Internet at present.  There have been over 30,000 downloads of my
> product, ClearICE Report Utility.  ( http://www.clariondeveloper.com )
> and do a great deal to promote Topspeed and Clarion for Windows on my
> site.  Take a look when you get the chance.

> Very best wishes for success!

> Ben E. Brady
> Certified Clarion Developer
> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Visit my site: http://www.clariondeveloper.com

Tue, 03 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Topspeed Application Certification Program
Hi Ben

I dont see much value in this for my business (as a vertical market
developer), mostly for the same reasons Robert P noted, however I do
see some value in this for the corporate CW shop trying to establish
some sort of standards and perhaps even get things off the ground
properly.

OTOH, I also think the requests for Clarion development guidelines are
quite valid. Without the guidelines used by whoever does the
certification (and there must be ONE set), those who might use the
certifcation process have little more than a piece of paper.

---
Mark Riffey
Granite Bear Development
http://www.granitebear.com

Software for professional photography studios
and non-profit organizations

Tue, 03 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Topspeed Application Certification Program
Hi Jeff,

OK,  please explain.
--
Regards,
Earl

Quote:
> Wrong

> >Actually... doesn't "the Clarion way" which uses templates accomplish the
> >same thing??  You are going to get "standard apps" done in a "standard
way"
> >since you use templates and also if you use the Wizards and Wizatrons...
> >right???

> Jeff Slarve  [Team Topspeed]
> http://www.jssoftware.com

Wed, 04 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Topspeed Application Certification Program
Hi,

I wonder if they have nothing else to do as to get involved in customers
software. First I would implement a better technical support (for the
moment there is nothing). See all that other companies (GAP, PCSoft,
Keil...).
A newsgroup is fine and its o.k. if you get an answer there. But
imagine, I myself sell applications to my customers and if they have any
problems, I will tell them in the helpfile to consult any other
customers from mine to get the problem solved. Unthinkable, right? My 2
cents or Euro.

Erik

Wed, 04 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Topspeed Application Certification Program
Earl -

Not much to it. I don't know about you, but none of the applications
that I write are as simple as plain old browses/forms that result from
the wizards.

There is a myriad of things that developers would do differently given
the exact same tools, using the exact same templates. From database
design, to interface flow,  to window design, to underlying code, no
two developers will end up with identical products.

If that were true, then everyone would be doing it and there wouldn't
be a shortage of decent developers.

Quote:
>Hi Jeff,

>OK,  please explain.
>--
>Regards,
>Earl
>www.kwiksystems.com

>> Wrong

>> >Actually... doesn't "the Clarion way" which uses templates accomplish the
>> >same thing??  You are going to get "standard apps" done in a "standard
>way"
>> >since you use templates and also if you use the Wizards and Wizatrons...
>> >right???

>> Jeff Slarve  [Team Topspeed]
>> http://www.jssoftware.com

Jeff Slarve  [Team Topspeed]
http://www.jssoftware.com

Wed, 04 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Topspeed Application Certification Program
Not all of us are operating at the same high level.

I could see this service being a way that a leery customer whose never heard
of Clarion gets the nerve to permit a project to be done in it.   "Someone
else says that it is OK, I can sleep well now.  Here is your money."

I personally have always found that the customer is the final decider as to
what is working.  You can have total spagetti logic that is masterfully
assembled that the user is very happy with because it produces what they
want.  You can have crisp, clean "approved way to do it" code that the user
hates because it lacks needed fuctionality.

    This service has its place in the same way that being a certified clarion
developer has its place.  Not everyone needs it, but some will find it
helpful and cheap enough to do.
        Tim

Quote:

> [...]

> approval?"

> Introducing the TopSpeed Application Review. Send in your application to
> TopSpeed and we will perform a thorough review of your application.
> Together we will look over the application and provide a written critique
> on areas where we feel your application could be improved upon as well as
> tips for possible improvements.

> If your application then meets all of TopSpeed's standards, we will
> provide a Certificate stating precisely that in addition to the report on
> your application.

> Just think....what better way of promoting your applications than by
> getting a seal of approval from the very people that built the software.

> For more information on this new service, please contact Christina Downs,
> Manager of Consulting Sales at (954) 785-4555 extension 190 or email her

Tim Phillips
Vermont Agency of Natural Resources
Department of Environmental Conservation

Fri, 06 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Topspeed Application Certification Program
I'm just wondering, what might be Topspeed's next
hit product line. Hey, how about application shells
for every imaginable industry?:-)

Just kidding, of course...

Best regads
Ola Pedersen

Quote:

>Yesterday, I received the following email (see text at bottom of this
>post) from Christina Downs regarding one of the new programs that
>Topspeed is trying to implement.

Fri, 06 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Topspeed Application Certification Program
Hi,

Ola,

Actually, they have gone a fair distance in that direction already.  Duke's
stuff, some 3rd party stuff and the example apps and now the ecommerce stuff
and it's examples are quite a lot IMHO.  One just needs the ingenuity to
tweak them and make them "fit".  Just "assemble" the pieces and parts.

My 02 cents.

Regards,
Earl

Quote:
> I'm just wondering, what might be Topspeed's next
> hit product line. Hey, how about application shells
> for every imaginable industry?:-)

> Just kidding, of course...

> Best regads
> Ola Pedersen

> >Yesterday, I received the following email (see text at bottom of this
> >post) from Christina Downs regarding one of the new programs that
> >Topspeed is trying to implement.

Fri, 06 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Topspeed Application Certification Program
I like the idea of standards.

The thing that scares me about this is I wonder what the cost of such a
service would be??

Quote:
> [...]

> TopSpeed and we will perform a thorough review of your application.
> Together we will look over the application and provide a written
critique
> on areas where we feel your application could be improved upon as
well as
> tips for possible improvements.

> If your application then meets all of TopSpeed's standards, we will
> provide a Certificate stating precisely that in addition to the
report on
> your application.

> Just think....what better way of promoting your applications than by
> getting a seal of approval from the very people that built the
software.

> For more information on this new service, please contact Christina
Downs,
> Manager of Consulting Sales at (954) 785-4555 extension 190 or email

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Fri, 06 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Topspeed Application Certification Program
Exactly -- They should be making money, they have no tech support team to
pay.

Dan

Quote:
> Hi,

> I wonder if they have nothing else to do as to get involved in customers
> software. First I would implement a better technical support (for the
> moment there is nothing). See all that other companies (GAP, PCSoft,
> Keil...).
> A newsgroup is fine and its o.k. if you get an answer there. But
> imagine, I myself sell applications to my customers and if they have any
> problems, I will tell them in the helpfile to consult any other
> customers from mine to get the problem solved. Unthinkable, right? My 2
> cents or Euro.

> Erik

Sun, 08 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. VAST 4.0 certification program?

2. Smalltalk Certification Programs?

3. Smalltalk Certification Programs?

4. Labview Application Builder, Application uninstaller remove the complete Start Menu Program group

5. DBCS for Topspeed Clarion 3.101 DOS application

6. reading ascii file and creating topspeed file in application designer - gasman.zip (0/2)

7. Topspeed Accessoires Program changed?

8. Example Programs from Topspeed -- Its time to speekup

9. New Additions to TopSpeed Third Party Accessory Program

10. Convert Existing Program (Topspeed Driver) to MS SQL Drivers

11. Topspeed AIRS program

12. TopSpeed Releases Free Beta 2 of TopSpeed ODBC Driver