Am I missing something here?
Author Message
 Am I missing something here?

I'm in the middle of converting a file from Clarion 4  to Clarion 5 using the
ABC templates in both,  I keep coming across a consistent problem that I'm
gettting tired of working around and was wondering if anyone has had a similar
problem and may know what the fix is.  Here is a typical description of the
problem.  I've got a report that prints one record selected from a browse
table. Three parameters are passed to the report from the browse table.  Before
printing the report a window pops up allowing the user to change any of the
parameters before printing the report.  The window uses the same file as the
table and the values from the table populate the entry controls in the window
as expected, however once the window is closed, the data fields that were
changed in the window revert back to their original values.  Why is this
happening?  I've worked around this problem in the past by setting global
values and using these but I'm getting tired of creating global values
everytime I want to open a new window?  The same procedure works fine using
Clarion4.  Is this a bug in Clarion5?  If so when is it going to be fixed?  I'd
appreciate any insight into this problem.  Thank You

Mon, 04 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Am I missing something here?
Heavenes David - Normally when I need parameters in reports what I do is put
a pause control button on the progress window and set the state to 'pause'
when the progress window comes up. The pause button toggles between
pause/go. So the progress window comes up paused, I change my parameters,
and press the go button. The report then processes.
Hope That Helps,
Roberto Artigas Jr

Quote:
> I'm in the middle of converting a file from Clarion 4  to Clarion 5 using
the
> ABC templates in both,  I keep coming across a consistent problem that I'm
> gettting tired of working around and was wondering if anyone has had a
similar
> problem and may know what the fix is.  Here is a typical description of
the
> problem.  I've got a report that prints one record selected from a browse
> table. Three parameters are passed to the report from the browse table.
Before
> printing the report a window pops up allowing the user to change any of
the
> parameters before printing the report.  The window uses the same file as
the
> table and the values from the table populate the entry controls in the
window
> as expected, however once the window is closed, the data fields that were
> changed in the window revert back to their original values.  Why is this
> happening?  I've worked around this problem in the past by setting global
> values and using these but I'm getting tired of creating global values
> everytime I want to open a new window?  The same procedure works fine
using
> Clarion4.  Is this a bug in Clarion5?  If so when is it going to be fixed?
I'd
> appreciate any insight into this problem.  Thank You

Mon, 04 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Am I missing something here?
Greetings Roberto and David,

Another idea is to use a "wrapper" screen; that is, instead of
directly calling the report call a screen to get your parameters,
allow the user to modify them, and when the user clicks OK on the
window have that window call your report with its local-variable
parameters.  I do this, actually, to disguise three different
reports as one report sorted different ways.  <g> HTH
Mark Kroflich
mark(a)lists-inc.com

Quote:

> Heavenes David - Normally when I need parameters in reports what I do is put
> a pause control button on the progress window and set the state to 'pause'
> when the progress window comes up. The pause button toggles between
> pause/go. So the progress window comes up paused, I change my parameters,
> and press the go button. The report then processes.
> Hope That Helps,
> Roberto Artigas Jr

> > I'm in the middle of converting a file from Clarion 4  to Clarion 5 using
> the
> > ABC templates in both,  I keep coming across a consistent problem that I'm
> > gettting tired of working around and was wondering if anyone has had a
> similar
> > problem and may know what the fix is.  Here is a typical description of
> the
> > problem.  I've got a report that prints one record selected from a browse
> > table. Three parameters are passed to the report from the browse table.
> Before
> > printing the report a window pops up allowing the user to change any of
> the
> > parameters before printing the report.  The window uses the same file as
> the
> > table and the values from the table populate the entry controls in the
> window
> > as expected, however once the window is closed, the data fields that were
> > changed in the window revert back to their original values.  Why is this
> > happening?  I've worked around this problem in the past by setting global
> > values and using these but I'm getting tired of creating global values
> > everytime I want to open a new window?  The same procedure works fine
> using
> > Clarion4.  Is this a bug in Clarion5?  If so when is it going to be fixed?
> I'd
> > appreciate any insight into this problem.  Thank You

Mon, 04 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Am I missing something here?
I think my post has been misunderstood.  I am not having problems passing the
paramaters to the report.  The problem I am having is a variable scoping
problem.  I have a browse table that comes from a workorder file.  The
parameters that are passed to the report are wrk:quantity, wrk:CustomerName and
Wrk:PONumber as well as Wrk:WorkorderNbr.  When I open the second window the
user is allowed to change the values of the first three variables.  When the
window is opened the values of the variables are the same as they are in the
table and the entry controlls are filled as they should be.  However when the
window closes, no matter what the user has changed the values to they always
revert back to their original values and this is what is passed on to the
report.  I cannot understand why these values revert back since the window is
opened on the same thread as the table.

Mon, 04 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Am I missing something here?
Hi all,

   How is the window you popup prototyped?  I assume it is in a
separate procedure/function.

If the window is in a separate procedure the prototype should look like

WindowProcedure(*DataType X1, *DataType x2, *DataType x3)

   Dennis
    Can you "Carry the message to Garcia?"

Mon, 04 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Am I missing something here?

David,

Something changed between PE5a & PE5b.  I have placed Button(s) on
some of my forms to enter exception data in a window.  I enter the
data into my current masterfile then return to the form, however the
data that I just keyed in is not there.  I now store the record before
leaving the window and then re-read the record after returning from
the window (love spending my time on work arounds).  Hope someone can
shed a little light on what is happening.

Bob Naffziger

Quote:
>I'm in the middle of converting a file from Clarion 4  to Clarion 5 using the
>ABC templates in both,  I keep coming across a consistent problem that I'm
>gettting tired of working around and was wondering if anyone has had a similar
>problem and may know what the fix is.  Here is a typical description of the
>problem.  I've got a report that prints one record selected from a browse
>table. Three parameters are passed to the report from the browse table.  Before
>printing the report a window pops up allowing the user to change any of the
>parameters before printing the report.  The window uses the same file as the
>table and the values from the table populate the entry controls in the window
>as expected, however once the window is closed, the data fields that were
>changed in the window revert back to their original values.  Why is this
>happening?  I've worked around this problem in the past by setting global
>values and using these but I'm getting tired of creating global values
>everytime I want to open a new window?  The same procedure works fine using
>Clarion4.  Is this a bug in Clarion5?  If so when is it going to be fixed?  I'd
>appreciate any insight into this problem.  Thank You

Mon, 04 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Am I missing something here?
It is possible that the problem that you are seeing is related to changes in
the design of Clarion5B that were made to correct the Recursion errors and
bugs reported throughout the previous releases

In several questions from Customers they were indicating programming
situations where they would have a browse screen, open a window with entry
fields placed for the related browse  The response in versions before C5B
would be that whatever changes made in the entry fields would be available
upon return to the browse

In 5B the buffer value upon entry into a new procedure is stored and then
restored upon exit from the Child Procedure  So now the default behavior is
going to
"remember" the original values contained in the fields upon return from the
2nd window unless you specifically tell it to keep the new values... In C5B
if you -want- a child procedure to change the data owned by the parent then
you nominate this to be the case. In the instance of the field Entry window
you have go to the window.init method :

Access:YourFileHere.UseFile(UseType:Returns)

the values shoved into the YourFileHere file will then be returned to the
parent procedure, (browse in your case).

Note that for those procedures where the templates know what is going on (ie
forms / browses etc) the UseFile(UseType: information is filled in
automatically.  Since you are calling a Window with the Entry fields placed
to allow the user to make last minute changes prior to printing the report
the implementation of this restoration of the buffer requires your writing
the embed code to accomplish it

I hope this helps  Let me know if you have any questions or you run into
additional problems

(This information was provided by David Bayliss in response to an earlier
question from a customer )

Tommy d

--
Tom Durso
Topspeed Corporation

Quote:

>David,

>Something changed between PE5a & PE5b.  I have placed Button(s) on
>some of my forms to enter exception data in a window.  I enter the
>data into my current masterfile then return to the form, however the
>data that I just keyed in is not there.  I now store the record before
>leaving the window and then re-read the record after returning from
>the window (love spending my time on work arounds).  Hope someone can
>shed a little light on what is happening.

>Bob Naffziger

>>I'm in the middle of converting a file from Clarion 4  to Clarion 5 using
the
>>ABC templates in both,  I keep coming across a consistent problem that I'm
>>gettting tired of working around and was wondering if anyone has had a
similar
>>problem and may know what the fix is.  Here is a typical description of
the
>>problem.  I've got a report that prints one record selected from a browse
>>table. Three parameters are passed to the report from the browse table.
Before
>>printing the report a window pops up allowing the user to change any of
the
>>parameters before printing the report.  The window uses the same file as
the
>>table and the values from the table populate the entry controls in the
window
>>as expected, however once the window is closed, the data fields that were
>>changed in the window revert back to their original values.  Why is this
>>happening?  I've worked around this problem in the past by setting global
>>values and using these but I'm getting tired of creating global values
>>everytime I want to open a new window?  The same procedure works fine
using
>>Clarion4.  Is this a bug in Clarion5?  If so when is it going to be fixed?
I'd
>>appreciate any insight into this problem.  Thank You

Mon, 04 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Am I missing something here?

Quote:
>It is possible that the problem that you are seeing is related to changes in
>the design of Clarion5B that were made to correct the Recursion errors and
>bugs reported throughout the previous releases

Ah I see this isn't a bug but is in fact a new undocumented feature!  I'm happy
to know the solution to this problem but feel Clarion would be better off If
they were better at relating to their customers when fairly significant design
changes.  I'm sure this fact was documented omewhere deep in the bowels of the
README for the patch in 5B.  Its hard when Clarion changes the default behavior
that has existed for years without a significant warning.  Perhaps it would
have been better to keep the default behavior the same and give the programmer
a way to change the behavior if he needs it.  I'm sure the number of people who
expect this default behavior far exceeds the number of people who would call a
window recursively.  An even better solution might have been to include a
checkbox in an obvious place in the window template that would have allowed the
user to choose how he would like the procedure to behave upon exit.  I
understand that bugs must be fixed but not at the expense of introducing new
bugs into preexisting code.  Now that I've vented I'll go back and get rid of
all of the global variables I had to declare in order to work around this new
feature.

Wed, 06 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Am i missing something with CW5Pe?

2. Am I missing something here?

3. Clarion 4 Scroll Bars - Am I Missing Something

4. Am I missing something in forth!

5. Haskell: am I missing something?

6. GNAT.Regexp: Am I missing something?

7. Am I missing something?

8. re bug, or am I missing something?

9. itk::Toplevel and -menu - am I missing something

10. am i missing something ?

11. output buffering--am I missing something obvious?

12. clock scan problem, am I missing something