.NET & Clarion
Author Message
 .NET & Clarion

Does anybody know if Softvelocity is planning a .NET version of Clarion ?

Carl.

Tue, 23 Mar 2004 00:57:17 GMT
 .NET & Clarion
Nothing's been mentioned so far, not hints have been made etc.

--
Kind regards,
James Cooke

Does anybody know if Softvelocity is planning a .NET version of Clarion ?

Carl.

Tue, 23 Mar 2004 01:04:02 GMT
 .NET & Clarion
  I hope that SoftVelocity does not spend any time or resources on .NET
until MS has decided what they are going to do with it. The recently put
off the by two years the next version of Windows, which will be the
first .NET OS. That will be 2005. Also I have seen that .NET is closely
tied to C# and any other languages that want to run with the CLR, will
have to have the languages modified to fit into MS language rules.
  If you want .NET that bad, SV has already given you the tools to write
C# code. Just learn the template language. SV should put their focus on
updating the Template language instead of .NET

Ron

Quote:

> Does anybody know if Softvelocity is planning a .NET version of
> Clarion ? Carl.

Tue, 23 Mar 2004 03:50:57 GMT
 .NET & Clarion
But there are a lot of advantages to having Clarion on .Net.  Here a few in
my opinion

1.  32 bit IDE that SV doesn't have to mess with much
2.  Intellisense editing
3.  Easily create web forms and finally chunk the app broker
4.  Acceptance in the community -- We become .net programmers.  Every
language compiles to the CLR.  We will be on equal footing with all other
languages.

  There is even RPG for .Net why not Clarion?

Quote:
>   I hope that SoftVelocity does not spend any time or resources on .NET
> until MS has decided what they are going to do with it. The recently put
> off the by two years the next version of Windows, which will be the
> first .NET OS. That will be 2005. Also I have seen that .NET is closely
> tied to C# and any other languages that want to run with the CLR, will
> have to have the languages modified to fit into MS language rules.
>   If you want .NET that bad, SV has already given you the tools to write
> C# code. Just learn the template language. SV should put their focus on
> updating the Template language instead of .NET

> Ron

> > Does anybody know if Softvelocity is planning a .NET version of
> > Clarion ? Carl.

Tue, 23 Mar 2004 04:58:11 GMT
 .NET & Clarion
Tim,

IIRC at a user group meeting a few months back, we were informed that SV has
two choices in this area:

1) Make a .NET IDE (compiler, interpretor, etc).
2) Use existing technology to generate .NET compatible languages.

Seems option two is far cheaper and faster to market <g>

--
Russ
"My spell checker makes it read more better"

But there are a lot of advantages to having Clarion on .Net.  Here a few in
my opinion

1.  32 bit IDE that SV doesn't have to mess with much
2.  Intellisense editing
3.  Easily create web forms and finally chunk the app broker
4.  Acceptance in the community -- We become .net programmers.  Every
language compiles to the CLR.  We will be on equal footing with all other
languages.

  There is even RPG for .Net why not Clarion?

Tue, 23 Mar 2004 05:17:33 GMT
 .NET & Clarion

I can see where that would be faster to market, but I see it as a temporary
interium solution.  After Clarion 5.6 comes out and all the threading issues
are overcome, bite the bullet and go all .net.  Microsoft is working with
any vendor who wants to put their product on .Net.  Let MS worry about the
IDE, de{*filter*} as so forth,  and let SV focus on the meat of the compiler and
the language.  I am sure that I am making this sound simple, but it probably
is a HUGE endeavor.  However, rewriting the IDE and de{*filter*} for C6 in 32
bit is not a small task either.

Tim

Quote:
> Tim,

> IIRC at a user group meeting a few months back, we were informed that SV
has
> two choices in this area:

> 1) Make a .NET IDE (compiler, interpretor, etc).
> 2) Use existing technology to generate .NET compatible languages.

> Seems option two is far cheaper and faster to market <g>

> --
> Russ
> "My spell checker makes it read more better"

> But there are a lot of advantages to having Clarion on .Net.  Here a few
in
> my opinion

> 1.  32 bit IDE that SV doesn't have to mess with much
> 2.  Intellisense editing
> 3.  Easily create web forms and finally chunk the app broker
> 4.  Acceptance in the community -- We become .net programmers.  Every
> language compiles to the CLR.  We will be on equal footing with all other
> languages.

>   There is even RPG for .Net why not Clarion?

Tue, 23 Mar 2004 05:22:43 GMT
 .NET & Clarion

Quote:

> But there are a lot of advantages to having Clarion on .Net.  Here a few in
> my opinion

> 1.  32 bit IDE that SV doesn't have to mess with much

Which doesn't have the ability to use template languages. So you are back to
hand coding your apps.

Quote:

> 2.  Intellisense editing

Why edit when you have your IDE generate your code for you.

Quote:

> 3.  Easily create web forms and finally chunk the app broker
> 4.  Acceptance in the community -- We become .net programmers.  Every
> language compiles to the CLR.  We will be on equal footing with all other
> languages.

Not all programming languages will work with .NET and actually few have been
able to work with .NET without either loosing the features of the language or
having to rewrite additional elements into the language. Examples of this are
Perl.NET and Python.NET. Both are currently unusable unless either Perl or
python changes or .NET changes.
Quote:

>   There is even RPG for .Net why not Clarion?

> >   I hope that SoftVelocity does not spend any time or resources on .NET
> > until MS has decided what they are going to do with it. The recently put
> > off the by two years the next version of Windows, which will be the
> > first .NET OS. That will be 2005. Also I have seen that .NET is closely
> > tied to C# and any other languages that want to run with the CLR, will
> > have to have the languages modified to fit into MS language rules.
> >   If you want .NET that bad, SV has already given you the tools to write
> > C# code. Just learn the template language. SV should put their focus on
> > updating the Template language instead of .NET

> > Ron

> > > Does anybody know if Softvelocity is planning a .NET version of
> > > Clarion ? Carl.

Tue, 23 Mar 2004 05:30:24 GMT
 .NET & Clarion
I think you will be able to make .NET apps with what they are thinking.  I
can't comment on the details as I have none.  Until .NET is released, I
would not expect any details anyway.  It is a moving target at this stage.

I do like the premise behind it, just a matter of making it a reality.

--
Russ
"My spell checker makes it read more better"

I can see where that would be faster to market, but I see it as a temporary
interium solution.  After Clarion 5.6 comes out and all the threading issues
are overcome, bite the bullet and go all .net.  Microsoft is working with
any vendor who wants to put their product on .Net.  Let MS worry about the
IDE, de{*filter*} as so forth,  and let SV focus on the meat of the compiler and
the language.  I am sure that I am making this sound simple, but it probably
is a HUGE endeavor.  However, rewriting the IDE and de{*filter*} for C6 in 32
bit is not a small task either.

Tim

Tue, 23 Mar 2004 07:52:13 GMT

1. Tk.Net, GTK.Net, and FOX.Net?

2. Clarion 4 & Clarion 5EE

3. Clarion Newsgroup (comp.lang.clarion) & mailing list

4. Clarion on the Net vs. Cold Fusion

5. Clarion over Net

6. Clarion.net

7. .NET and Clarion

8. Clarion ODBC drivers and Microsoft Visual Basic .net?

9. Clarion and Visual Studio .NET

10. APL & Microsoft VS.NET

11. QKS & Microsoft .NET

12. Net Cards, & TPS Files Over a Network