error 37 File not open using a variable file name
Author Message
 error 37 File not open using a variable file name

Hi everyone,
   I am again more than a little confused. I am using C5.5PE(h) with
ABC. I am STILL trying to learn ABC. I am getting better. Anyway, I
will quit wasting you time. I have another problem.:)
   I have a file that uses a variable to set the file name. I close
the file or make sure that it is closed before setting the file name
to a different name and then I reopen it using ACCESS:FILENAME.OPEN()
which seems to work very well, the first time it is opened. These are
all designer generated apps. I can open a browse just fine and see the
listing of what is in the file after I first set the filename. But If
I close the file and rename it and then try to use the browse I get an
error 37 because it tells me that I am trying to access the file
before it is opened. I have checked the source and all the embeds and
I cannot file the problem. Has anyone else had this problem. Thanks in
advance.

Bob Lewis

Sun, 25 Sep 2005 09:10:30 GMT
 error 37 File not open using a variable file name
In what embed are you closing, renaming and re-opening the
file?

Are you following the .OPEN with a .USEFILE?

Steve Parker

kb and download center at:
     www.par2.com
KB: http://www.par2.com/cws/c5launch.dll/FAQS/THEFAQS.exe.0

"The improbable, we do. The impossible takes a bit longer."

Quote:
> Hi everyone,
>    I am again more than a little confused. I am using C5.5PE(h) with
> ABC. I am STILL trying to learn ABC. I am getting better. Anyway, I
> will quit wasting you time. I have another problem.:)
>    I have a file that uses a variable to set the file name. I close
> the file or make sure that it is closed before setting the file name
> to a different name and then I reopen it using ACCESS:FILENAME.OPEN()
> which seems to work very well, the first time it is opened. These are
> all designer generated apps. I can open a browse just fine and see the
> listing of what is in the file after I first set the filename. But If
> I close the file and rename it and then try to use the browse I get an
> error 37 because it tells me that I am trying to access the file
> before it is opened. I have checked the source and all the embeds and
> I cannot file the problem. Has anyone else had this problem. Thanks in
> advance.

> Bob Lewis

Sun, 25 Sep 2005 09:16:54 GMT
 error 37 File not open using a variable file name
Hi Steve,
   I am putting the code into the Open Procedure Virtual on the Browse
   the code is:

   Access:SSMSurvey.Close()
   g_SSMFile = clip(g_Series) & Clip(g_Month) & g_Year &
clip(g_Bureau)
   Access:SSMSurvey.Open()

  g_SSMFile is the variable for the file SSMSurvey. Thanks for the
quick response. :)

Bob

On Tue, 8 Apr 2003 20:16:54 -0500, "Steve Parker"

Quote:

>In what embed are you closing, renaming and re-opening the
>file?

>Are you following the .OPEN with a .USEFILE?

>Steve Parker

>kb and download center at:
>     www.par2.com
>KB: http://www.par2.com/cws/c5launch.dll/FAQS/THEFAQS.exe.0

>"The improbable, we do. The impossible takes a bit longer."

>> Hi everyone,
>>    I am again more than a little confused. I am using C5.5PE(h) with
>> ABC. I am STILL trying to learn ABC. I am getting better. Anyway, I
>> will quit wasting you time. I have another problem.:)
>>    I have a file that uses a variable to set the file name. I close
>> the file or make sure that it is closed before setting the file name
>> to a different name and then I reopen it using ACCESS:FILENAME.OPEN()
>> which seems to work very well, the first time it is opened. These are
>> all designer generated apps. I can open a browse just fine and see the
>> listing of what is in the file after I first set the filename. But If
>> I close the file and rename it and then try to use the browse I get an
>> error 37 because it tells me that I am trying to access the file
>> before it is opened. I have checked the source and all the embeds and
>> I cannot file the problem. Has anyone else had this problem. Thanks in
>> advance.

>> Bob Lewis

Sun, 25 Sep 2005 11:03:06 GMT
 error 37 File not open using a variable file name
After resetting the name, do

Open(SSMSurvey)
stop(errorcode())

and see what error is returned.

Steve Parker

kb and download center at:
     www.par2.com
KB: http://www.par2.com/cws/c5launch.dll/FAQS/THEFAQS.exe.0

"The improbable, we do. The impossible takes a bit longer."

Sun, 25 Sep 2005 18:48:15 GMT
 error 37 File not open using a variable file name
Good morning Steve,
   I put the stop in as suggested and got an error code of 0, and the
list displayed behind the dialog. I pressed the ignore once and got
another 0 then pressed ignore and got a 52. If I go to a procedure
without the stop I get the error immediately that tells me I tried to
use the file before it was opened error 37. Strange. Does this give
you any new ideas?

Thanks,
Bob Lewis

On Wed, 9 Apr 2003 05:48:15 -0500, "Steve Parker"

Quote:

>After resetting the name, do

>Open(SSMSurvey)
>stop(errorcode())

>and see what error is returned.

>Steve Parker

>kb and download center at:
>     www.par2.com
>KB: http://www.par2.com/cws/c5launch.dll/FAQS/THEFAQS.exe.0

>"The improbable, we do. The impossible takes a bit longer."

Mon, 26 Sep 2005 00:11:56 GMT
 error 37 File not open using a variable file name
I'm thinking the file isn't really closed from the first time.
I'm thinking you're priming/re-priming it too late. It must
be no later than the OpenFile embed.

Steve Parker

kb and download center at:
     www.par2.com
KB: http://www.par2.com/cws/c5launch.dll/FAQS/THEFAQS.exe.0

"The improbable, we do. The impossible takes a bit longer."

Quote:
> Good morning Steve,
>    I put the stop in as suggested and got an error code of 0, and the
> list displayed behind the dialog. I pressed the ignore once and got
> another 0 then pressed ignore and got a 52. If I go to a procedure
> without the stop I get the error immediately that tells me I tried to
> use the file before it was opened error 37. Strange. Does this give
> you any new ideas?

> Thanks,
> Bob Lewis

> On Wed, 9 Apr 2003 05:48:15 -0500, "Steve Parker"

> >After resetting the name, do

> >Open(SSMSurvey)
> >stop(errorcode())

> >and see what error is returned.

> >Steve Parker

> >--------------------------------------------------
> >kb and download center at:
> >     www.par2.com
> >KB: http://www.par2.com/cws/c5launch.dll/FAQS/THEFAQS.exe.0
> >--------------------------------------------------

> >"The improbable, we do. The impossible takes a bit longer."

Mon, 26 Sep 2005 01:32:07 GMT
 error 37 File not open using a variable file name
Thanks Steve, I will look into this a little closer. I appreciate the
thoughts.

Bob Lewis

On Wed, 9 Apr 2003 12:32:07 -0500, "Steve Parker"

Quote:

>I'm thinking the file isn't really closed from the first time.
>I'm thinking you're priming/re-priming it too late. It must
>be no later than the OpenFile embed.

>Steve Parker

>kb and download center at:
>     www.par2.com
>KB: http://www.par2.com/cws/c5launch.dll/FAQS/THEFAQS.exe.0

>"The improbable, we do. The impossible takes a bit longer."

>> Good morning Steve,
>>    I put the stop in as suggested and got an error code of 0, and the
>> list displayed behind the dialog. I pressed the ignore once and got
>> another 0 then pressed ignore and got a 52. If I go to a procedure
>> without the stop I get the error immediately that tells me I tried to
>> use the file before it was opened error 37. Strange. Does this give
>> you any new ideas?

>> Thanks,
>> Bob Lewis

>> On Wed, 9 Apr 2003 05:48:15 -0500, "Steve Parker"

>> >After resetting the name, do

>> >Open(SSMSurvey)
>> >stop(errorcode())

>> >and see what error is returned.

>> >Steve Parker

>> >--------------------------------------------------
>> >kb and download center at:
>> >     www.par2.com
>> >KB: http://www.par2.com/cws/c5launch.dll/FAQS/THEFAQS.exe.0
>> >--------------------------------------------------

>> >"The improbable, we do. The impossible takes a bit longer."

Mon, 26 Sep 2005 02:49:24 GMT

1. File not open (37) and No Bind on variable (801)errors

2. Intermittant Error 37 File Not Open Error on Network

3. File not open error 37

4. File not open Error 37

5. Error 37 File not open

6. ABC: File not open 37 - Templates translated from 2003

7. Error 37 using serial port with an executable file

8. DOS File Lookup - just the file name, not the path AND file name

9. Multi DLL with Variable File Name, got Invalid Data File(36) error

10. MSSQL7 + C5ee errors(37,89) after PUT(file)

11. I start to get error 37 when using COM1 from an executable which worked ok

12. Problem using OPEN command with an integer file name