Slow Browse on Form
Author Message
 Slow Browse on Form

Why is it that a browse on a file which is ranged on a key takes 1.45
minutes to load when the browse is added as a control template on a Form
procedure and the same file ranged the same way on a browse which is on
a Browse procedure takes about 5 seconds ?

This is on a Wan with a 64k ISDN link.

Is this normal behaviour ?

using C4b abc templates and Btrieve file driver.

...Regards ... Paul P.

Tue, 13 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Slow Browse on Form
No need to reply on this one - browse had a TOTAL on a local field within
it, so the whole file was being read. Removed the TOTAL code and updated the
value as the local activity dictated.

Regards,
Warren Marshall

Wed, 14 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Slow Browse on Form
Hi Warren,
                thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately it has not worked.
The browse on the form still is very slow.  In fact,  it appears on the form to
be d/ling 2 meg of data which (I calculate) is about the size of the total
invoice records for the Debtor.  On a phone line running at about 28.8k  it took
about 14 mins before I saw the data.  Looking at the same subset of a data in a
Browse procedure it took < 30 secs.  So, it's still go me puzzled.  Any more
suggestions appreciated.

...Regards ...Paul P.

Quote:

> No need to reply on this one - browse had a TOTAL on a local field within
> it, so the whole file was being read. Removed the TOTAL code and updated the
> value as the local activity dictated.

> Regards,
> Warren Marshall

Fri, 16 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Slow Browse on Form

Quote:

> same file ranged the same way on a browse which is on
> a Browse procedure takes about 5 seconds ?

Paul,

Are the contents of the two listboxes the same (on the Form and on the
Browse)? In particular is the one on the form doing any special lookups
or formatting (especially by calling a function)?

The place I've had slowww browses in ABC is when calling a function to
format data, where that function referred to a file which had lots of
relationships to other files...  JAT.

John Newman
Software Partners Australia Pty Ltd

Sat, 17 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Slow Browse on Form
Hi John,
            tftr, it appears to have been an excessive use of
ThisWindow.Reset(1) which was causing the problem.  When I substituted
BRWx.ResetQueue(1) the browse on the form loaded and refreshed much more
like the other one, loading a page instead of all the records for the
Customer.
Quote:

> > same file ranged the same way on a browse which is on
> > a Browse procedure takes about 5 seconds ?

> Paul,

> Are the contents of the two listboxes the same (on the Form and on the
> Browse)? In particular is the one on the form doing any special lookups
> or formatting (especially by calling a function)?

> The place I've had slowww browses in ABC is when calling a function to
> format data, where that function referred to a file which had lots of
> relationships to other files...  JAT.

> John Newman
> Software Partners Australia Pty Ltd

Wed, 21 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. browse on a form;form not saved

2. browse-form-browse and eip

3. Browse On Form Reads Entire Range Instead of a Single Browse Page

4. refreshing browse box on form from parent browse

5. Form is slow getting up to speed

6. Bizzare slowing down in forms ...

7. slow form

8. Clip 5.3 Form Designer SLOW screens

9. Slow redirect with header() when form posted.

10. Parent twin browse slow

11. C55 Web Browse Slow unless Administrator

12. Hot fields slow to display on second browse