Unstable app under Win2K
Author Message
 Unstable app under Win2K

Hi all,

We have a C5.5d app (32bit, legacy, multi DLL) that is behaving (or should I
say, misbehaving) under Windows 2000 (Professional version service pack 2,
release 5.00.2195).

The Clarion app randomly crashes at several points of execution.  A typical
example would be a menu option in DLL A calls a Window procedure on DLL B.
If I then close the window on DLL B and reopen it and close it again doing
this several times, eventually the app GPFs.  Other crashes are more severe
such as all of a sudden not being able to logout transactions.

The app runs totally fine under Win95/98 and NT4.  Since the app runs fine
under these OSs I would lean towards blaming Win2K but that offers little
consolation. Any clues?

Thanks,

Pepe (a very stressed dude at the moment)

Tue, 23 Mar 2004 08:37:48 GMT
 Unstable app under Win2K
Pepe,

We are currently researching a possible formatting issue with Win-2k

Apparently you can format the HDD "normal" with 512 bytes p/sector, or they
can format it (if they can then they will) either 2,048 or 4,086 p/sector
(not sure on those sizes yet).

Here is our experience:

A legacy/ABC app (half converted to ABC) created in CW55 Gold - worked fine
on a Win-2000 machine that was formatted 2,048 (or whatever) but a later
compile (still CW55 Gold) would not run.

We don't know what we changed (actually we are fairly confident we changed
nothing that would effect it - minor stuff) and suspect the user was
previously formatted at 512 and only thinks it was the same as now.

We are asking as many as we can to get to the bottom of this.

Oh - the later compile won't even load - crashes when loading the Exe.

Ron M.

Quote:
> Hi all,

> We have a C5.5d app (32bit, legacy, multi DLL) that is behaving (or should
> say, misbehaving) under Windows 2000 (Professional version service pack 2,
> release 5.00.2195).

> The Clarion app randomly crashes at several points of execution.  A
typical
> example would be a menu option in DLL A calls a Window procedure on DLL B.
> If I then close the window on DLL B and reopen it and close it again doing
> this several times, eventually the app GPFs.  Other crashes are more
severe
> such as all of a sudden not being able to logout transactions.

> The app runs totally fine under Win95/98 and NT4.  Since the app runs fine
> under these OSs I would lean towards blaming Win2K but that offers little
> consolation. Any clues?

> Thanks,

> Pepe (a very stressed dude at the moment)

Tue, 23 Mar 2004 09:58:30 GMT
 Unstable app under Win2K
Pepe,

We are now confident it has nothing to do with the way they format the HDD
(512 or 2048 p/sector).

The O/S appears to handle this correctly.

It just has to be something to do with the way they have set it up.

Rest assured we have tested under both formats, and that is not the problem.

If (when) we find out what causes this, we will post it here.

Ron M.

Quote:
> Hi all,

> We have a C5.5d app (32bit, legacy, multi DLL) that is behaving (or should
> say, misbehaving) under Windows 2000 (Professional version service pack 2,
> release 5.00.2195).

> The Clarion app randomly crashes at several points of execution.  A
typical
> example would be a menu option in DLL A calls a Window procedure on DLL B.
> If I then close the window on DLL B and reopen it and close it again doing
> this several times, eventually the app GPFs.  Other crashes are more
severe
> such as all of a sudden not being able to logout transactions.

> The app runs totally fine under Win95/98 and NT4.  Since the app runs fine
> under these OSs I would lean towards blaming Win2K but that offers little
> consolation. Any clues?

> Thanks,

> Pepe (a very stressed dude at the moment)

Tue, 23 Mar 2004 14:26:57 GMT
 Unstable app under Win2K
Hey Pepe,

We're facing the same problem, but we have a different variable: we're using
MySQL... how about you?

Gustavo Pinsard

Wed, 24 Mar 2004 03:23:08 GMT
 Unstable app under Win2K
We are using TPS files and ASCII for data export.

Quote:
> Hey Pepe,

> We're facing the same problem, but we have a different variable: we're
using
> MySQL... how about you?

> Gustavo Pinsard

Fri, 26 Mar 2004 07:23:35 GMT
 Unstable app under Win2K
Ron,

Please, please let me know if you find any clues.  I will do the same.  In
our desperation, we tried recompiling the apps using different stack sizes,
moving modules around, etc. to no avail.

The only thing that made a difference and actually stopped the apps crashing
at two very conspicuous places was placing a Yield() statement in the
ProcedureReturn of a couple of procedures.  This is just a stop gap (hack)
solution but the app crashes at other points with or without the Yield()
statements, anyway.

Quote:
> Pepe,

> We are now confident it has nothing to do with the way they format the HDD
> (512 or 2048 p/sector).

> The O/S appears to handle this correctly.

> It just has to be something to do with the way they have set it up.

> Rest assured we have tested under both formats, and that is not the
problem.

> If (when) we find out what causes this, we will post it here.

> Ron M.

> > Hi all,

> > We have a C5.5d app (32bit, legacy, multi DLL) that is behaving (or
should
> > say, misbehaving) under Windows 2000 (Professional version service pack
2,
> > release 5.00.2195).

> > The Clarion app randomly crashes at several points of execution.  A
> typical
> > example would be a menu option in DLL A calls a Window procedure on DLL
B.
> > If I then close the window on DLL B and reopen it and close it again
doing
> > this several times, eventually the app GPFs.  Other crashes are more
> severe
> > such as all of a sudden not being able to logout transactions.

> > The app runs totally fine under Win95/98 and NT4.  Since the app runs
fine
> > under these OSs I would lean towards blaming Win2K but that offers
little
> > consolation. Any clues?

> > Thanks,

> > Pepe (a very stressed dude at the moment)

Fri, 26 Mar 2004 07:28:58 GMT
 Unstable app under Win2K
Pepe,

Just a thought, probably wrong... On BREAK you CLOSE the window.  On RETURN
you don't.  In your Of  ?cmdClose have you tried to CLOSE the window, then
RETURN?  1st thought is that multiple non-closure of the window might be
using up memory, or... ???

Art

Quote:
> I've found the culprit (or part of it). It seems that under certain
> circumstances, if you return from a procedure without

> breaking out of the Accept loop a GPF occurs or the system becomes
unstable.
> Example:

> !***************************

> Open(myWindow)

> Accept
>     Case Field()
>     Of  ?cmdOK
>     If Event() = EVENT:Accepted Then Break.

>     Of  ?cmdClose
>     If Event() = EVENT:Accepted Then Return.

> End

> Close(myWindow)

> !**************************

> The cmdClose code makes the app crash.

> I could only replicate this under Windows 2000 Server and Windows 2000
> Professional.

> Win95/98 were OK.  Also, this doesn't always happen but I manage to do it
> with the attached example.

> I would be very interested if you manage to replicate the bug.

> > Hi all,

> > We have a C5.5d app (32bit, legacy, multi DLL) that is behaving (or
should
> > say, misbehaving) under Windows 2000 (Professional version service pack
2,
> > release 5.00.2195).

> > The Clarion app randomly crashes at several points of execution.  A
> typical
> > example would be a menu option in DLL A calls a Window procedure on DLL
B.
> > If I then close the window on DLL B and reopen it and close it again
doing
> > this several times, eventually the app GPFs.  Other crashes are more
> severe
> > such as all of a sudden not being able to logout transactions.

> > The app runs totally fine under Win95/98 and NT4.  Since the app runs
fine
> > under these OSs I would lean towards blaming Win2K but that offers
little
> > consolation. Any clues?

> > Thanks,

> > Pepe (a very stressed dude at the moment)

Sat, 27 Mar 2004 12:17:27 GMT
 Unstable app under Win2K
Fellows, I did the close( FormWindow ) test and it showed this is not the
path to follow. At least for us here.

Instead, we noticed that if we close every file that we opened at the
procedure level, sequent entering procedures would work correctly.

This leads me to think that were going back to BASIC days, when we needed
to keep closing everything we used after we didnt need them anymore.

However, in the modern scenario, in a  business application, its not
likelly that a given file is going to be used just once. And I remember that
in older Clarion versions, you did have the option to leave the file opened
when leaving a procedure.

Now, realize a situation where I have a function, that deals with some file,
and it can receive a parameter or not... either way, I need to make sure the
file is opened, so I RELATE:file.open()

Lets suppose that, when done with the functions work, accordingly to this
new open/close rule, I need to RELATE:file.close()

What happens if the calling procedure also needs that file opened? One will
say that due to Clarions thread management, the calling procedures thread
would still have the file in its memory area. But heck! the damn thing used
to work in the first place and it is no longer working automatically...
Grrr....

I would like to hear some comments from SV on this...

Regards

Sun, 28 Mar 2004 01:52:39 GMT
 Unstable app under Win2K
Fellows,

I found that if I use RELATE:file.open() instead of ACCESS:file.open() I get
the error we're talking about...

Don't ask me why. Just replace RELATE for ACCESS in a test procedure, and
see if you can solve this, as I did.

Regards

Sun, 28 Mar 2004 05:54:22 GMT
 Unstable app under Win2K
Hi Gustavo,

On Tue, 9 Oct 2001 18:54:22 -0300, "Gustavo Pinsard"

Quote:

>I found that if I use RELATE:file.open() instead of ACCESS:file.open() I get
>the error we're talking about...

Relate will open the file AND all related child files until there are
no more related files.  Access will ONLY open the file itself and will
not try to open related files.  Lets say you have:

Customers
  Orders
  Invoice
    InvoiceLines
      Items

Access:Customers.Open will only open the Customers file, while
Relate:Customers.Open will open Customers, Orders, Invoice,
InvoiceLines and Items.

Best regards,

Arnr Baldvinsson
San Antonio, Texas, USA
www.icetips.com & www.candobidding.com

ICQ:  113314380

Sun, 28 Mar 2004 07:44:07 GMT

 [ 24 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. Problem running a deployed app on Win2K

2. Strange behaviour cw app with win2k

3. Clipper app freezes under win2k

4. Legacy Clipper S87 app problems under WinME/Win2K

5. Clipper app and mouse on Win NT Workstat/ Win2K

6. Win2K Clipper app with mouse and properties of shortcut

7. App running on win2k INITHANDL$ Error 650

8. Clipper app on Win2K - video problem

9. Move C87 app from Win95 to Win2k machine

10. Clipper 5 app on Win2K workstation [?]

11. App-Ref: Need to break up a large App, App-Ref can help

12. work with unstable stdout content