Open a file in Word
Author Message
 Open a file in Word

Need help

I'm trying to open a document in MS Word by highlighting a row (containing a
string c:\test.doc)  in a browsewindow and then pressing a button at the
bottem of the screen.  (which should launch msword with the document)

I only get the Button to launch word, I don't know how I can lanch the
highlighted doc?

Can anyone help me??

Thanks in advance.

Jeroen van Bergen

Sun, 29 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Open a file in Word
if you can't get word to launch with the doucment with a stament like

msword.exe "c:\test.doc"

then I'd get a product like PowerRun.
It basically can "throw" a file against hte operating system and the operating
system determines what to open it with (sort of like double-clicking on a file
in Windows Explorer).  You can find lnks to PowerRun (and a whole lot of other
stuff) at
http://www.tomruby.com/

        Tim

Quote:

--
Tim Phillips
Vermont Agency of Natural Resources

Sun, 29 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Open a file in Word
word will lanch with the docment

but the name is not test each time. the names of the document are variabe
(the user can give the document any name he likes)
word shoud open the document which is highlited in the browse window (when
the button is pressed)

 perhaps it can be done without a extra tool??

thanks already
Jeroen

Quote:
> if you can't get word to launch with the doucment with a stament like

> msword.exe "c:\test.doc"

> then I'd get a product like PowerRun.
> It basically can "throw" a file against hte operating system and the
operating
> system determines what to open it with (sort of like double-clicking on a
file
> in Windows Explorer).  You can find lnks to PowerRun (and a whole lot of
other
> stuff) at
> http://www.tomruby.com/

>         Tim

> > Need help

> > I'm trying to open a document in MS Word by highlighting a row
(containing a
> > string c:\test.doc)  in a browsewindow and then pressing a button at the
> > bottem of the screen.  (which should launch msword with the document)

> > I only get the Button to launch word, I don't know how I can lanch the
> > highlighted doc?

> > Can anyone help me??

> > Thanks in advance.

> > Jeroen van Bergen

> --
> Tim Phillips
> Vermont Agency of Natural Resources
> Department of Environmental Conservation

Sun, 29 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Open a file in Word
Hi Jeroen,

the code for the run statement should be similar to

run('"\program files\microsoft office\office\winword.exe" c:\test.doc')

or probably

run('"\program files\microsoft office\office\winword.exe" ' & loc:file)

with loc:file being the variable holding your filename.

This works on my  system.

HTH

Peter Rens (Advantage Software B.V.)
Amsterdam, the Netherlands
http://www.advantages.nl
TopSpeed Software Distributor

Sun, 29 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Open a file in Word
1.  Goto http://clarioncentral.com
2.  Download Internet Link template (free)
3.  Register template.
4.  Embed control template into button.  Options are email or http, select
http and put in your file name.  If it's a variable, put ! in front, like
CUS:Document

Background:  The Internet Link template automatically prototypes the
ShellExecute API so that you can launch an application by launching an
associated file.

Quote:
> Need help

> I'm trying to open a document in MS Word by highlighting a row (containing
> string c:\test.doc)  in a browsewindow and then pressing a button at the
> bottem of the screen.  (which should launch msword with the document)

> I only get the Button to launch word, I don't know how I can lanch the
> highlighted doc?

> Can anyone help me??

> Thanks in advance.

> Jeroen van Bergen

Sun, 29 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Open a file in Word

Hi,

I use PowerRun to do exactly what you want. I have a browse that lists
my favourite documents, web pages, spreadsheets etc by the path and name
(eg. C:\Docs\MyDoc.doc), and when highlighted and the button pressed
heypresto the file opens. It took me all of 30 minutes to program it. It
uses Shell Execute for its functionality, but also a lot more to boot.

Tony

Quote:

> word will lanch with the docment

> but the name is not test each time. the names of the document are variabe
> (the user can give the document any name he likes)
> word shoud open the document which is highlited in the browse window (when
> the button is pressed)

>  perhaps it can be done without a extra tool??

> thanks already
> Jeroen

> > if you can't get word to launch with the doucment with a stament like

> > msword.exe "c:\test.doc"

> > then I'd get a product like PowerRun.
> > It basically can "throw" a file against hte operating system and the
> operating
> > system determines what to open it with (sort of like double-clicking on a
> file
> > in Windows Explorer).  You can find lnks to PowerRun (and a whole lot of
> other
> > stuff) at
> > http://www.tomruby.com/

> >         Tim

> > > Need help

> > > I'm trying to open a document in MS Word by highlighting a row
> (containing a
> > > string c:\test.doc)  in a browsewindow and then pressing a button at the
> > > bottem of the screen.  (which should launch msword with the document)

> > > I only get the Button to launch word, I don't know how I can lanch the
> > > highlighted doc?

> > > Can anyone help me??

> > > Thanks in advance.

> > > Jeroen van Bergen

> > --
> > Tim Phillips
> > Vermont Agency of Natural Resources
> > Department of Environmental Conservation

  vcard.vcf
< 1K Download

Mon, 30 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Open a file in Word
Hello!
I suggest you to use ShellExecute function. I think it's only one right way.

Regards!
--
Sergei.

-------------------
Arsis Corp.
Russia, Moscow.

Quote:
> Need help

> I'm trying to open a document in MS Word by highlighting a row (containing
> string c:\test.doc)  in a browsewindow and then pressing a button at the
> bottem of the screen.  (which should launch msword with the document)

> I only get the Button to launch word, I don't know how I can lanch the
> highlighted doc?

> Can anyone help me??

> Thanks in advance.

> Jeroen van Bergen

Mon, 30 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Open a file in Word
OK, so you are using the RUN() command.
Just assemble the file name at runtime.

What I would do is create a local variable that is a long string.
Then I would do assignments to create the command I wanted to run

LocalStr='msword.exe'
LocalString=CLIP(LocalStr) & '"' & FileName '"'
Run(LocalStr)

        Tim

Quote:

> word will lanch with the docment

> but the name is not test each time. the names of the document are variabe
> (the user can give the document any name he likes)
> word shoud open the document which is highlited in the browse window (when
> the button is pressed)

>  perhaps it can be done without a extra tool??

> thanks already
> Jeroen

> > if you can't get word to launch with the doucment with a stament like

> > msword.exe "c:\test.doc"

> > then I'd get a product like PowerRun.
> > It basically can "throw" a file against hte operating system and the
> operating
> > system determines what to open it with (sort of like double-clicking on a
> file
> > in Windows Explorer).  You can find lnks to PowerRun (and a whole lot of
> other
> > stuff) at
> > http://www.tomruby.com/

> >         Tim

> > > Need help

> > > I'm trying to open a document in MS Word by highlighting a row
> (containing a
> > > string c:\test.doc)  in a browsewindow and then pressing a button at the
> > > bottem of the screen.  (which should launch msword with the document)

> > > I only get the Button to launch word, I don't know how I can lanch the
> > > highlighted doc?

> > > Can anyone help me??

> > > Thanks in advance.

> > > Jeroen van Bergen

> > --
> > Tim Phillips
> > Vermont Agency of Natural Resources
> > Department of Environmental Conservation

--
Tim Phillips
Vermont Agency of Natural Resources
Department of Environmental Conservation

Mon, 30 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Open a file in Word
thanks for all your advise

Jeroen

Mon, 30 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. File Open, or not Open, question

2. OPEN(VIEW) without OPEN(FILE)

3. Opening a file already open

4. opening existing files with OPEN()

5. opening a file opens it in Notepad

6. opening 'file open' dialog from console

7. multiple use of with-open-file, or with-open-stream

8. opening file vs. opening pipeline on NT.

9. Opening file vs. opening pipeline on NT.

10. Importing Word format file to text file

11. open Word within an application

12. OLE + opening a Word Template