OPEN(VIEW) without OPEN(FILE)
Author Message
 OPEN(VIEW) without OPEN(FILE)

Question to SuRF:

Will it be possible (C4?) to use OPEN(VIEW) without prior OPEN(FILE) ?
(especially on SQL and/or ODBC)

Very often we use browse boxes based on a view of a few fields
(typically 3-5). They are quite efficient on network bandwidth
utilization becouse they generate SELECT statement with adequate number
of columns. However, before OPEN(VIEW) you need OPEN(FILE) which
generates SELECT with all the fields (columns) in a file (often close to
a 100 in our case). Now, when user opens a browse box he generates
unnecessary network traffic each time an OPEN(FILE) statement is
executed.

Best regards,

Szymon Slupik
CDN - Compact Disc Novelty, Krakow, Poland

Sun, 06 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 OPEN(VIEW) without OPEN(FILE)

Quote:

> Will it be possible (C4?) to use OPEN(VIEW) without prior OPEN(FILE) ?
> (especially on SQL and/or ODBC)

No.

Quote:
> you need OPEN(FILE) which
> generates SELECT with all the fields (columns) in a file (often close to
> a 100 in our case).

There is a SELECT *, but not retrieval.  So there should be no data sent.
 C4's OPEN(file) uses a different approach which should be easily
optimised by your backend.

SuRF Down Under
(TopSpeed R&D)

Mon, 07 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Realbasic opens a window without a NewDocument event on opening the application

2. Changing open :element-type without re-opening.

3. No bind on variable View (801) attempting ot open the currewnt view

4. Opening a file for viewing or editing ?

5. Crosspost: View Bind \ File already open errors

6. View open files

7. Windows XP file access errors (View open error)

8. open txt file to excel in Lab view !

9. open and view a file

10. Opening an unformatted file without the knowledge of the content

11. Suggestions for truncating an open file (without unlocking)

12. convert txt excel file without open the excel application